Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Acadia National Park

Good morning,
My family is looking to visit Acadia National Park next summer. Do you kind folks have any recommendations on campgrounds. We have a six year old girl who loves playgrounds, pools etc. We are traveling from Long Island. We have a 2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Thanks
Tom
Tg310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #2

We stayed at Hadley's Point CG earlier this year. It was very nice. Well kept, nice playground, pool, plus you can walk down the road to a little beach.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #3

Due to the size of your unit you will be restricted and must plan your turns ahead..
Many campgrounds like Somes View ( which is lovely) cannot take your unit. That said all the campgrounds that can handle that size are outside the NP.. Be aware that in 2020 there may be a reservation system so you must preplan your days too for your visit in the Park

https://www.mdislander.com/maine-new...-start-in-2020

The traffic is getting insane

Mt Desert Narrows is just on Island and has what you need. Does have a pool.. tts companion Narrows Too is just off island and is actually lovely with a pool.

Oceanside KOA is just on island and is right where rt 3 curves to the left. It is easy to miss the entrance.. There is a second one down the road but the sharp turn has put at least one fifth wheel in the ditch( we saw it). If you choose that one and miss the turn go another mile or two down 102 to Town Hill where there is room to make a U turn.

Oceanside does not have a pool.. Pools are rare where the temperature hardly ever gets above 80

Bar Harbor Campground is just outside of BH.. It has a heated pool. But does not take reservations or credit cards. ( this is strange to me but I have been by there and it seems fine!)

We live about two hours away and will head to Acadia in a week or so for the Night Sky Festival.. We never go in the summer!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
We stayed at Hadley's Point CG earlier this year. It was very nice. Well kept, nice playground, pool, plus you can walk down the road to a little beach.
Thanks
How far from Arcadia national park was the campground
Old 09-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

It's on the island, not far over the bridge. About 10-15 minutes-ish to the main park entrance if I recall.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
It's on the island, not far over the bridge. About 10-15 minutes-ish to the main park entrance if I recall.
Are their campgrounds in Arcadia?
Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

There are four campgrounds in Acadia NP proper. Blackwoods and Seawall on Mount Desert Island, Schoodic on the Schoodic Peninsula and Duck Harbor on Isle Au Haut.

Blackwoods and Seawall are not for larger RV's and offer no services other than central water ( not at the site) and a dump station. Schoodic has electric and a dump station and central water. Isle Au Haut is not RV accessible ( you have to go by boat)

Acadia is such a small park that going even from Seawall ( on the western side ) to Bar Harbor is a half an hour drive.

Schoodic is the most scenic uncrowded and hard to get to.. About an hour from Bar Harbor though there is an expensive ferry.

Hadley's Point is a public beach.. We often drive there and launch kayaks even if we don't camp there.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #8

I am currently at Bar Harbor CG. As stated before there are no reservations or credit cards (ATM in office). I arrived on Friday, Sept. 6 and there were only a handful of sites available for RV's. I would be afraid to take a chance in the summer to use this CG.

I previously stayed at the KOA Woodlands and Smugglers Den on Mount Dessert Island. Both nice.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote