Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #1

2016 Ram 6.4 Hemi

Two weeks ago, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with Ram Boxes and the 6.4 Hemi. I have always been a cummins guy, but saved $10,000 on the truck by going with the hemi. I have done lots of reviews and so far I have yet to come across any review saying they regret moving from the Cummins to the Hemi. Plus being a truck mechanic, I deal with lots of aftertreatment issues at work, and really don't want to deal with them at home also.

Mostly this truck is my daily driver. Of course it gets used for towing our RV and hauling my gooseneck around. Nothing near enough to justify a Cummins all of the time. I know at times I'm definitely going to miss the power, but I feel like it's worth a try.

Saving the money on the engine, I was able to order a several extras that I couldn't have ordered otherwise. I opted for the factory rear air suspension, bed camera, ram boxes, 20" wheels, etc.

Of course, now to the ram boxes. They obviously pose an issue with a fifth wheel. I believe I'm going to order the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. This seems like a perfect fit for my new application.

Truck will be here mid October. Wish me luck...

bed cam, air suspension
B&W Companion, Reese Airborne Sidewinder
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

I special ordered a 2015 of the same truck last year and have been very happy with it. For similar reasons I ordered the Hemi, we tow only a few times a year and FWIW the Hemi does a pretty good job when towing.

I will also say that this is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Its a really nice truck.

dspeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #3

that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
That does sound excessive. Is that what's stated in the manual? My manual for my 2015 2500 with 6.4 Hemi has normal maintenance intervals; plugs at 100K, Trans/trans case fluid at 120K, coolant 10 yrs/150K ... All reads pretty normal to me. Even the "Heavy Duty" intervals are 60K ... 30K sounds excessive unless you're driving it on Mars or something ...

I love the truck, it's perfect for me and how I use it, and it's nicer than the one before it, so I'm REALLY happy! Wish I could've justified the Cummins, but it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
I ordered the 4.10 rear end. Will keep yall posted on how it does when it comes in.
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #8

you get a 1000# more payload capacity with the hemi vs the cummins.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post

Larry J
Sounds like a special provision to maintain the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Keep in mind that the dealers are the ones making money on selling special warranties. If they didn't make money (extra maintenance) they wouldn't sell them.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
Most on the rv.net forums think everyone should have a dually with a diesel, even if your towing a pop-up.

My 2012 Ram 2500 with 5.7 Hemi 4:10 rear has no problems handling my Jayco Eagle tipping the CAT scale at 8400#.

Congrats on the new truck with the 6.4 Hemi

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote