Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Desperately Bad Jayco Quality

My 11 month old Whitehawk 24MBH suffered a blowout on the left front tire (chinese bomb) on 11/25/18. Prior to that, a window failed while driving and the valances were sucked off the wall while driving 60-65mph. The first issue was poorly repaired and failed again when the chinese bomb exploded. The blow out took our a ton of stuff including the lower dinette slide works. Today I learned that it also destroyed an axle. Jayco is unreliable for providing parts, it takes them forever to ship. I haven't used my camper for 90 days and when I get it back it will be rolling salvage. I am terribly disappointed in my Jayco purchase and will not consider another Jayco product! Further, when I talk to Jayco they could care less! I mentioned the warranty and was advised that it is a pass thru warranty to the parts manufacturers; so, is the Jayco warranty a real thing????
Retired17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

Never realized that tire blowouts were covered under warranty.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

No tire blow outs are not covered under warranty! This trailer is a lemon and a rolling piece of salvage; but, only if it ever gets repaired! It cannot roll on a broken axle. I have insurance and cannot even have blow out damage repaired in 3 months. I can buy a tire; but, what about the other 4 Chinese bombs???? This occurred with 4,089 miles on a new trailer. I think you miss the point! I can buy a tire; but, should I buy 5??? I guess only if Jayco will ever provide parts! I have been waiting on parts since November!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

You have to realize how RVs are built. Jayco warranties the stuff they build, like the walls, roof, etc. The mechanicals are warrantied by the companies that supply them. Like the microwave, AC, power converter, frame, axles, in the case of a motor home the entire chassis and drive train. Jayco doesn't make those things.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

I don't care how it works, as far as I am concerned it's not working for me! I paid a significant sum of money and used a brand new Jayco for 11 months. I only wanted the Jayco quality they advertise very strongly!
Old 02-22-2019, 02:30 PM   #6

the dealer should help you wade through the mess.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #7

Not sure if I follow this. 2018 Whitehawk has "American-made nitro-filled Goodyear radial tires" as part of the mandatory customer value package. What are these "Chinese bombs" the OP is complaining about? Did he replace the Goodyears?
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Not sure if I follow this. 2018 Whitehawk has "American-made nitro-filled Goodyear radial tires" as part of the mandatory customer value package. What are these "Chinese bombs" the OP is complaining about? Did he replace the Goodyears?

Ah, I see. The trailer was 11 months old back in November. I read it as 11 months old now. My mistake.

(Also, just like in my everyday life, I replied to myself )
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired17 View Post
I don't care how it works, as far as I am concerned it's not working for me! I paid a significant sum of money and used a brand new Jayco for 11 months. I only wanted the Jayco quality they advertise very strongly!
So why are you jumping down our throats? We don't work for Jayco, we're ordinary owners just like you. No one from Jayco reads these forum posts. As said, your dealer needs to be your advocate. Unfortunately many dealers are notorious for dragging their feet and blaming it on the manufacturer or other factors. Work through the dealer or consult an attorney and find out what your options are.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

A dealer taking off the Goodyears to sell back to you someday and putting on cheap China bombs??? Surely not!
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #11

In my rage directed at Jayco, I could have added detail. The trailer is a 2017 built with "Provider" Chinese bombs, not Goodyear. They changed to Goodyear middle of 2017. Doc don't take this personally, I'm outraged at Jayco. Not only did their tire explode; but, we've been trying to get parts since last November, most recently an axle. An axle was destroyed from a blow out??? By the way, my dealer is trying and I have talked direct to Jayco numerous times. Sadly, Jayco does not have a shred of care and I am told an axle is on order and has to be manufactured. Jayco is saying that. I have had pop up campers boats and driven them until I sold them without changing a tire or having a flat. An owner of a Whitehawk owned for only 11 months before disaster deserves better. Not to even mention the valances falling off of the wall and the roof leaks after just a few month of ownership. I was patient until this Month. I have cancelled travel in December, January, February and it looks like I'll cancel for March and who knows how long.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Usual with tire failure we never hear the real story. In general manufactures put the cheapest tires on RV's. Many had good luck with the Chinese tires when well taken care off and many have a speed limit of 65 mi/hour. Jayco doesn't warranty the tires, the tire manufacturer does.
If people start with an attitude with Jayco you will not get much done similar with other manufactures and dealers. Many people got good service from Jayco and are happy with their product. When RV demand is high errors will slip through productions. And also it are not mom and pop shops who will give top service to keep their clientele.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #13

I didn't start with an attitude; but, acquired it recently. Jayco didn't care when I did not have an attitude. My experience with Jayco may be the exception to the norm. I will say I did not expect to be treated so poorly by Jayco.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I didn't start with an attitude; but, acquired it recently. Jayco didn't care when I did not have an attitude. My experience with Jayco may be the exception to the norm. I will say I did not expect to be treated so poorly by Jayco.
I see you're in Dallas...just curious who your dealer is?
Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #15

Vogt RV is my dealer. They try.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Vogt RV is my dealer. They try.
OK...I was gonna say if it's CW (bought RV Max after I purchased my unit)...it wasn't pleasant! But I've actually heard good things about Vogt from others. Sorry about the crap your dealing with...hope it works out for you!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #17

Quote:

If you purchased a new home and your stove broke would you call the builder or the stove repair guy? No different with RV. The tire mfg is responsible for the tire and any warranty if there is any to cover any damage it may of done. Or, your insurance company if you have RV insurance may cover the damage. Jayco is known for great service and the vast majority on here will attest to it. They stand behind what they build. Getting parts, which are not stocked, can take a while. The industry and all their suppliers are pushed to the max and supply lines are short.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #18

Sorry about your troubles. I have had 3 different brands in the last 15 months. My latest (Jayco) goes in for warranty repairs on Monday. None of the manufacturers would cover damage from a blowout. The other items (if not caused by the blowout) should be covered and taken care of.

As mentioned earlier, I would want to know how the blowout occurred. Did I do something wrong to cause it or was there an inherent problem with the trailer that caused it? I am not sure how a blowout could cause an axle failure. I would question the dealer about it happening, the other way around. An alignment problem? A bent axle from overloading? Too low air pressure? Were there any signs of problems on the other 3 tires? etc . . .

PS report those tires to NHSTA. They are always playing catch-up, but it might save someone else a headache in the future.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #19

I did report the tires. I checked the tire pressure 1 hour before it blew. The temp was 40 degrees. This almost new tire blew with perfect pressure under normal circumstances. Every thing else was perfect and the trailer and truck were lightly loaded. Pure and simple tire failure! Jayco product failure!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #20

Quote:
I did report the tires. I checked the tire pressure 1 hour before it blew. The temp was 40 degrees. This almost new tire blew with perfect pressure under normal circumstances. Every thing else was perfect and the trailer and truck were lightly loaded. Pure and simple tire failure! Jayco product failure!
Yeah, tire failure would be the same for them all. You are on your own unless the rest had issues, or the trailer caused it. Jayco has no fault in that one other than installing cheap tires. You won't find that different on any other brand either . . . I bought my Jayco partially because the made the jump to Endurance tires, where the Keystone and Grand Design hadn't.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote