Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #21

Extended Warranty or Not

Hello,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. But it has to be an incredible price for me to take it. Thanks
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. But it has to be an incredible price for me to take it. Thanks
What ever price you feel is fair will make your decision for you. I bought one for a new 2003 Monaco Class A I bought in 2003.

A year after the factory warranty expired the engine dropped a valve. A complete long block was needed and the bill for parts and labor was $10,000.

Definitely paid for itself that time. Good luck.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #23

I bought one - wish I hadn’t! Read it, particularly the ‘Exclusions’. They describe everything they won’t cover and say nothing about what they will cover - let me tell you the exclusion list is long and deep!
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:35 AM   #24

Extended Warranty or Not

Thanks. I am leaning towards not getting it
Old 03-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #25

Extended Warranties

You will find that there are two groups of people that will chime in on this topic. Those that feel they’ll be better off “rolling the dice” and doing their own repairs and hoping nothing major happens to their rig. And those who are uncomfortable about the possibility of looking at a several thousand dollar repair bill sometime down the road. For me I rarely buy extended warranties, but I opted to add 5 more years of warranty to my rig (8 years total) since I’ll be retired and won’t have the resources to lay out a chunk of cash for a major repair. So to answer your question, if you have the resources now and can negotiate a good package, it will give you peace of mind.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #26

I figured I should chime in on this thread. To begin with, I've never ever purchased an extended warranty. However, my Jayco warranty will expire May of this year. Being full time, I don't have the luxury of leaving my rig with a dealer for weeks or months on end. I've probably had at least $4,000 in warranty repairs in the last two years. Having decided to continue full timing for at least another 4 years, I decided to purchase an extended warranty. I purchased it from the Jayco dealer (not my purchasing dealer) that has performed all my warranty work the last two years.

It's a 5 year extended warranty, both transferable & refundable. I have a $100 deductible with a zero deductible if I bring it to the dealer I purchased the warranty from. It covers absolutely everything except the frame. It covers, the most important part to me, mobile tech charges. I paid $2,450 for it. I will guarantee you that I will use that in the next 5 years.............probably on the failure of the front landing gear alone!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #27
Al1

Consumers Reports says:

"Extended warranties are an investment in peace of mind that limits financial risk for a set period of time. But beware: A CR member survey conducted in 2013 showed that car owners typically paid more for the coverage than they got back in direct benefits. This isn’t surprising, because extended warranties make a lot of money for those who sell them.

Owners can create an emergency fund for repairs that they can tap into when needed. And if that money isn’t needed for repairs, it can go toward the purchase of the next car. If you do want to purchase an extended warranty, remember that the price can be negotiated, just like the purchase price for the car."
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #28

$2450.00 for a 5 years warranty. Can I ask where you purchased it from? Thanks for the information and your input. Steve
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #29

Quote:
$2450.00 for a 5 years warranty. Can I ask where you purchased it from? Thanks for the information and your input. Steve
I purchased it from Steve's RV in Lacombe, LA, the best Jayco dealer I've ever come across. They use USA Travel Care, underwritten by American Guardian Warranty Services. They both get the best reviews I've ever seen for a warranty provider.

https://www.stevesrv.com/
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Hello,

Buying a new 2021 Accolade 37TS. Is the "Extended Warranty" worth the money it cost? Appreciate any thoughts.
I don't think it's worth it if you're a full timer. Jayco won't pay for any warranty repairs unless you take it to the dealer which is hard to do if you're in the trailer full time and your dealer is backed up with maintenance repairs.
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #31

Thanks for taking your time to provide your input. I truly appreciate it. Steve
Old 05-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #32

If you finance through a credit union they will offer an extended warranty for much less.
LovinHavasu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #33
CAG

There are hundreds of these threads with should I buy an extended warranty and in most cases, Those in the know say forget it. Some luck out and find that what they spent was way less than what they got back but the majority or in the other field. Consumer Reports and Dave Ramsey both say NO!. I have had a couple over the years and neither turned out to be a winner. In-fact one was a major bust because I could not even get them to answer my phone calls. It is like a trip to Vegas. You might come home a winner but chances are you won't.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #34

Extended Warranty or Not

Well put!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #35

Has anyone actually used the warranty from USA Travel Care or American Guardian Warranty Service? When I go to the American Guardian web site I see great reviews. When I started searching on the internet, I found numerous bad reviews. The BBB also does not rate them well. Every bad review states that before any repair is made, it needs to have a claim filed by the repair facility or mobile repair person and approved before any work can be done. If I call a mobile repair service, They would need to diagnose the problem, file a claim, and then wait for approval before repairing the problem. That would mean 2 visits from a mobile repair.
Pricing and coverage look good, I would just like to hear from someone that has actually used it .
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Has anyone actually used the warranty from USA Travel Care or American Guardian Warranty Service? When I go to the American Guardian web site I see great reviews. When I started searching on the internet, I found numerous bad reviews. The BBB also does not rate them well. Every bad review states that before any repair is made, it needs to have a claim filed by the repair facility or mobile repair person and approved before any work can be done. If I call a mobile repair service, They would need to diagnose the problem, file a claim, and then wait for approval before repairing the problem. That would mean 2 visits from a mobile repair.
Pricing and coverage look good, I would just like to hear from someone that has actually used it .
I have not used them, but it sounds pretty typical. If you are on a trip and an emergency repair comes up, good luck. Happened to us with the WH board. No way did I have time to call the dealer, submit a claim, wait for an answer etc. It is near impossible to get ahold of the warranty company I went with and when you do, it is just hurdle after hurdle. Would never do it again (and ours was a pretty minimal package.)
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:28 PM   #37

Our Jayco Melbourne came with the standard Jayco two-year warranty.
We were having warranty issues well into the second year, which made me glad it was a two-year warranty.
During those first two years of warranty, we used the RV a lot. Which makes me wonder if some of the warranty issues that were covered would have occurred in years three and four, for example.
It was the frequent use of the RV, I believe, that contributed to problems.
Thus: If you use your RV seldom, then for sure get an extended warranty. If you use it often, say, twice a month, then issues will arise during the two--year warranty. Then, depending on the cost of the warranty, you might pass.
That's one to look at it all, anyway.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #38

thank you
Old 05-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #39

I would destroy Dave Ramsey in a head to head debate. His philosophies are totally devoid of the human element that absolutely must be taken into consideration. There’s more to life than just paying down bills. Ask a widow whose family followed Dave Ramsey religiously and now that her husband is gone she has no memories of traveling the country in an RV with her late husband. What good is being debt free now to her? Not to be disrespectful, but who cares what Dave Ramsey says about extended warranties. He doesn’t own one.

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:00 AM   #40

I’m in the NOT crowd. If it was a good deal for us they would not offer it. Remember they are in it to make money. Will it sometimes pay off. Absolutely, but most of the time not. Do what makes you feel comfortable. If getting it releases your stress level then for you it is worth it. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote