Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Camping World Surprise Call

I know there is quite a bit of displeasure with Camping World but, I got an interesting call today. We purchased our Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS June the 10th of this year from Camping World of Tallahassee, FL. Our initial walk through revealed zero issues with the unit. I did find some minor stuff when we got it home that I was able to take care of myself.

I got a call from the Service Manager today telling me that the parts were in for our FW ... Apparently, our sales rep saw some issues but never let us know about them. If he did, I just don't recall. Seems as if there is a scratch in the sink, a problem with one of the slide seals, a couple of scratches on the body of the unit, and an issue with the left rear leveler jack.

They are going to install a new sink, replace the left rear jack, replace a slide seal, and touch up some scratches on the FW.

Just thought I would share an unexpected surprise from a company that doesn't have the best reputation in the RV world.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

Sounds to me like camping world is "padding" their warranty claims as things roll into the slow season. Nothing like replacing some simple parts and billing for them to keep the shop busy.

I'd be willing to bet if you tell them you have a problem with your black tank leaking you will never get a call back...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Perhaps they're hopefully feeling the sting of customers not patronizing them any longer due to their CEO making unfortunate politically charged remarks recently. I received a letter from CW in the mail shortly after the aformentioned faux pax trying to persuade me to purchase a new cover of which I have no need of. I subsequently returned the letter as well as a reply to them that upon their CEO's request, I will no longer patronize them.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

yea... I surmise that they want you to bring it and leave it during the Hurricane - since they are hurting for business as everyone is evacuating.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog View Post
Perhaps they're hopefully feeling the sting of customers not patronizing them any longer due to their CEO making unfortunate politically charged remarks recently. I received a letter from CW in the mail shortly after the aformentioned faux pax trying to persuade me to purchase a new cover of which I have no need of. I subsequently returned the letter as well as a reply to them that upon their CEO's request, I will no longer patronize them.
We got the same letter... and responded almost the same way.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

I recently bought $1K of items for my Jayco camper and tow vehicle. It came up significantly cheaper for the entire order at CW, but I bought it all elsewhere. We have probably spent >$10K at CW over the last 10 years. Never again. I doubt that we are alone. I expect some big customer satisfaction pushes from them soon, but it may be too little, too late. Perhaps it is a perfect time for another big company (or a gutsy small one) to step up and grab a big chunk of available business.
Beadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We got the same letter... and responded almost the same way.
Glad to see others out there thinking like I do!
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #8
bap

To bad people feel the need to turn the OP's post about a positive experience they had into a political agenda. The OP did not mention anything at all about Camping World's CEO and any statements he might have made, but some people are so narrow minded that they have to make it into their own political agenda.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:34 AM   #9

+1, easy to pile on that situation, to which he's apologized I understand
Old 09-08-2017, 05:41 AM   #10

Maybe this is just an honest dealer but the cynical part of me would be asking myself why they didn't point these things out to you at the PDI walk though?

I am very non-trusting of sales people in general as their objective is always the complete opposite of mine and every other consumer. They are out to make as much money as they can and we are out to save as much money as we can. That's why its so important to be an "Educated Consumer"

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Sounds to me like camping world is "padding" their warranty claims as things roll into the slow season. Nothing like replacing some simple parts and billing for them to keep the shop busy.

I'd be willing to bet if you tell them you have a problem with your black tank leaking you will never get a call back...
Camping world should go of business now that they have taken over Gander Mountain. It's just a matter of time. Gander Mountain went out of business not one but twice.

They have to pad the claims on everthing
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #12

First, Camping World is a large organization that has been around for a long time. I have no doubt they will be around a lot longer.

Second, each dealer does things differently. They are different service managers, different technicians. Some may be really good, some really bad.

Third, never trust a salesman. Get everything in writing, signed by one of the managers. Double check any figures/features stated by the salesman with an independent source.

CW CEO. I rarely consider politics when shopping, but, based on all the information I am glad to shop there, even before his apology. No, I am not a democrat.

So, I have had fairly good experiences with the CW's that I have been into. We bought our trailer from the El Paso store. I rarely need to have work done as I fix ours myself. It is usually too much trouble to take the trailer into a dealer since we are full timers. CW's have been great to get parts and supplies and are frequently as cheap or cheaper than same products elsewhere.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
I know there is quite a bit of displeasure with Camping World but, I got an interesting call today. We purchased our Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS June the 10th of this year from Camping World of Tallahassee, FL. Our initial walk through revealed zero issues with the unit. I did find some minor stuff when we got it home that I was able to take care of myself.

I got a call from the Service Manager today telling me that the parts were in for our FW ... Apparently, our sales rep saw some issues but never let us know about them. If he did, I just don't recall. Seems as if there is a scratch in the sink, a problem with one of the slide seals, a couple of scratches on the body of the unit, and an issue with the left rear leveler jack.

They are going to install a new sink, replace the left rear jack, replace a slide seal, and touch up some scratches on the FW.

Just thought I would share an unexpected surprise from a company that doesn't have the best reputation in the RV world.
triplebvalp,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with your dealership.
IMO a dealership is made up of the people that work there - not the corporation that may own it.

Too often people are too quick to share their negative experiences and not often enough to share their positive experiences.

So thanks for taking the time to post this.

Good luck with the repairs and stay safe during Hurricane Irma.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
triplebvalp,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with your dealership.
IMO a dealership is made up of the people that work there - not the corporation that may own it.

Too often people are too quick to share their negative experiences and not often enough to share their positive experiences.

So thanks for taking the time to post this.

Good luck with the repairs and stay safe during Hurricane Irma.
Thanks for the kind words ROC-REQS and thanks for the well wishes concerning Irma. We are near Ft. Walton Beach, FL and it appears that Irma will be well East of us. If she takes another Westerly "jog" today, I will be in the Hurricane prep mode tomorrow although, living on the coast of Florida, we are always in the hurricane prep mode
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #15

I can't stop shopping at CW over these recent remarks because I stopped shopping there a few years ago when they merged with Good Sams and my CW card was ???? upgraded ???? to include Good Sams stuff. That alone was not a problem but when I started getting almost daily mailings for this program or that insurance from them I quietly cut up my card. Well not so quietly, I sent an email to Marcis explaining why I was cancelling my membership. I did get a response saying they would take me off the mailing list, but the damage was done.

His political views aside, the whole atmosphere at CW changed several years ago and they are all about big marketing and small on good service.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #16

My dealer called me a few weeks after buying and wanted me to sign a paper that says I knew about damage and the repair (allegedly decal issues) that I knew nothing about. I put the paper work through the shredder. Wouldn't be surprised if they reprinted and forged my name.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote