Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #41

Yea, definitely leaning towards the lightest weight one, 267BHSW. Though we love the floorplan better on the 287BHSW, I found a 267BHSW (new) in Spokane, just a few hours away for $4000 less than the local dealer at $16,995. A 287BHSW in Pasco for $19,490 - near $5000 less than a local dealer. Ughhh, decisions.
spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #42

I don't know if it would work for you but it did me. The dealer had a "sale" on the 287bhsw for $18,499 an for kicks I looked online for comparisons and found one 2017 new for $17,900. I showed it to the head salesman and said if you match this we may have a deal. He matched it and now I own it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I don't know if it would work for you but it did me. The dealer had a "sale" on the 287bhsw for $18,499 an for kicks I looked online for comparisons and found one 2017 new for $17,900. I showed it to the head salesman and said if you match this we may have a deal. He matched it and now I own it.
The worst they could say is "No"...worth a try! And there are 2 large dealers in my area I could attempt this with.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #44

I am in Ga and that unit I found was in Mo. He saw that and I just told him I know people in MO and it wouldn't be a problem getting it to Ga. for that price. Just thought I'd throw that in there as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #45

You can try this. For the cheaper quote that you got ask for a written out the door price. Then take that to the local dealers asking for the same out the door price and compare or negotiate from that. If you don't compare apples to apples you may not get what you expect.

The reason I state this is no two dealers are the same (unless they are a chain). So one may advertise a lower price but then they have fees and charges for things that the more expensive one already had built into the price.

For instance propane tanks, battery, some places charge shop time for the PDI, setup fees, delivery fees, storage fees, I like money fees, so on and so forth.

Also you may find the local dealer will build sales tax into the quote where that may not happen if bought out of state. Then you are on the hook for sales tax once you register it in your state. Of course this differs from state to state but in MN that is how it works. I expected this and happened to buy in state so that $2K or so was rolled into our numbers. Then we factored in the trade in and down payment. Of course had we needed to pay for taxes/tabs outside the single transaction then we would have held about $2K from what we put down on it. This part was no different from buying a car or truck though.

So contact all of them, get a bottom line what will it cost me to drive it off the lot quote that you can really compare from dealer to dealer. Then take that and see who has the best price. Also plan for a little wiggle room for options between the models. For instance our 25BH has about $3K (MSRP) in options over a base model. Not sure what factory options are on the one you are looking at but that can cause some differences in price.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #46

We had a 2016 27bhs and now the Eagle version of the jay flight 28bhbe. The additional weight wasn't noticeable at all for towing. Either way you are pulling the same size trailer through the wind and stopping is similar. As for prices, I believe jay flight 28bhbe was $18k and the 27bhs was $17, Eagle was a larger step up. All similar prices from a few competitive dealers in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamcan View Post
Howdy all! First post, and looking to get into TT travel.

So the wife and I, along with our 3yr old son and 6mo old daughter, figure flight type vacations are years out. And tent camping with kids our ages is (for us) a thing of the past for now. So we would like to get into TT vacationing. We've rented up to 19' models with limited success (too small, too old/run down). We've hunted various makes and models and have come to the decision between 2 Jayco's: Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW and Jay Flight 28BHBE

Taking away the obvious things like size, interior colors, decor and overall floor layout, I'm wondering if there's anything really worth spending @ $7k more for the 28BHBE. To my unknowledged eyes, it seems the only convenience thing I'd like to add to the 267BHSW is the blackwater wash and large door entry handle. I'm guessing those could be added.

The other concern is the weight. We have a 2009 Toyota Tundra which on paper could tow either. I would think the 267BHSW would be easier to tow at 2000lbs less.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, including what accessories I should get as well - reading the Arrival & Departure Checklist on the RVForum site gave me some ides.

Thanks in advance!
I tow a 27BHS. I started with a Tundra Double Cab long bed
It pulled it fine but I noticed the braking was slow.
Had a teenager pull out in front of me & totaled both vehicles
I now have a 3/4 ton truck. My mechanics heavily advised me to get 3/4 for braking, sway control (not tippiover on sharp turns) & saving wear & tear on engine in the long run. My F-250 does do a much better job braking and I feel safer.
When I bought mine I was going back & forth between Jayflight SLX & normal Jayflight. I ended up without the slx bec I asked for a print out on comparisons of the difference. The Jayflight (not slx) has better flooring & roof materials which was a breaker for me. Also the electric tongue, awning, outdoor shower (for dog & kayak gear) outdoor cooking, led lights for me Are worth the extra
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #48

We're hoping to do some camping along shorelines where we could scuba dive, so the outdoor shower would be a bonus for rinse-off.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
As for the SLX vs Jay Flight models, things may be a little different from when we purchased our '16, so double check, but a few differences are (were?):

Flight may weigh a little more than the SLX, but it also has axles that are a little higher rated, and possibly a little higher CCC.

Nicer cabinet doors, larger fridge, electric option on hot water tank (can run both gas and electric together for faster recovery), pull out kitchen sink faucet, shower surround (possibly, can't recall for sure), possibly the more stout scissor stabilizer jacks vs the c style models, larger fresh water tank, larger gray and black tanks(???), larger propane tanks (does equal a little higher tw), electric awning and blinding led awning lights, etc. As I mentioned, double check as the differences could have changed, just some things that I can think of that may be different.

For us, having a higher CCC was something I looked for. Really comes down to what all will you pack in the tt.

Concerning the tw of the 28 BHBE, members who own this rig have posted having a loaded tw of anywhere from about 900lbs up to 1200lbs or so. Then if thing is will you be traveling with fresh water tanks (has 2-40g tanks I beleive) and how much will you pack in the front pass through storage? Almost all that weight goes on the hitch. If you travel with maybe 10-15g of water and keep the weight in the front pass through on the lighter side, the 28 may be possible. But as we have mentioned, double check your truck mounted receiver hitch for a max tw rating as well!!!
I'm still fairly new to RVing so can you please tell me what CCC stands for?
Also, I was told that I should never travel with water tanks full because the tanks are only secured by 2 straps and that much weight can easily tear them off.
Of course if you are "boon docking" that would be a different story.
I prefer to go and enjoy the electric & water full hookups if possible. Sewer isn't a necessity but my tanks are limited in size and doing a 3 night stay maxes them out and I don't like having to re-hook & go to dump station then back to camping pad to un-hook & re-balance, etc with trailer. Bottom line is the dual tanks are worth it!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I'm still fairly new to RVing so can you please tell me what CCC stands for?
Also, I was told that I should never travel with water tanks full because the tanks are only secured by 2 straps and that much weight can easily tear them off.
Of course if you are "boon docking" that would be a different story.
I prefer to go and enjoy the electric & water full hookups if possible. Sewer isn't a necessity but my tanks are limited in size and doing a 3 night stay maxes them out and I don't like having to re-hook & go to dump station then back to camping pad to un-hook & re-balance, etc with trailer. Bottom line is the dual tanks are worth it!
CCC - cargo carrying capacity

We virtually ALWAYS have our fresh water tanks full (90gal) because we're never sure what water might be available. As someone recently posted here... 'What's the value of having all that water capacity if you can't have them filled while traveling?'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
CCC - cargo carrying capacity

We virtually ALWAYS have our fresh water tanks full (90gal) because we're never sure what water might be available. As someone recently posted here... 'What's the value of having all that water capacity if you can't have them filled while traveling?'
Thanks for the info, do you mind explaining one more?
What does IMHO stand for?
Thanks for your time
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #52
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks for the info, do you mind explaining one more?
What does IMHO stand for?
Thanks for your time
In My Humble Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamcan View Post
We're hoping to do some camping along shorelines where we could scuba dive, so the outdoor shower would be a bonus for rinse-off.
Outdoor showers are essential with kids and dogs. We have used our outdoor shower far more than our indoor shower. We travel with empty tanks but often camp in state parks with unserviced sites. 84 gallons allows for multiple outdoor hot showers which would fill grey tanks quickly. Outdoor shower is also handy for running a small tub of soapy warm water for washing little hands during the day and rinsing sandy dirty feet at the end of the day.

Some people pack thousands of pounds in their trailer and hundreds of pounds in their tow vehicle and need more capacity than others. We tow an Eagle 28BHBE with our 2010 Maxtow F150 Screw and have no concerns with stability. Would love the extra power a diesel, but not willing to pay the premium.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #53

[QUOTE=The Jayflight (not slx) has better flooring & roof materials which was a breaker for me. [/QUOTE]

Caan you be more specific about the differences in these components? According to the Jayco website both the Jayflight and Jayflight SLX use the same flooring and same magnum truss roof system.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #54

Safety First

Hi and welcome to the forum! My wife and I were in the EXACT same boat (or camper) as you SpamCan. This will be our first TT after having a PuP for several years. Though both the 267BHSW and 28BHBE were in our budget and I really like the idea of the larger shower with glass door, U-shaped dinette (though the table is actually smaller with the U), and a few other amenities, we finally opted for the 267BHSW. Supposed to go pick it up in a week or so.

One of the main reasons is I have a 2011 Ford Expedition EL 5.6L with the heavy duty towing package and yes, on paper a lot of vehicles look like they can tow a lot more than folks should attempt in my opinion. My Expy is rated at 8700 pounds which at first glance looks like it would no problem to tow the 267BHSW or 28BHBE. But remember, those ratings assume 1 driver at 150 lbs and NO other passengers or cargo.

I highly recommend the tow trailer weight calculator on changingearsDOTcom to aid in making your decision. It seems to be the most thorough and lets you add a safety margin. The first thing I would do is load up your TV with just yourselves, pets, full gas tank, and bare essentials and head to the closest CAT scale. Get your overall GVW and also the front and rear axle weights. Once you have these actual numbers you can use your TV manufacturer ratings and plug everything into the calculator.

When towing you will want to save most of your cargo for the TT because as you will see if you do the calculator a pound is not a pound when it comes to calculating how much you can tow. Loading down your truck with stuff GREATLY reduces your tow capacity. Tongue weight is crucial in all of the this and a lot of stuff in the bed of your truck can effectively increase your tongue weight to a point where even the dry tongue weight of the TT can overload you.

For my vehicle after I plugged in the numbers it became apparent that the 28BHBE would only leave me a couple hundred pounds for cargo if that. Most folks carry around 1000 realistically. This would put me over where I wanted to be load wise. The 267BHSW allowed me to carry all the cargo I need while allowing a good safety margin. While I do believe that a good WD hitch can help out tremendously I still like to stay within the ratings.

Don't get me wrong, your Tundra may be fine, but I wanted to give you my perspective and two cents worth coming at you from a safety perspective since I have been there and spent hours weighing all my options.

Let me know what you decide and happy camping!
turtle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #55

Awesome info info and feedback Turtle032. I'm pretty certain it's going to be the 267BHSW, but will do all the calculations and such just to see if the slightly heavier 287BHSW may be worthy (for the floorplan we like). The 28BHBE we're no longer considering (too heavy and don't need most of the frills) and the 287BHSW has the same floorplan.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans Keeper View Post
Caan you be more specific about the differences in these components? According to the Jayco website both the Jayflight and Jayflight SLX use the same flooring and same magnum truss roof system.
My sales rep told me the same thing when I saw him at the RV show a couple months ago - but when I went to look at the comparison spec sheets before buying my 2016 27BHS, the SLX showed the roof & truss with OSB and the other in plywood.
He may have used an older model? but he was able to print out a sheet that had 2 columns - one for SLX and one for regular Jayflight. There was a lot of small differences which is why the difference in price!!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #57

Quote:
My sales rep told me the same thing when I saw him at the RV show a couple months ago - but when I went to look at the comparison spec sheets before buying my 2016 27BHS, the SLX showed the roof & truss with OSB and the other in plywood.
He may have used an older model? but he was able to print out a sheet that had 2 columns - one for SLX and one for regular Jayflight. There was a lot of small differences which is why the difference in price!!
Some other things that come to mind were: 6 cu' vs 8 cu' fridge.
above the bed has doors and not just the shelf
power tongue jack & awning vs manual
LED lights outside front door
outside shower & cook drawer with small cooler & sink
I'm I'm just going by memory here but can look next week for all the differences if you want me to???
Maybe "solar ready"??
Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #58

We debated between many and chose the eagle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #59

Quote:
I stand corrected, I finally found the information on the jayco.com website. Have to go to "brochures" and pages 11-13 gives the stats file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/JAY%205116-01%20Jay%20Flight%20Reprint_01.06.16%20v2%20(1).pd f

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
Old 04-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #60

We got 2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 5.7 and tow 28BHBE with 2 adults and 4 kids age 2 to 10 with trailer axle weight of 6,520 and front axle of 3,480 and rear axle of 4,160 lbs. That was before I readjust WDH to evenly distribute weight to front and rear axles. We didn't have problem at all towing. When we first pick up trailer I had accidentally trip the breakaway brakes on trailer and the Sequoia didn't feel the difference and I didn't even know until I was flagged down by another car. Trailer brakes were smoking.
We are over the GVWR on the Sequoia but not over the Gross Combine Weigh Rating. We definitely like the 28BHBE over the SLX.
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote