Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #1221

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
It's an electric start. The door is to access the front panel so I can plug in the propane line, outlets and start/battery buttons as well as extra venting. Yes, access to the pull cord in case I need it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a nice machine, and is quite fuel efficient. I guess I should've remembered it to have electric start from the link, sorry, but I easily get memory lapse, just ask my wife. She says things right to me and 3 min later it slips. I'm fearing getting older in front of everybody.

I read some more on it and see they didn't offer remote start. Is that an option that can be added later? So I'm guessing you would start it, run the ac about a couple hours ahead of your destination? I do recall, outside of memory lapse, last year in the 95 deg+ Texas heat, our rig's ac couldn't get the inside temp below 80 even after 2 hours. And that was before I cut 5/8" off each vent cylinder. Especially, I had no airflow above the fridge. Now I feel there's more airflow in all the vents I cut. I read this mod somewhere on this forum, and it struck me to pull that one vent out and sure enough, it sticks up into the duct over 1/2". So the airflow was just blowing over it like a windshield on a convertible. I missed cutting the loft vent, so maybe later I'll get to it. The main ac can now cool the rig better than it did before, and that is very nice when we sometimes only get a 30 amp site.

Keep us informed how it performs on the road. Did you order your rig with a gen prep? We did, in case we resale someday, in hopes we'd get the $975 back, as the sales rep recommended the option. I carry my Champion in that front compartment and have lots of room to spare, and I doubt I could ever substitute this model in its place, not having to lift it out each time to run it.

I always love to see the new things you come up with here on the forum....like I'm wanting shocks too for our 377.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #1222

Dskyward

No, the remote start is not something you can retro fit from my research on this model. But, I didn't dig too deeply into it. Don't worry, we all have memory lapses! [emoji3]

My rig didn't come with the generator prep (at least I don't remember seeing it on the option list, and there are no wires in my front compartment nor is there a transfer switch). In retrospect I wish I had gotten it.

My AC performance is similar to yours. Takes a long time to cool down the trailer. So, my thought was why not get a 2-4 hour head start by runny the gen set while on the road. I too have read about cutting the vents down here and on other forums but I've also read it didn't work for everyone so I've been on the fence about doing it. Heck, I may just do it anyway and see what happens. Couldn't hurt. Heading out to Lake Whitney tomorrow so I'll report my results.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #1223

Quote:
Dskyward

No, the remote start is not something you can retro fit from my research on this model. But, I didn't dig too deeply into it. Don't worry, we all have memory lapses! [emoji3]

My rig didn't come with the generator prep (at least I don't remember seeing it on the option list, and there are no wires in my front compartment nor is there a transfer switch). In retrospect I wish I had gotten it.

My AC performance is similar to yours. Takes a long time to cool down the trailer. So, my thought was why not get a 2-4 hour head start by runny the gen set while on the road. I too have read about cutting the vents down here and on other forums but I've also read it didn't work for everyone so I've been on the fence about doing it. Heck, I may just do it anyway and see what happens. Couldn't hurt. Heading out to Lake Whitney tomorrow so I'll report my results.

Yes, I agree, a good lead time will have it feeling like entering a nice 'personal' cool motel room when you get to your destination. Hopefully pushing the 4 slides out on arrival won't displace the effect too much. Oh I forgot, the basement is also cooled! So you will be bringing in still cooler air then the hot outside. Do you pull down your shades or put anything, like reflectix, over your windows while traveling? I'm told that makes a big difference, especially when traveling during hot sunny days. I bought 3 (4'x10') rolls of the stuff for all my windows when we were at the Texas Star Party in Fort Davis and could only get 30 amp service, plus all trailers and buildings had to be white light tight during night hours. Daytime highs hit almost 95 in the dry mountain air. One ac kept the whole rig in the low 70s. Then some nights dropped to the low 40s. Reflectix helped there again.

I've read where some veterans speak of just put that Cummins Onan up there and be done with it. I'm sure many here can't justify the incredible expense (close to 6K w/prep), but if you boondock a lot, and are up in years, your back may finally thank you. But then, aftter your 13 gal tank is dry, try refilling that while hitched.

Yes, have fun the lake! As you know, we're taking a break as our rig is with Jayco for the next 5 weeks getting the stress cracks and many other items repaired. Not sure if you or anyone else here would be interested in seeing my 46 item 4 pg list? I'll be happy to PM anyone who's interested. Or is it any merit to start a new topic for the 377 problem list for others to compare notes?
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Yes, I agree, a good lead time will have it feeling like entering a nice 'personal' cool motel room when you get to your destination. Hopefully pushing the 4 slides out on arrival won't displace the effect too much. Oh I forgot, the basement is also cooled! So you will be bringing in still cooler air then the hot outside. Do you pull down your shades or put anything, like reflectix, over your windows while traveling? I'm told that makes a big difference, especially when traveling during hot sunny days. I bought 3 (4'x10') rolls of the stuff for all my windows when we were at the Texas Star Party in Fort Davis and could only get 30 amp service, plus all trailers and buildings had to be white light tight during night hours. Daytime highs hit almost 95 in the dry mountain air. One ac kept the whole rig in the low 70s. Then some nights dropped to the low 40s. Reflectix helped there again.

I've read where some veterans speak of just put that Cummins Onan up there and be done with it. I'm sure many here can't justify the incredible expense (close to 6K w/prep), but if you boondock a lot, and are up in years, your back may finally thank you. But then, aftter your 13 gal tank is dry, try refilling that while hitched.

Yes, have fun the lake! As you know, we're taking a break as our rig is with Jayco for the next 5 weeks getting the stress cracks and many other items repaired. Not sure if you or anyone else here would be interested in seeing my 46 item 4 pg list? I'll be happy to PM anyone who's interested. Or is it any merit to start a new topic for the 377 problem list for others to compare notes?

We keep all shades down when in transit. I have added some reflectix to all my vents and on the bunk and loft windows. We have never boondocked so the gen prep was never a consideration. Even if we did, like you I doubt I would have ponied up that much money for the on board genny. I feel like the champion is a good solution for us. Another benefit is we can use it during a power outage at home and run it off propane.

We are going to Ft Davis at the end of the month. Our yearly trip to the mountains [emoji3]
Excited to have the genny because we stop off in junction to spend the night and it is always 100 plus degrees and the park only has 30 amps so it's usually 8-9:00 before the trailer has cooled down.

As far as your repairs, yes, I think it would be good to have a thread listing the major repairs needed and Jayco's process so that others can follow along and see the results. Plus, it'll be easier to find and people with different models/floor plans would be more inclined to read it.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #1225

Quote:
I second what Tom says. I've got the champion inverter generator also. However it has a 171cc displacement and is a 3100 starting and 2800 continuous, while I believe Tom's may be 192cc for higher wattage. One interesting note about mine is the label reads 2800 where an identical model reads 3100. I found out they were manufactured for Cosco and the only one I've seen that advertises the continuous wattage instead of the other way around. So whatever you see printed on the side is not continuous running wattage.

I got mine on eBay for $599 refurbished. The guy had 25 for sale and about 5 left when I ordered mine. When it arrived, there were no fingerprints on it and I believe it to have zero hours as he advertised less than 20 hrs on any of them. The good news is it'll start my 15k a/c on my 2017 377 as Coleman Mach has hard start capacitors as I made a phone call to them first. The better news is it'll still keep it running in the eco mode!

The DW and I added the gen prep at order for $970 I think for resale purposes, not wishing to ever spend $5000 on a Cummings Onan 5500 watt genset, and 300 lbs weight vs 95 lbs on this little Champion. It is quiet, so you can now shop with confidence. So far it starts first pull every time. Just need to put an hr meter on there. Plus this unit has parallel capability which is the only thing different from the 3100 twin.

So I'm new to all this. Will it run the AC and everything else in the rv at the same time? Does it charge the batteries? I guess I'm asking how it works?

Ashfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #1226

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfamilyof3 View Post
So I'm new to all this. Will it run the AC and everything else in the rv at the same time? Does it charge the batteries? I guess I'm asking how it works?

It will run the ac and charge the batteries. You can use the microwave but not at the same time as the ac. I haven't tested if you can use electric hot water and AC at the same time.

You just need a 30 amp adapter so you can plug your 50amp cord into the 30 amp outlet.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #1227

Quote:
We keep all shades down when in transit. I have added some reflectix to all my vents and on the bunk and loft windows. We have never boondocked so the gen prep was never a consideration. Even if we did, like you I doubt I would have ponied up that much money for the on board genny. I feel like the champion is a good solution for us. Another benefit is we can use it during a power outage at home and run it off propane.

We are going to Ft Davis at the end of the month. Our yearly trip to the mountains [emoji3]
Excited to have the genny because we stop off in junction to spend the night and it is always 100 plus degrees and the park only has 30 amps so it's usually 8-9:00 before the trailer has cooled down.

As far as your repairs, yes, I think it would be good to have a thread listing the major repairs needed and Jayco's process so that others can follow along and see the results. Plus, it'll be easier to find and people with different models/floor plans would be more inclined to read it.

Thanks, Tom. I'll look around first to see if anyone has started such a thread for warranty repair issues on any model.

I think the Champion Inverter genset is just an all around winner for the most bang for the buck, and application for rv or home and light enough for 1 person to lift. Right now we have a bike rack on the camper receiver, so not a consideration with us at this time.

We travel with shades up thinking there's excessive clanking and abrasion going on with trim. Maybe some Velcro strips might help to secure, but with heat they might get gooey and come off. Ill try one window and see.

Yep, Junction is very hot in July. Tap water out if the ground starts at 85 at that time of the year. We really love South Llano River State Park. I believe site 45 Is now our favorite for the 377, and is a double wide concrete pad with shade. Hopefully they keep the limbs trimmed. We've camped in our 377 at that park twice so far (Nov, Mar). My wife worked there for about 7 years when I met her back in 2000. She quit Jul 2001 to come to Austin to chase me, ha.

Are you camping at Davis Mtn SP? We park hosted there May 1-20, ahead of the Texas star party (TSP) and conducted day and nighttime astronomy programs for the guests. We absolutely loved it there. Their staff is so wonderful. We'll be returning to host in December, or possibly November is there's a cancellation.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #1228

Funny, we like site 45 too for the same reasons [emoji3]

Yes we will be staying at Davis mountains SP. We take kiddos to the observatory one evening for the star party, take a day trip to Balmorhea, and we sometimes go to Marfa. We love the park. Kids really enjoy the basket weaving class.

Only thing I don't love is towing a big trailer up the mountain. 3 different tow vehicles and all had something go wrong. Nothing major, mainly turbo boots blowing off or blowing up, or a bad oil cooler showing itself, but a pain in the rear for sure. Hopefully the current TV will make it up the mountain without incident.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #1229

Quote:
Funny, we like site 45 too for the same reasons [emoji3]

Yes we will be staying at Davis mountains SP. We take kiddos to the observatory one evening for the star party, take a day trip to Balmorhea, and we sometimes go to Marfa. We love the park. Kids really enjoy the basket weaving class.

Only thing I don't love is towing a big trailer up the mountain. 3 different tow vehicles and all had something go wrong. Nothing major, mainly turbo boots blowing off or blowing up, or a bad oil cooler showing itself, but a pain in the rear for sure. Hopefully the current TV will make it up the mountain without incident.

Yes, DMSP is a great place. I hope you're not referring towing your rig up to the observatory visitor center? Just past the visitor center, the road leading to the top, they now have a posted warning sign, no trailers past this point. I assume you're towing between Balmorhea and Ft Davis? Our rig weighs in at just over 16K and about 25K total, and our pickup is only factory rated to tow 13,400 lbs. But we have disc brakes and that certainly is a big plus. We came up old US90, through Seminole Canyon SP. Very scenic, but we faced 30+mph winds. Our most dreaded hill was towing back up out of Palo Duro Canyon SP. A half mile up 10% grade or 600' vertical! A true test of your truck's stress limit.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #1230

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Quote:
Yes, DMSP is a great place. I hope you're not referring towing your rig up to the observatory visitor center? Just past the visitor center, the road leading to the top, they now have a posted warning sign, no trailers past this point. I assume you're towing between Balmorhea and Ft Davis? Our rig weighs in at just over 16K and about 25K total, and our pickup is only factory rated to tow 13,400 lbs. But we have disc brakes and that certainly is a big plus. We came up old US90, through Seminole Canyon SP. Very scenic, but we faced 30+mph winds. Our most dreaded hill was towing back up out of Palo Duro Canyon SP. A half mile up 10% grade or 600' vertical! A true test of your truck's stress limit.

No way we would tow to the observatory! [emoji15]
We just take the truck, same with going anywhere else. Davis mountains SP is our "home base" and we drive to wherever we want to visit without the camper for a day trip. Palo duro is on our list to visit.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #1231

Quote:
No way we would tow to the observatory! [emoji15]
We just take the truck, same with going anywhere else. Davis mountains SP is our "home base" and we drive to wherever we want to visit without the camper for a day trip. Palo duro is on our list to visit.

Whew! I was kinda worried for a tad. Ha. We towed back down 17 to Balmorhea on our way east, beautiful rock formations, even some hills, as is up and down. Been traveling that route each May, since 1996 to the big TSP. Hopefully you can come to this event in the future. With dark skies, it's awesome. However, at the Prude Ranch where it's held, there's only about 40 rv sites, so staying at DMSP is an option.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I got mine from Amazon. I'm out right now, but I'll find it later for you.

Quote:
Jack

This may be what Dan used

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AHU2U7O...=2FYFL5PX9P26A

I went out to storage today to install the 2nd dimmer on the 2nd LED awning (off the slide for the dining). I installed it, but it no worky??? I checked and double checked the wiring, but It won't work with the dimmer installed in the line...works fine without??? Don't know what to do about that at this point. I even checked my connections on the 1st one that I installed, which works properly. Oh well, I guess I need to drink more beer before doing something like this.

ALSO, much to my chagrin, the DW remembered that I still had not replaced the ceiling fan or fixed the missing screw...so she wanted to come with me with my misc. screw collection...and of course she found the missing screw and was very proud of her self for saving us money and not needing to purchase a new ceiling fan for the 5er! There went my next purchase for a new ceiling fan, which I was going to buy tomorrow on my lunch break...oh well!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #1233

Outdoor Kitchen Mod

So I have been a long time follower of this thread. I figured it was time to contribute. I gutted the outdoor kitchen for something much more useful. I wish there was more room but I was able to maximize the space as best as I could. I replaced the original fridge for one without a freezer. Added an ice maker and last but certainly not least, a three tier bottle rack. I used poplar wood and some random wood stain that was around the house. I also made space for a cutting board and re purposed the glides from the original kitchen. It's worked out pretty well so far.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0317.jpg   IMG_0357.jpg   IMG_0406.jpg   IMG_0474.jpg  
c5limper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #1234

Quote:
I went out to storage today to install the 2nd dimmer on the 2nd LED awning (off the slide for the dining). I installed it, but it no worky??? I checked and double checked the wiring, but It won't work with the dimmer installed in the line...works fine without??? Don't know what to do about that at this point. I even checked my connections on the 1st one that I installed, which works properly. Oh well, I guess I need to drink more beer before doing something like this.

ALSO, much to my chagrin, the DW remembered that I still had not replaced the ceiling fan or fixed the missing screw...so she wanted to come with me with my misc. screw collection...and of course she found the missing screw and was very proud of her self for saving us money and not needing to purchase a new ceiling fan for the 5er! There went my next purchase for a new ceiling fan, which I was going to buy tomorrow on my lunch break...oh well!
Wow Dan I had forgotten all about you removing a screw from the original fan as an excuse to get a new fan.
Figured you had someone install the new fan already!!
That's GREAT that your wife found the screw that you had removed!!
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #1235

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5limper View Post
So I have been a long time follower of this thread. I figured it was time to contribute. I gutted the outdoor kitchen for something much more useful. I wish there was more room but I was able to maximize the space as best as I could. I replaced the original fridge for one without a freezer. Added an ice maker and last but certainly not least, a three tier bottle rack. I used poplar wood and some random wood stain that was around the house. I also made space for a cutting board and re purposed the glides from the original kitchen. It's worked out pretty well so far.

Nicely done. I bet you get lots of folks stopping by for drinks once they spot your ice maker. LOL [emoji3]
That reminds me, I need to restock my trailer

On edit,
I noticed your inside of the outside bar is black. Did you paint it? Also noticed we have the same electric smoker [emoji3]

Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Wow Dan I had forgotten all about you removing a screw from the original fan as an excuse to get a new fan.
LOL!! You almost made me spit my coffee when I read your post!
Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #1237

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post

ROTFL!! [emoji23]

Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #1238

Quote:
LOL!! You almost made me spit my coffee when I read your post!
I could not resist Dan..........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #1239

An outside bar. Simply genious. Your priorities, sir, are spot-on.

Happy 4th to all,

Jeff

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #1240

Just a reminder to make sure y'all are keeping the owners manuals with you in the RV. Arrived at FL and the fridge lock failed and the door was wide open and a few things were on the floor, but no mess. The fridge wouldn't cool after that. Reading the owners Manuel for the residential fridge says that it will go into "sabeth" mode if the door is left open. The owners Manuel tells you the super secret way to reset the fridge. Afterwards. All was good and it's cooling again. Just FYI.