Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Answers and a couple more pics

Murphie - It was a grizzly. In the post above I mentioned my blog of the vacation. When the trip started I had all 3 kids blog their perspectives each day. After the trip, as I was typing up my son's, he had written that grizzlies had a hump and their head is higher than their behind and that was not the case with black bears. Wish he had told me that during the trip. We saw this youngster on our way out of the park, just north of Old Faithful. The day before we saw a mother grizzly and her two cubs. The cubs were pretty far away but a kind man let us look through his scope. The cubs didn't seem to be much smaller than the one pictured. As we watched him, I was on the lookout for a Momma grizzly as well. We did see a black bear as well. I'll try to post the pic.

Healthi - Your information was dead on. They post on signs that people have died on the trail. It's easy to see how. In fact, on top there was a young man messing around when he stumbled. If not for the quick hands of a friend we'd have seen someone die. There are sheer drops on either side of you near the top but I'd guess it never got narrower than 6 feet. They have placed chains on the trail to help with navigation. They took the fear out of it for me but I still watched the kids closely. If I recall correctly its about a 1400 foot elevation change. The trail was work. It was upper 70's lower 80's when we tackled it so the conditions were pretty good compared to the scorcher it would be today. We were careful and it was rewarding. I really loved Zion.

Pic 1 - We did another demanding trail, this is the view from Bunson Peak, Yellowstone
Pic 2 - A black bear at Yellowstone
Pic 3 - The Grand Canyon
Pic 4 - A picture of the chains near the top of Angel's Landing, Zion
Pic 5 - A view of the drop from the Angel's Landing trail, Zion
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1987.jpg   dscn2743.jpg   Tad's Pictures 951.jpg  
Attached Images

Trout34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

This is my favorite of your pictures thus far:

Awesome shot!

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
One of mine as well

Bob, this is one of my favorites as well. We loved Zion. It seemed like there were photo opps like this at every turn. We did not have time to hit Bryce or Arches but heard fellow campers raving about them. Zion, the drive in and the drive out, gave us a taste that leaves us wanting to get back to Utah.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #14

I want to do the Mount Rushmore trip, maybe next year!!! We will be taking the sister to your 17C, our 17Z!! Thanks for sharing
Tim (me) Dellena (DW)
3 Kids 23, 20, 18.
Molly Camp Guard Dog
2010 17Z
2010 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab HD Z71 Tow & Trailering PKG 6 Speed tranny.
shepwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
I think you'll like it

Shep, we loved that area of South Dakota. We could not have asked for better weather so I think we saw it at its best. It was early June, it had been cool in the weeks preceding our arrival then blossomed to three days in the lower 70's while we were there. No bugs, light breeze, I doubt San Diego weather could beat it.

We stayed at Custer State Park, the Sylvan Lake campground. Electricity and showers, no water or sewer hookup. The campground was close to Mt. Rushmore so that was nice. Takes a long time to get anywhere but you'll definitely want to hit the Wildlife Loop and the 2 scenic drives in the park.

You may have done so already, but we found a couple of videos on the construction of Mt. Rushmore and that background added to the enjoyment and appreciation of the place.

There was a 17Z at the campground with us at Yellowstone. Nice guy owned it and he loved his like we love our C. I've currently got a slow connection but I'll see if I can't dig up some pics.