Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #1201

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Dskyward

How's yours treating you? I'm breaking mine in and have about 2.5 hours on mine. I'll be changing the oil to synthetic after the 5 hour break in. I wish mine had the outlet covers like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Tom, Mine is treating me very good. I'm quite happy with it. Yes, I did the 5 hr break-in in two days, since I was at a nice RV campground in Carrabelle Beach FL, and didn't want to run 5 hrs straight. Then we camped at Winter Star Party in the FL Keys and all RV's had to boondock for 6 nights straight. It rained very hard one late morning into the afternoon and the Champion ran like a Champion. I was quite surprised that after a few days, I didn't think to try to see if it'd run the a/c on eco, and sure enough...it did! I guess I must have wasted several gallons of gas. Now that's another thing. Do NOT use ETHANOL gasoline in there if you can help it, according to the purists. Goto https://www.pure-gas.org/ to find pure gas in your area.

Gotta run to get something to eat! Enjoy your genset!
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #1202

Quote:
Dskyward

How's yours treating you? I'm breaking mine in and have about 2.5 hours on mine. I'll be changing the oil to synthetic after the 5 hour break in. I wish mine had the outlet covers like yours.

Hi Tom, Mine is treating me very good. I'm quite happy with it. Yes, I did the 5 hr break-in in two days, since I was at a nice RV campground in Carrabelle Beach FL, and didn't want to run 5 hrs straight. Then we camped at Winter Star Party in the FL Keys and all RV's had to boondock for 6 nights straight. It rained very hard one late morning into the afternoon and the Champion ran like a Champion. I was quite surprised that after a few days, I didn't think to try to see if it'd run the a/c on eco, and sure enough...it did! I guess I must have wasted several gallons of gas. Now that's another thing. Do NOT use ETHANOL gasoline in there if you can help it, according to the purists. Goto https://www.pure-gas.org/ to find pure gas in your area.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post

Good to hear the champion is doing well! I'll be running mine on propane unless an emergency arises and I need to use unleaded. Thanks!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:44 PM   #1204

Quote:
Picked up a truck box at tractor supply to put the generator in

Cut holes for front access as well as intake and exhaust. Made the front access panel hinged to help keep out any rain from getting onto outlets.

Then a bit of recycling. I saw a product at the dealer just like this but they wanted $50 for it. So I made my own. Used some of the foam packaging from the generator to make a protector on the king pin. A lot safer for kids (and grown ups) who aren't paying attention

Tom - How are you running the power cord over to the genny?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #1205

Mods to 377 RLBH?

Dan-

From the shore power connection, I have a 50 to 30 amp 90 degree adapter. Then I'll run a 30 amp cord around the back to the genny. I'll probably secure the cord to the bumper with some Velcro straps.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #1206

I found some unused space last weekend and it bugged me so I did something about it. Just had to move the electrical outlet and cut a hole in for the low point drains. Now my grill fits in there perfectly and I have my counter space back in the outside kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
20170628_193355.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #1207

That's an awesome find! Extra space is always nice. I might have to steal that one too.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
I found some unused space last weekend and it bugged me so I did something about it. Just had to move the electrical outlet and cut a hole in for the low point drains. Now my grill fits in there perfectly and I have my counter space back in the outside kitchen.
Nice find! My "to-do" list just keeps getting longer and longer.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #1209

Quote:

That's awesome! I'm stealing that too [emoji3]

Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #1210

Quote:
Yep, ordered it at the same time. Excited to have a pre cooled rig when we go to set up.
Do you run yours en route to your camp site?

Hey Tom, I don't run mine while traveling. I haven't really been tempted I suppose. Maybe I'll consider it now that it's so HOT out here in So Cal!

Here's mine. I thought that this was a good spot to mount the meter. Out of the way because, as you can see, it gets a bit beat up in the bed of the truck.
I went with stainless hardware and nylock nuts to keep it in place forever.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #1211

I also liked the covers over the outlets that the Costco unit had. They just didn't have the remote start option that I really like. I mentioned it previously but I went with Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #1212

Sorry to be such a page-hog folks! I've got to figure out how to post multiple pics in the same posting. Last one here -I promise!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
Old 06-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #1213

Quote:
Hi Kahoneys, what a great find. I knew about some space behind that wall, but never gave it consideration to build a pocket storage space. I have a small grill too and not quite sure it would fit, but I'm certainly interested to measure and find out. Thanks for sharing!

ps- I've heard there's another pocket area next to the bunkhouse desk that I've seen in the 2017.5 377 for 3 more drawers.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:32 AM   #1214

Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfamilyof3 View Post
Can you post a pic of your generator? We are looking for one and really would like to keep the cost low. Do you know what decibels it runs at? We found one at 68 db is that too loud? I'm not wanting to upset the neighbors[emoji51]

Just saw your post our Honda 2000 I think is 58 db. Depending on where we are it seems loud after a couple hours!68 db sounds more like a construction generator!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dskyward View Post
Hi Kahoneys, what a great find. I knew about some space behind that wall, but never gave it consideration to build a pocket storage space. I have a small grill too and not quite sure it would fit, but I'm certainly interested to measure and find out. Thanks for sharing!

ps- I've heard there's another pocket area next to the bunkhouse desk that I've seen in the 2017.5 377 for 3 more drawers.
My storage is 26" deep and 20" across with 11" in height. I measured 379 times before I cut, and shortened the height up a little after I got concerned about the low point drains. That was my one concern was to build the bottom thick enough so that the valves would be covered and not get broke off.

I too have seen that storage area in the bunk or more appropriately under the shower but I am really not sure how to investigate the area without ruining the wall?
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #1216

Quote:
My storage is 26" deep and 20" across with 11" in height. I measured 379 times before I cut, and shortened the height up a little after I got concerned about the low point drains. That was my one concern was to build the bottom thick enough so that the valves would be covered and not get broke off.

I too have seen that storage area in the bunk or more appropriately under the shower but I am really not sure how to investigate the area without ruining the wall?
Thanks for the measurements! Yes, of course, always measure 2x2x2x again...cut once. We all are appreciative of knowing where another (377 owner in particular) has gone before, giving us valuable info and confidence to make it better! I'm definitely gonna get to that mod when I get the tools and time somewhere along this full-time adventure. That will have to wait till I get back to my home state of Texas.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
I also liked the covers over the outlets that the Costco unit had. They just didn't have the remote start option that I really like. I mentioned it previously but I went with Amazon.
Hi Vasquez Kid, just saw online now the same merchant has 10 more of my Champion model 100158...and sale priced $539 refurbished and free shipping:
100158- 2800/3100w Champion Power Equipment Inverter Generator - REFURBISHED | eBay

I bought mine back in Feb for $599 w/free shipping. I'm sure they won't last long. Specs show it at 58dB at 23 ft on eco mode. I'm quite happy with it so far as it can run my 15K a/c, and 23 cu ft residential refer in front of it, and several LED lights on my 2017 377RLBH, and learned later it can sustain all these in eco mode! For everyone, just be sure your 15K a/c is equipped with a hard start capacitor. They can be installed aftermarket.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #1218

Quote:
Yes I have the same sticker on mine. I plan on having a fan in the box to help cool it down. Also plan to run a thermometer in there as well. Hopefully it'll run without any problems

On edit: the manual says 3 ft for airflow, 5 ft for combustibles. I feel the size of the holes I cut and the addition of the fan should be enough to keep it cool. I'll report my findings.

So I did a test on my gen set box today. Outside temp was 94. Inside temp of the box in the sun was 103 after 30 minutes. With genny and fan running for 30 minutes, temp inside the box (I put probe in center of the lid, inside the box) got to 112. I think that's not too bad.

Here's the inside of the box with the holes.

Added some louver vents to outside of box to keep out the rain.

I plan on getting an extension pipe for the muffler so that all the muffler exhaust is outside of the box which should really keep temps in check.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #1219

Quote:
So I did a test on my gen set box today. Outside temp was 94. Inside temp of the box in the sun was 103 after 30 minutes. With genny and fan running for 30 minutes, temp inside the box (I put probe in center of the lid, inside the box) got to 112. I think that's not too bad.

Here's the inside of the box with the holes.

Added some louver vents to outside of box to keep out the rain.

I plan on getting an extension pipe for the muffler so that all the muffler exhaust is outside of the box which should really keep temps in check.

That's very cool, Tom. Is yours a battery start or do you have to pull the cord thru the small front door you made?
Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #1220

It's an electric start. The door is to access the front panel so I can plug in the propane line, outlets and start/battery buttons as well as extra venting. Yes, access to the pull cord in case I need it as well.