Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #1

Generator Box or Mounting System?

Good morning all,

As a winter project, I am thinking of setting up a generator mounting system for my truck bed. This may or may not include buying a new generator/generators, but that's not the subject of my questions.

I'm looking for thoughts on mounting generator boxes in the bed of my truck or possibly one of those slide out bed rack systems to mount my generator on. Couple of things I want to accomplish here. First, we are boondocking almost all of the time. I would love to be able to run my generator without pulling it out of the bed all the time. Second, I am looking for some way of securing them from theft.

Is anyone using a similar setup? Are you running a ground down from the bed to the ground when in use? Any suggestions on commercially available generator security boxes?

Thanks in advance

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #2

I only use my 2KW Generator to power up my trailer on-board Converter/Charger to re-charge my battery bank each morning when allowed to run my generator. This takes around three hours of generator run time to get from my 50% charge state to its 90% charge state.

We use just about everything on the POPUP except the Air conditioner and high wattage microwave when we are camping off-grid. My battery bank will run all of the items we like to use and drop down to around 12.0VDC by 8Am the next morning when we want to re-charge it all back up to the 90% charge state.

My 2KW Honda small generator sits secured with a steel cable in the tailgate corner of my truck bed. My truck bed is covevered with one of those FOLD-A-COVER bed covers and is lockable.

When being used I just pull out my 2KW onto the truck tail gate and use. I do not run the generator frame round to earth ground but could be done I guess...

Been doing this since 2009 with my setup.

I have never had any issues with theft with the idea if it is out of sight it is safe.

Roy's image

My F150 truck looks like this photo with truck closed up and locked.

Google Image

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #3

Thanks. I hadn't considered a locking tonneau cover. That is one possible option.

I was originally thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper of my trailer. But 2 things are holding me back. First, this new one is a bunkhouse. I don't like the idea of the exhaust being that close to the kids bunk area. Secondly, my trailer is already very rear heavy due to its layout. I hesitate to add anything additional back there. I already struggle getting enough tongue weight.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Thanks. I hadn't considered a locking tonneau cover. That is one possible option. We have a soft, rollup tonneau. The generator is quiet and out of sight.

I was originally thinking of mounting it on the rear bumper of my trailer. But 2 things are holding me back. First, this new one is a bunkhouse. I don't like the idea of the exhaust being that close to the kids bunk area. Secondly, my trailer is already very rear heavy due to its layout. I hesitate to add anything additional back there. I already struggle getting enough tongue weight. IMO, both are excellent reasons!
We have a Champion 3100 inverter generator that I strap into the pickup bed, between the right wheel well and the tailgate. We drop the tailgate and run it in the bed in that position. We close the tailgate when the generator isn't running. I haven't felt the need (yet?) to use a security cable.

We have run the generator primarily in 'economy mode' with the tonneau cover closed to charge our 2 batteries. It will run the air conditioner, but at those higher loads I'm not sure if it would get sufficient cooling under the closed tonneau.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #5

Generators are much quieter when they are sitting on the ground. That's the only way I use mine.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the ideas so far. Please keep them coming.

I've always run mine on the ground also. But the fun of dragging that thing in and out of my bed is waning with each passing year. I'm also very concerned with theft at this point, especially if I end up purchasing a new generator/generators this winter. Unfortunately, the drug epidemic in our area tends to lead to things that aren't bolted down and out of sight tending to disappear.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #7

This or something similar mounted in my truck bed is what I was looking at if I decide to go to a smaller generator.

www.rvgeneratorbox.com

Old 10-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

Tool box

A few years ago I almost bought a cross bed aluminum toolbox that was designed to hold a generator in approximately half of the box - but ultimately didn't want to loose the tool storage capacity so just used locking cable in bed - I'm sorry that I don't remember the brand

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

I store my gen on a rolling scissor lift. Roll it out to the truck slide it into the bed when I get home sold of off and roll it back in the garage so I don't have to lift it.

When in the truck I use a security cable to one of the steel tie downs in the bed. My truck is on 35s with a full size spare carrier in the bed so a hard tonnoe cover won't work for me. I have a cover for the gen for weather and just use it to charge the battery bank for a few hours since I installed a 30amp Iota charger. Works well for me.
Promod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #10

I load and unload my generator from the basement of my camper with a winch.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote