338 RETS Problems
synopsis of my dealings with the Dealer in Greenwood, IN and Jayco to date.
Purchased Unit new last year 5-9-15 - 2015 eagle 338RETS
Used the unit all last season 1300 miles 28 nights total
Dropped off the unit in Greenwood for warranty issues 1-30-16 at the time the dealer rep i spoke to told me there would be a week or 2 until they could inspect and begin to address the issues listed below.
1. Front exterior storage hatch locks don’t work – both sides are same problem – I tried WD-40 and the condition did not change
2. Back Side tall exterior storage door – upper latch does not close properly – just spins around it does not hit a “stop” like the others
3. Recliner towards the tongue end of the trailer won’t open - latch not engaging properly
4. Recliner towards the rear the stitching is coming out
5. Bedroom slide has a large gouge in the wood on the outside bottom of the slide – at the end of the slide operation the door sill is forced down and is in a bind – this same slide also does not track properly when opening and closing the bed needs to be guided to keep the slide trim from hitting and rubbing the bathroom wall
6. Back side slide(kitchen/sofa side) weather stripping on the top is coming out when we drive down the road – the piece was flush when we left and is hanging out a few feet after 3hrs of drive time – that slide might not be closing properly if that seal is not being held in during travel.
7. Front side slide and the tongue end of the slide the slide does not meet flush with the exterior of the unit
8. Bathroom heat vent does not work – it was smashed from the bottom during assembly needs to be replaced
9. Bathroom sink did not come with a strainer the unit in the bag was the wrong size
10. During hot weather the cooling fan located behind the fridge (accessible through the upper outside vent door) will run for 10 sec and stop for 10 sec then repeat the cycle for hours I power cycled the fridge several times and did not get any different result.
11. Battery runs down after the unit sits must have a short in the system causing the draw
12. When the camper is level and all slides are open the floor near the fridge and stove is not flat it has a sharp slope form the middle to the outer edge - that slide has a hard time opening and closing due to this slope.
13. During the walkthrough we made a list of minor things we wanted to get fixed our sales person told us they would have to order the parts and send them to us so they could be replaced. Our sales guy is no longer working there so I hope we can resolve these issues There were a couple scratches in the kitchen cabinets and the jack is missing the emergency crank plug on top. These deficiencies were noted on our delivery ticket the demo person made during our pre-purchase inspection.
14. They sold me the hitch setup when we bought the camper I noticed that the ball they gave me is only a 10,000 lb capacity that is smaller that the trailer gvw of 10,500 should that ball be a 11 or 12k capacity? (i didnt notice this discrepency until i unhooked at home as the unit was hooked up)
Granted there are a few nit picky items here but during the pre delivery inspection the sales guy told me they would address the scratches in the cabinets with replacement parts and send them to me for install.
A few months after delivery I send an email to our sales guy and no response so after a few days i call the store and the receptionist tell me that he is no longer employed there so I asked for a message get delivered to a sales manager or other rep that could help out with the resolution of the inspection items - no response from anyone.
At this time i waited to address these items along with the warranty items listed above.
January 30 2016 I pull the unit 3hrs south to the dealer, I spoke to the service department the Friday before and they said to bring it down they could get it into the process in a week or so time. I get to the shop and they had left for the day (saturday only open until noon) It would have been nice to have had someone there to walk through the issues and talk face to face but I didnt get a chance.
A few weeks go by and after playing phone tag with the service writer I finally get a message back that they should be looking into the issues in a few days and they would be contacting me when they have more info. I failed to keep a phone log as to how many times I called and got no response or kept getting the run around.
After leaving a message for the service manager on or around 3-30-16 i get an email with several pages of notes from Jayco to the dealer for suggested repairs. Turns out the bed slide required additional brackets to me welded in and installed to fix the tracking problem (this is a single operator, center mount slide) The sloping floor near the fridge appears that the outriggers on the frame need to be replaced (cut out and re-weld new ones) So the mfg sends these new parts and others to the dealer for install.
There are several calls back and forth between the service writer and myself they are not very good at keeping me in the loop as to whats actually going on i am not in the position I can make a all day trip to check up physically on the unit.
Today 4-14 I receive an email update from the dealer and the tech working on replacing the outriggers tells my writer that the braces will not work they aren't the right size and the frame is bent.
there is another year left on warranty but i am concerned that after the "fix" what problems will come up later that could be related ie shell stress cracks from bend frame etc.? I can only imagine the possibilities.
sorry for the long post but i'm looking for thoughts and opinions concerning this matter
2015 Eagle 338 RETS
06 2500hd Silverado 4x4 crew
6.6 Duramax (lbz),Crew cab
Equalizer brand wd/sway hitch 12k
1 outstanding wife :D