Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintsters View Post
We have a new to us 2012 Jay Feather 29L Select. When we purchased it the guy always had it covered and included the cover in the purchase. Living in New England, I am wondering what your thoughts are about whether it's fine to keep it at our house with the cover on it for the winter or if I need to find a place with a roof to store it. There is a place a few miles down the road that I can keep it for $450 for the winter in an enclosed area with security systems. I am mostly concerned about snow load on the roof. Thoughts?

Snow load isn't a real issue, since it melts down so quickly... So try and find a fully exposed lot. I hated covering mine the first winter. I couldn't extend the slides, and where to store the cover in summer? The second winter I sold it on Craigslist.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #12

oh wow what part of NH are you in? We often have five feet in the lee of Mt Washington. And have a couple of roof rakes.
It never melts. You can see Miss November squashed under the other Missuses December-April. It does compact and get heavy which is why you see house roof collapses with rains in April

Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #13
bap

We cover ours each winter with a heavy duty grey tarp that cost about $40 at the local discount store. We tie it down well and 2 winters ago when we had 5+ feet of snow on the ground, we raked it off a couple of times with a rubber edged roof rake. With the tarp on it, it was easy to rake it off without damaging anything.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Winter storage ??? no need for that here not on the Texas coast

herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

I think it all depends upon how long you plan to keep your trailer.
Remember, dealers don't cover them because they plan to get rid of them within the year. If you plan on keeping your trailer for several years, then storing inside can be worth the money.

We store ours over winter at the county fairgrounds in an enclosed building with concrete floors. We pay about $350 and feel this is a good expenditure to keep the trailer out of the weather (any weather) for a good period of the year. No wind, no snow, no rain, no sun. During the use season, when not camping we just park it in our driveway, but if I had a large enough pole building at home, I'd store it in there when not camping.

It only makes sense that the more protection from the elements that you can provide to your trailer, the better and longer it will last.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
oh wow what part of NH are you in? We often have five feet in the lee of Mt Washington. And have a couple of roof rakes.
It never melts. You can see Miss November squashed under the other Missuses December-April. It does compact and get heavy which is why you see house roof collapses with rains in April

Southern NH. But the trailer is parked where it gets good southern exposure.

It all depends on the wind pattern and how much sun gets to it.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #17

Where we are able to park it at our house it would be on the north side of the, so not much direct sunlight. The wind is pretty relentless...so much so that when we go outside with our kids it usually isn't for very long. I would expect a quite a bit of snow drifting from both a north and a south wind. I don't know that I have a timeline for how long we'd plan to keep the camper, but we aren't looking to unload it anytime soon since we just got it and absolutely love it.

This is what I'm inferring based on the variety of responses.

- while it is ideal to store it in an enclosed area, most people do not and have not experienced significant issues.

- there is a mixed bag of people who use a cover, but if using a cover make sure that things like the downspout is covered with tennis balls to help prevent tearing and wear.

- if there is accumulating snow use something soft, like a brush or rubber, to push the snow off so that the roof isn't damaged.

I am still not sure what I'm going to do, but it helps to know that if I keep it outside at my house that it doesn't guarantee catastrophic consequences.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #18

Lightbulb Winter storage of camper

We have always stored our campers or RV's inside during our winters here. While we don't get the snow or ice the RVers do on the east coast we get enough here that I don't want to expose my RV to it. This winter I found inside storage with a lady who has a unused horse barn. She charges $270 for the winter which we feel is a bargain compared to leaving the coach out in the elements. You can never convince me that snow and ice are doing a coach and its roof any good whether you cover it or not. Inside storage to me is the only way to go to protect your investment for the winter...
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #19

Keeping it covered is the way to go. It will keep all the caulking from being exposed to the sun. Jayco's roofs are amoungst the strongest roofs in the industry. Washing it thoroughly and tying the cover down securely is what I have been doing for the past 20 years owning a Trailer.