Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
I have the hard wired Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. I sleep well knowing it will not grow legs at night.

Progressive Indistries 30 Amp Electrical Management System w Remote Display
Yeah, thats it. I like that the best. I have to pull things apart anyway when the weather get civilized. I want to wire in my gen. to the same place the rv power cord connects and I'm guessing the EMS must get connected there as well.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #22

Many people suggest you have the portable unit rather than the hard wired unit. Under some circumstances units can be physically damaged which could cause harm if it was affixed to your unit. You can get a lock box which makes it more difficult to seal your protector. I did have lightening take out one unit, actually turned the display char black, I was happy it was away from my unit not attached to the wood structure.

Also if you do feel a current when you touch your rig, do not enter it, let the campground management know, it can be dangerous. Problem is people unfamiliar with campground and RV wiring think it is the same as house wiring, where you connect the ground and neutral together, an RV uses the frame as the negative you need to run your ground all the way to the box.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #23
Site Team

Most cg breaker panels have a lock tab. Just slip your own padlock on it until you leave.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #24

I had a power surge that fried the inverter in a camper. It was so high it melted the wires on the plug to the auto....It was a pain to fix everything and not cheap. i decided after that to get a surge protector. cheaper than replacing everything else.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
I had a power surge that fried the inverter in a camper. It was so high it melted the wires on the plug to the auto....It was a pain to fix everything and not cheap. i decided after that to get a surge protector. cheaper than replacing everything else.
I did not understand this "...melted the wires on the plug to the auto..."? Are you referring to a surge from your tow vehicle or shore power? Melting the wires to the tow vehicle is going to require some major amperage and bypassed fuses.

Assuming you are meaning shore power:

I think you meant converter not inverter. Inverter changes 12VDC to 120VAC.

Be aware that a surge only protector would probably not prevent the problem you encountered. A surge protector clamps extremely high voltage, short duration spikes. It does not stop simple over voltage situations. You will need an EMS that will shut down power for over voltage.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #26

I've camped for years at campgrounds and never had a problem or gave it much thought. Last season, I bought a brand new Jayco and on one of my first trips out in it...ZAPPO! I was going to 'driveway camp' at a friends place and he wired me up an outlet to his garage circuit breaker. Smoked my converter and microwave oven...everything else survived.

Do yourself a favor....protect yourself.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #27

Surge Protectors

Are the Progressives UL rated? If so, just wondering what the UL1449 clamping voltage is for these units. I didn't see any reference in the links. I would be concerned if they aren't UL listed TVSS devices.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #28

I had pedestal issues at two separate campgrounds last year. I use the Progressive Industries EMS....
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
Are the Progressives UL rated? If so, just wondering what the UL1449 clamping voltage is for these units. I didn't see any reference in the links. I would be concerned if they aren't UL listed TVSS devices.
I found nothing regarding UL listing or the clamp voltage. I don't understand your concern. I absolutely guarantee, UL listed or not, the protection provided by this device is far better than just a 30 amp current limiting circuit breaker.

Here is a link to Progressive Industries:

Progressive Industries

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #30

I just installed the Surge Guard 50A hardwired 34560 with optional LCD monitor. I do HVAC and seen surges and improper power do bad things to control boards in air conditioning and heating units. I agree with gcloss now I don't have to worry about it growing legs and disappearing at night or when away from camper. LCD screen is awesome. Shows L1 and L2 voltage and amperage and any errors and has delay when fault occurs. Nice unit! Very happy. Recommend surge protection on all RVs.