Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tuscola
Posts: 208
2016 Ram 6.4 Hemi

Two weeks ago, I ordered a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab with Ram Boxes and the 6.4 Hemi. I have always been a cummins guy, but saved $10,000 on the truck by going with the hemi. I have done lots of reviews and so far I have yet to come across any review saying they regret moving from the Cummins to the Hemi. Plus being a truck mechanic, I deal with lots of aftertreatment issues at work, and really don't want to deal with them at home also.

Mostly this truck is my daily driver. Of course it gets used for towing our RV and hauling my gooseneck around. Nothing near enough to justify a Cummins all of the time. I know at times I'm definitely going to miss the power, but I feel like it's worth a try.

Saving the money on the engine, I was able to order a several extras that I couldn't have ordered otherwise. I opted for the factory rear air suspension, bed camera, ram boxes, 20" wheels, etc.

Of course, now to the ram boxes. They obviously pose an issue with a fifth wheel. I believe I'm going to order the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. This seems like a perfect fit for my new application.

Truck will be here mid October. Wish me luck...
__________________

__________________
2014 Eagle 34.5 BHTS FW
2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab
6.4L HEMI, 4.10 Rearend,
bed cam, air suspension
B&W Companion, Reese Airborne Sidewinder
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 13
I special ordered a 2015 of the same truck last year and have been very happy with it. For similar reasons I ordered the Hemi, we tow only a few times a year and FWIW the Hemi does a pretty good job when towing.

I will also say that this is by far my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Its a really nice truck.
__________________

dspeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
max2bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: bozeman,montana
Posts: 216
that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
__________________
2000 dodge ram laramie slt,cummins, 2014 jayco eagle touring edition 28.5 rkds, 1991 scamper 065s 2017 jayco 145rb baja edition
max2bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake George, NY
Posts: 251
Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Richmond
Posts: 188
As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
That does sound excessive. Is that what's stated in the manual? My manual for my 2015 2500 with 6.4 Hemi has normal maintenance intervals; plugs at 100K, Trans/trans case fluid at 120K, coolant 10 yrs/150K ... All reads pretty normal to me. Even the "Heavy Duty" intervals are 60K ... 30K sounds excessive unless you're driving it on Mars or something ...

I love the truck, it's perfect for me and how I use it, and it's nicer than the one before it, so I'm REALLY happy! Wish I could've justified the Cummins, but it just wouldn't be worth it for me.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tuscola
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by max2bob View Post
that is the truck I have my sights set on. what gears did you order? 3.73 or 4.10? congratulations on the new truck!
I ordered the 4.10 rear end. Will keep yall posted on how it does when it comes in.
Tgallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bremerton
Posts: 293
you get a 1000# more payload capacity with the hemi vs the cummins.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
As a Hemi owner ('07 Ram 5.7L 4x4) the truck has been great. This edition came with life time drive train warranty. No issues ever but probably won't get another Ram as every 30K miles must bring it in for 'all fluids' to be changed and motor tune up (16 plugs etc.), required maintenance schedule for the warranty. So in my 91K miles this has cost $3500. Friend with Chevy didn't have to bring his truck in until 100K miles for similar work and his truck worked just as well.. Not sure if newer models have similar maintenance schedule, but worth checking manual. Again great truck, fun to drive, handles my 264BHW just fine, just irritated about maintenance which to me is excessive.

Larry J
Sounds like a special provision to maintain the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Keep in mind that the dealers are the ones making money on selling special warranties. If they didn't make money (extra maintenance) they wouldn't sell them.

Cheers
__________________
2014 Jayco Swift 281BHS, 300W Solar!
2015 F250 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, Short box, 6.2 gas
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island NY & Peachtree City GA
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Stay away from the rv.net forums if you're a fan of this truck and motor combination. They're crucifying it over there for it's poor performance on a competitive / comparative test against the other brands. I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it seems to me that it's unfairly getting a bad rap over this one test in particular. As far as I'm concerned, if the truck works for what you bought it for then it's the right truck for you and your application...end of story. Enjoy the new rig.
Most on the rv.net forums think everyone should have a dually with a diesel, even if your towing a pop-up.

My 2012 Ram 2500 with 5.7 Hemi 4:10 rear has no problems handling my Jayco Eagle tipping the CAT scale at 8400#.

Congrats on the new truck with the 6.4 Hemi
__________________

__________________

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.