Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Battery Question

Would it be ok to drive my trailer for a short 5 minutes to park for storage without the battery & also bring it back to house form storage without the battery? Just wondering if I can take the battery out while it's at my home and start charging between trips? Would it hurt the trailer in any way to run it without the battery while I have the 7 prong plugged into my truck? Would the turn signals & brake lights work without battery?

I think I read on one of these threads it is illegal to run without battery?
Again it would literally be for only 5 minutes/2 miles
I live in Ohio

Thanks in advance for any feedback

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

The big one is that your emergency breakaway switch will not apply the brakes if the pin gets pulled. No need to take the battery out over the summer. Just make sure it is fully charged, when you get to storage as the last thing, disconnect the cables from one of the terminals. While batteries do self discharge, it will take several months.
Now, over the winter...pull the battery after you get to storage, and bring it back home, to get periodic charges or be on a trickle charger. Here in the Frozen north, it gets cold enough we don't even have to worry about that. All my batteries (boat, RV) are well over 90% charged after 6 mos in cold storage. But I'm talking temps above/below zero for a good part of the time.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

The reason it's "illegal" to run without a battery is because your emergency break away trailer brakes won't work without a battery. If it's only 5 minutes I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an electric tongue jack which won't work without a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Not worried about the trailer brake for a short 5 minute trip but I didn't think about the electric tongue jack which is what I have.
I've had issues with battery not keeping a full charge but now I think it just didn't receive a full charge while on trickle when I tried charging. The last time I mentioned it to the dealer they must have done a better charge because now it works without the 7 pin plug which it wouldn't before

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Site Team

[QUOTE=kayakterp;525766]I've had issues with battery not keeping a full charge but now I think it just didn't receive a full charge while on trickle when I tried charging. /QUOTE]

What is the voltage of the battery that is not fully charged?
Do you disconnect the battery in between outings?
How long does the TT sit between outings?
Do you have a battery disconnect switch?
Has the battery ever been completely discharged?
Water level ok?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Last year I took it to the dealer to have some work done. It sat there for 6 weeks and they never dis-connected battery. Ever-since my electric tongue jack would not have enough juice to operate unless 7-pin was plugged in. Just had some more warranty stuff done and mentioned battery problems and battery has been good to go since I picked it up
I do remove battery between trips
Been using it a lot this Spring (almost every weekend for 2 months)
Don't have the switch (yet)
Don't think it has been completely discharged and service dealer confirmed this and water is good level
Don't have a voltage meter to test

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #7

Kayak,

Check my mods thread link to see how I mounted a Blue Sea Mini Switch for my battery. Used a larger battery box (group 27 or maybe slightly larger, can't recall for sure) and surface mounted the switch in the box in the back side (facing the tt). Used a 2x6 inside the box to prevent the battery from sliding around.

Our 32 is stored inside during the winter here in Mid Mi and I only shut the battery off, but don't pull it. Both times in the spring when I picked the tt up I turned the battery on and all was good to go.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote