Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #221
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckohlhaas View Post
Midnight, That's what I'm hoping for. Quite frankly I like Disney more than my kids. But it's a place where we spend ALL of our time together and that makes it worth it to me. We only do Magic Kingdom for a day, they enjoy rides at the other parks more and wife and I enjoy the booze more. I'm hoping The Fort will give them something new and exciting. My daughter is a homebody, so I think having her own space will help a lot.

I've heard different opinions and this is a much larger topic, but is a golf cart a good idea? I know third party rental is the way to go if you're going to rent, but I'm considering buying one since my community allows them too.

We rented a cart last year and did again for this year's trip. It isn't necessary per say. But makes things very convenient.

I just rented from Disney. Much more expensive than the 3rd party places but no hassle. In the scheme of what disney costs, the price difference isn't that big of a deal.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #222

Quote:
I'm considering buying one since my community allows them too.
I think that is the way to go. We own ours used it at the FORT and other CG's as well. Looping around the FORT is all part of the fun. Also it eliminates waiting on the internal buses.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I think that is the way to go. We own ours used it at the FORT and other CG's as well. Looping around the FORT is all part of the fun. Also it eliminates waiting on the internal buses.
That leads to the next obvious question;-) any recommendations?' I have a 2018 36T. 2 adults 3 kids and reluctant mini golden-doodle. I am considering a used bad boy buggy. But probably overkill since all I hunt for is my keys every morning.
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I haven't been to Disneyland since 1979. My wife and kids have never been there. I've been wanting to take a trip out at some point, but we never seem to have time.
If you WANT to go, I cannot emphasize enough to CALL on the day that is 499 days prior to when you want to be there. Reservations online for 2020 won't open up until sometime in June '19, so calling is the only way to guarantee the dates you want.

Also, you can get an idea of the rates by looking online now for say Memorial Day this year and check out there "rate calendar" for the months ahead until the end of the year. Not uncommon to see Premium Campsites on peak days costing $185/night. But I've also seen some nights, off peak or short notice dates, run $99. May seem pricey, but for what is available while you are there (free transportation, pool, biking trails, etc), it does come in as "worth the money" to us.

Others above complain about long waits at the bus stops. That has not been an issue in our experience except during high volume times (end of the day after the fireworks displays).

Lastly, in planning your Disney trip remember you're going to Disney World and happen to be camping. You are NOT going camping with a side trip to DW. With the former attitude you'll then appreciate the costs involved.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
I was happy to find out that some of my airline miles converted to gift cards which are paying for my stay.
I converted some of my Camping World Visa points to Disney Gift cards for our last trip in February. Made a huge dent in our dining costs.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #226

Quote:
I just call Disney reservation line and make the reservations over the phone.
X2. Despite the long wait on the phone to talk with an actual person, it is the surest way to get the campground dates you want. They can "see" availability more accurately than I can using their online system.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I sure miss sitting down at the dock with a nice cup of coffee and watching the fireworks every night
X2

Old 04-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog3loves View Post
If you WANT to go, I cannot emphasize enough to CALL on the day that is 499 days prior to when you want to be there.
Unless it has recently changed it is 499 from the day of CHECK OUT not arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog3loves View Post
X2. Despite the long wait on the phone to talk with an actual person, it is the surest way to get the campground dates you want. They can "see" availability more accurately than I can using their online system.
The really best way is get a good Travel Agent that specializes in DISNEY. Doesn't cost you anything extra they get paid by the MOUSE.

Haven't made my own ressies in over 10 yrs, Resort, camping or cruising
Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #229

Quote:
That leads to the next obvious question;-) any recommendations?' I have a 2018 36T. 2 adults 3 kids and reluctant mini golden-doodle. I am considering a used bad boy buggy. But probably overkill since all I hunt for is my keys every morning.
Check the rules about the 'bad boy buggy'. They appear to be allowing guests to use gasoline powered carts in The Fort now, but for years they did not. Probably only a matter of time before folks push the rules too much (hmmm... maybe my 2door Tracker with roof off is a cart ) and they go back to battery only.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Check the rules about the 'bad boy buggy'. They appear to be allowing guests to use gasoline powered carts in The Fort now, but for years they did not.
RIVATE CART RULES
• Follow General Vehicle and General Cart Rules above.
Must be golf style carts; Off-road, ATV, utility or construction-type carts are not permitted.
• Must have maximum speed not to exceed 20 MPH.
• Must be equipped with head and tail lights to operate after dusk.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #231

Thanks, Grumpy. Are the bad boy buggy carts persona non grata at most campsites, if so... I didn't want a BBB anyhow.

In the exact opposite direction, has anyone ever looked at the cricket sx3 golf cart?
kckohlhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #232
Site Team

I actually saw a Cricket at Ft. Wilderness last summer. Neat little cart. I'm not sure how well it would fit multiple kids across the back, but neat none the less.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #233

Quote:
I actually saw a Cricket at Ft. Wilderness last summer. Neat little cart. I'm not sure how well it would fit multiple kids across the back, but neat none the less.
We had one of the first ones in 2002 not bad for two. The new ones are supposed to be faster and a little beefier. I too have seen.people at the FORT with 4 adults on one and
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #234

I've been on the DisBoards for quite a few years now, and I try to keep up with the ever-evolving Mouse.
Fort Wilderness is a popular place. There are people that camp at the Fort without going to the parks. Many of them are regulars, and they often camp for extended periods and/or often.
They recommend reserving sites early for Christmas and October.

As for Fast Passes, we've learned that the early bird gets the worm.
At the recommendation of the DISsers, my husband gets up before 6:00 a.m. (our time) 60 days out to book fast passes. Sometimes, he still fails to get one or two.
We have been reading that people tend to not get fast passes for Slinky Dog and Flight of Passage unless they are booking for the third day of the trip or further out.
And a fast pass is a must if you don't like waiting in line for hours.

Our window is coming up. I'll report back how it works for us.

We booked dining at 180 days out.
We were able to get both Cinderella's Royal Table and the Be Our Guest, both difficult to get without advanced dining reservations. Again, my husband wakes up early and is on My Disney Experience at 6:00.

We are looking forward to our trip there.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #235

How many days out do you guys fax the Fort loop request? I'm arriving Friday 4/19 - so do I fax it this coming Friday 4/12 or Monday 4/15? I don't have access to a fax machine over the weekend.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM   #236

When we went last year, I faxed my request 1 week in advance.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #237
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

We booked dining at 180 days out.
We were able to get both Cinderella's Royal Table and the Be Our Guest, both difficult to get without advanced dining reservations.
We have Cinderella's Royal Table scheduled again this year. However, we didn't even attempt to get Be Our Guest. We used to go there all of the time when my oldest daughter was really in to the movie. She used to get all dressed up in her princess dress and couldn't wait to get her picture with the Beast. Now, as a teenager, she's all about what food she likes best and there just isn't anything on the menu to really bring us back. Our 4 year old really doesn't have much interest in the story yet. Maybe she will in a few years and we will get a reservation there again. But until then, we figured it would be better to just leave the open spots for the families who's kids are really interested in dining there.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
When we went last year, I faxed my request 1 week in advance.
I read something where Grumpy said they start assigning spots 5 days out. Would the fax get 'lost in the shuffle' 1 week out?

The earliest I can fax my request would be this Monday for a next Friday arrival. Is that cutting it too close or am I better off faxing this coming Friday?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #239

It didn’t get lost. I got the 400 loop I requested.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I read something where Grumpy said they start assigning spots 5 days out. Would the fax get 'lost in the shuffle' 1 week out?
Usually not.