Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
What could you do if you find out right in front of an overhead bridge(sign: 12'8'') that your RV(13') is too tall for the bridge clearance, but you could not turn or backup?

Should a margin of 6 inches be added for calculating clearance?
I recently posted my evaluation of Garmin’s bridge clearance algorithm. Hope that helps.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #22

X2

Carl-
chevyman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #23

Garmin RV890

We bought a Garmin RV890 and took it on a longish trip this summer. After our old car GPS took us to a bridge in a city we couldn't fit under I wanted something else. It is extremely RV friendly. I would give it 9.5/10 rating and would buy again. The folks at Changing Lanes did a side by side of it and the Rand McNally OverDryve 7.

pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
What could you do if you find out right in front of an overhead bridge(sign: 12'8'') that your RV(13') is too tall for the bridge clearance, but you could not turn or backup?

Should a margin of 6 inches be added for calculating clearance?

Happened to us. I never thought to consider that given route would be safe in one direction but not on the return. On the return trip in Ft Worth from Vogt RV, RV Trip Wizard correctly told me to get off the highway to route around a low bridge but I did not zoom in close enough to see the slight change. So in rush hour traffic we come upon a bridge marked 13'6" and we are 13'7". luckily I saw that the overpass is inclined and was clear that the far left lane was higher. A good Samaritan behind me saw my predicament and blocked traffic so I could change lanes and slip under by a hair. I'll never make that mistake again and will always read the turn-by-turns.

BTW, I recreated the route in my new Garmin and it properly routed me around the hazard in the westbound direction. The route is 121 Airport Hwy in Ft Worth at Sylvania Ave. Sylvania is higher over Rt. 121 in the eastbound direction than the westbound.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #25

I have a garmin rv with the traffic cable. Would not be with out it. I added a foot to mine also. Just remember they do resurface the roads, and do not change the bridge height when the add to the road, on top instead of the road already there. Could make the bridge lower than what it says it is originally was. As for traffic it saved us a couple hours when there was 2 truck blocking the highway, it suggested another route arround and we took that route. Yes it is worth it for sure.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote