Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 12:06 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I have 2 Ruger 45 colts and 2 S&W Performance Center 45 Schofields. My wife has 2 .357 Ruger Blackhawks. They are fun to shoot. My wife made our holsters. She made a special, carved set for my Schofields. Attachment 67331Attachment 67330
Mr. Cliff , I have been married to Shorty for 43 years and I have yet to figure out how to get a schofield 45 let alone get her to make a beautiful set of holsters! If you want a new hobby i would suggest you write a book on how you did it,you would become rich and famous! Mrs. Cliff the 357 will snap ya but damn there fun!!!!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:06 AM   #62

Have you ever thought about origami? It can be done inside and doesn’t take up any room and not expensive?
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:00 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Your wife does some beautiful work! Your Holsters are absolutely awesome.
That was her first attempt at actually carving. They did come out really nice.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
Mr. Cliff , I have been married to Shorty for 43 years and I have yet to figure out how to get a schofield 45 let alone get her to make a beautiful set of holsters! If you want a new hobby i would suggest you write a book on how you did it,you would become rich and famous! Mrs. Cliff the 357 will snap ya but damn there fun!!!!
Actually it's a long story but at one time I had 4 of them. 2 of them were new and unfired and the other two I got from my friend that used them in SASS. I sold the new ones and I'll keep these. My wife is the artistic one in our home. She inherited a bunch of tools from her dad and pulls them out now and again does a few projects. When we got into shooting she made us each a set of holsters for normal shooting and when I got the Schofields she made these special ones for me.

As for her pistols, I don't think she has shot them with .357 yet. She shot .38 in competition and did pretty well with it. When she found out she was diabetic she had to give up shooting. It was just too hard on her.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Then join SASS. I've been to numerous events as a spectator and a participant. You're half way there with those beautiful holsters. I wish I was that good.
We are SASS Life Members but don't shoot anymore due to medical concerns.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I was going to suggest shooting sports as well but didn’t know how that would go over here. I imagine if you’ve been in the sport for a while you’ve probably got a decent supply of ammo. But, yes it’s hard to find now and way over priced.

I mostly have more modern or tactical “equipment” but I do have a few vintage pieces that my late FIL passed on to me. I really enjoy taking them apart, cleaning, polishing, and modifying all of them.. I probably spend more time after the range with cleaning and fiddling than I do at the range practicing.
I've done lots of shooting since my dad bought my first shotgun when I was about 12yo. It's getting hard to find a place to shoot anymore that doesn't charge a fortune. I am the opposite of you. I have mostly older type equipment except for a couple semi-auto pistols. I tried blackpowder pistol once but after a couple trips to the range I decided it was much more fun to shoot than it was to clean so I sold it. Give it a try if you like to clean guns. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeers View Post
Have you ever thought about origami? It can be done inside and doesn’t take up any room and not expensive?
Actually I haven't. That's does sound more like something for my wife though and she already has to many hobbies. We tried macrame years ago but we both got tired of that pretty quick.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #68

Quote:
Actually I haven't. That's does sound more like something for my wife though and she already has to many hobbies. We tried macrame years ago but we both got tired of that pretty quick.
Your wife does absolutely beautiful leatherwork. That could turn into a hobby that will supplement your income stream.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
Your wife does absolutely beautiful leatherwork. That could turn into a hobby that will supplement your income stream.
Yes she does. She is very artistic but she has too many hobbies to stick with one long enough to make money with it. If I was any good at it I would do it in a minute but I've tried and that's a big NOPE! I'm just not artistic. I've tried several artistic hobbies but I've not been very good at it. If I can't get at least acceptable at it I get bored and move on.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #70

Join a bookclub. There are many virtual ones out there now and libraries are also running them. If you're looking for something to do with your hands: knitting, sewing (I take along a travel machine) - these are gender neutral (the first knitters were fishermen making nets). Jigsaw puzzles. Someone has already mentioned painting. Then find an interest group that you can join to share ideas
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #71

So much to do with little time

Try reconditioning or restoring a motorcycle, scooter 🛵 or small boat. Sometimes you can even make a buck!
Moconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #72

have you tried crochet or knitting? takes little space and supplies. Lots of men do do it!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:46 PM   #73

Quote:
I have a couple Canon Rebels that I've had for years. I learned about them years ago. I just have never found a use for the pics so I got tired of it. I take them out occasionally and charge the batteries but seldom actually use them. I never cared much for indoor photography.

My wife is the leather crafter. She made several sets of holsters for us. Here is a pick of one set she carved for me.Attachment 67337Attachment 67338
Just curious Bayoutalker, Does your wife also make custom holsters for sale? If so feel free to message me, as those look great. ~CA
Old 01-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #74

Models

I build scale models. Planes, tanks, ships. This keeps my fine motor skills happy and is therapeutic.
I also fly my drone, take photos, read books, watch movies, hike, explore my area, work on the trailer or truck, tinker with electronics and whatever else comes to mind.
Lord-Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #75

My favorites revolve around bush craft - or making crafts from things I find while camping. Painted rocks is an easy one with a small painting kit. Pine needle baskets are fun, and you have a souvenir from places you visited. Another is dream catchers made from twigs, vines, flowers. I also carry a plant press. Pressed wildflowers can be glued into nice pictures. There are books about this, and lots of ideas on Pinterest.
marciaandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #76

Flight simming
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #77

Having been pretty much holed up waiting out Covid since last March I too was looking for something to do when it got cold and the snow started falling. I have long considered getting a rear camera for the RV. One day while surfing around on YouTube I saw postings about projects one can do with a cheap single board computer called Raspberry Pi. I got hooked! I had to do some learning but most projects are pretty well documented on YouTube. So far I have built a doorbell camera and two security cameras for the house. I am now working on the RV rear view camera, a camera to help be line up with the 5th wheel hitch and a dash camera. I will probably also build a couple security camera for use with the RV.

Maybe it would be something you would be interested in. Not much needed for tools and building is cheaper than purchasing these items.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just curious Bayoutalker, Does your wife also make custom holsters for sale? If so feel free to message me, as those look great. ~CA
Sorry but no. It's hard for me to get her to work on projects for me. [emoji23]

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciaandre View Post
My favorites revolve around bush craft - or making crafts from things I find while camping. Painted rocks is an easy one with a small painting kit. Pine needle baskets are fun, and you have a souvenir from places you visited. Another is dream catchers made from twigs, vines, flowers. I also carry a plant press. Pressed wildflowers can be glued into nice pictures. There are books about this, and lots of ideas on Pinterest.
Those are more like hobbies that my wife would be interested in.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 01-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackey View Post
Flight simming
I did that for several years. I haven't found a good sim in years now. They disappeared when tablets came out and computers were put away. I had some very realistic ones. What sims are you flying and on what device?

Jayflight 34RSBS