Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Cheeta....I completely understand how you are feeling, going from a high to low feeling. It never feels good to realize someone tried to "pull one over you". It's really disrectspectull not to mention criminal. I know it's hard but try not to let it ruin the whole idea of camping with your family. Glad you are sorting it out right off the bat. We all here in this forum are hoping for a quick satisfying resolution for you.

2012 X23J
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
10 years till retirement than maybe full timers...the countdown begins
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Site Team
Hey Cheeta, Don't let it ruin your camping fun. I found a couple of spider cracks on my front cap shortly after delivery. Don't know how it got out of the factory like that but my dealer took pictures, sent to Jayco. They authorized me to take to a local fiberglass shop where they repaired it and matched the gel coat. Got it back in a few days and never looked back.

Now be assured that it can and likely will be repaired under warranty. If someone at the dealership tried to conceal it, I would be ticked and disappointed in them.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Wow, another 23K issue - myself and Bluebrick had the same issue on this model - in my case I took it to an independent dealer, who fought on my behalf to get the roof replaced. Bluebrick's water problems were worse than mine, he ended up with the whole front wall being replaced/rebuilt. Do check you your transition piece on the roof and make sure that the aluminum strip hasn't lifted. It appears they were never installed properly at the factory. If you happen to get a new front wall, try and convince them to do a better job up on the roof. Now...don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the trailer and in the end Jayco did right by us.
3 kids and Buddy the Dog;)
Victoria, BC

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
From what you posted, I agree that this is an intentional cover-up. If you did not have the dealer's picture showing the original location, I may have thought otherwise. In fairness to the dealer, it could have been an employee who goofed and did not want trouble with his/her boss. Good luck getting dealer to help...
2015 Seismic 4212 on order
2010.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MC CTD HD Dually (4.10 gears), Firestone Air-Bags, with a Superglide model 4400.
2012 Yamaha Zuma 125
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Site Team
Originally Posted by cheetahflip View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by "spider web cracks" Crabman but they are cracked open enough to stick your fingernail in and raised not just smooth to the touch like the enamel cracking on porcelain/ceramic tubs or cups. If it wasn't the dealership itself it was an employee for whatever reason. And like I mentioned there is 1 more crack below that's covered by the battery sticker. Quite coincidental that the stickers moved from one place as pictured to conveniently and perfectly cover both areas that are cracking and evident fade marks of where they once were. The cracks were right under the black WARNING header bar of the decal so the deepest one couldn't be seen. It is quite the shell game and I got taken.
Spider cracks are cracks in the gel coat which can be relatively easily repaired by someone who knows fiberglass repair as norty said. I`ve seen good fiberglass guys do wonders with boats that had severe gel coat issues. Look just like new when they are done. A larger concern and more difficult repair would be delamination, where water enters the inside of the wall and separates the glue, wood, and glass creating raised spots and bubbles in the wall. Your trailer is new and under warranty so I suspect it will be made right for you. Considering the distance between you and the dealer and these deceitful sticker placements, perhaps they (Jayco) can recommend a repair shop closer by so you can get this resolved quickly. And you should be able to use the trailer right up until it goes in for the repair so maybe you will not miss much if any camping time.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
I would put the stickers back over the cracks until its repaired to protect from water in case it rains or something. I think it was wise not to communicate with the dealership, would have given them time to come up with a good story when Jayco contacted them. Good luck
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 Tekonsha Primus brake controller
2011 JayFeather Select 29L
Husky Centerline WDH
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Originally Posted by JAMMFAM View Post
I would put the stickers back over the cracks until its repaired to protect from water in case it rains or something. I think it was wise not to communicate with the dealership, would have given them time to come up with a good story when Jayco contacted them. Good luck
agreed but i would use a thin layer of clear silicone.
*Currently trailer-less but shopping
07' GMC Envoy w/ P2 controller (current TV)
88' Chevy K5 Blazer (soon-to-be TV)
74' VW Superbeetle (1303)

exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
I agree that the cracks are not structural but in the gel coat layer of the unit. You should not have any water intrusion but covering them sould not hurt. That does not however, relieve the person or dealer that tried to cover them up based on your pictures. Either way cover up or not Jayco should attend to the issue under warranty.
Find a new dealer while your at it too.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Don't know where you are in Indiana, But JAYCO is in Middlebury they may have a recommendation closer to you than the original dealer you bought from.
2010 24FBS
2005 F150 extended cab
hotrod51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
agreed but i would use a thin layer of clear silicone.
I would not recommend putting silicone over the damage. That stuff will be a bear to remove before doing repairs and it has to be completely removed because nothing will stick to it, inclucing more silicone. I would use duct tape before I would use silicone.

I'm wondering if the damage was caused by installing the stickers instead of the stickers being placed to cover the damage. Years ago, when I was working for an electric utility, we were having trouble putting stickers on the incoming transformers because it was too cold for the adhesive to flow properly. We had to actually pound on them with our fists to get the stupid things to stick. The shells of those cans were a lot sturdier than the Filon on an RV.

Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote