Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #1

Extended Warranty or Not

Hello,

Buying a new 2021 Accolade 37TS. Is the "Extended Warranty" worth the money it cost? Appreciate any thoughts.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello,

Buying a new 2021 Accolade 37TS. Is the "Extended Warranty" worth the money it cost? Appreciate any thoughts.
Depends on the cost and whether there is a refund clause if you sell or trade the rig. Also is there a "zero" deductible if your selling dealer does the work? That means they back the warranty..
Old 03-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #3

How much does it cost? Is it a MANUFACTURERS warranty, or a third party warranty?

Information like that is necessary if you want an educated opinion.
Otherwise, I recommend the 2nd one.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

Starting in 1985 I decided to self insure. I've saved thousands of dollars with very few expenses. My recent cost was a Goodyear tire. The manager pointed out if I had bought the warranty the replacement would have been free. I asked him how many tires I've bought from him (20) how much would all of those premiums have been? I'm still way ahead.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

Extended Warranty or Not

It is an extended warranty from the dealership. Extends it past the manufacturer warranty 4 years for $6900.00. They do the work. $100.00 deductible. The warranty is reimbursed for unused portion of warranty.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #6

I have also thought of your approach. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

Since you live in Florida you have several options for repair. There are mobile repair services and private -non dealer- repair shops. Make sure your mobile repair and RV repair shops will accept the warranty coverage. My dealer has a 2 to 6 month waiting list for repairs depending on the problem, but a local repair shop here can get me in the following week. I’ve discovered over the years that the extended warranty can be a scam. The dealer will swear up and down it covers everything, but it won’t.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
It is an extended warranty from the dealership. Extends it past the manufacturer warranty 4 years for $6900.00. They do the work. $100.00 deductible. The warranty is reimbursed for unused portion of warranty.
That price seems high and as I said the ones I always bought had no deductible if the selling dealer did the work.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #9

I never purchase extended warranties. But this being our first TT, and not being super-knowledgeable about replacement costs, I reluctantly bought a two-year third-party extended warranty. It wasn’t terribly expensive, but I wish I would have just saved the money. Between the deductible and the required pre-approval for any repairs, it is pretty worthless. The company is near-impossible to reach on the phone, their staff is less than competent and they try hard to avoid any coverage. Save your money.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #10

I bought the extended warranty when purchasing my rig. You know, the sales pitch where I kept saying "sure, throw that in". The excitement of getting it clouded my judgement as I NEVER buy a service contract for anything.

If I had it to do over I would NOT buy the warranty. First off most things that fail will do it in the first year or so they say. Yeah, I don't agree with that 100%.

I had about 25 items that needed addressing within the first year. Did I take it back for warranty, NO. I did not want my rig sitting in the service department for months waiting for them to get around to looking at it. I asked and the wait to get in was 2 months. Then it would sit there for 2 weeks before they looked at it before ordering parts. No way!

I did all of my own repairs be it electrical or plumbing. Not a big deal as I always have done my own work and it was completed MUCH quicker.

If you are handy you probably could get by without the warranty and just put the money aside in case you have to pay for a repair.

I have no experience with RV service departments so don't know whether they cater to "cash" customers or warranty work. Maybe others have seen who gets pushed to the front of the line.

Lastly, if you have a warranty you may be limited to where you have to take it for repair. Pay cash and you can go anywhere. Mobile RV repair would be my cup of tea.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #11

Lessee $6900.00 for something you won't use for the first two years. They get your dough and don't have to do anything?

I think banking (or investing) $6900.00 and then use it after the Jayco 2 yearwarranty is up, if a repair is needed.

My opinion and worth what you paid fore it!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #12

Not, save your money and use it for repairs when needed. ~CA
Old 03-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
Site Team

My first thought was the same. That's a lot of money. Some details to check would be exactly what's covered, and if you have to return it to them annually for an "inspection" that you pay for, or the warranty is void? Are there parts or systems that are an exception and not covered? Does it include the chassis, or not? If you don't use it, will you get a refund from them?

Some folks prefer to get one, but I'm not one to accept. The Jayco warranty, plus registering all the inside components and appliances with the manufacturer was good enough for us. Never had to use any of them, maybe we were just lucky.

Jus my .01 worth.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #14

Not worth it, especially at that price! When they told me the price, I laughed at him. Of course they try to tell you all the reason you need it, but you really don't. The finance manager makes commission from warranty sales so they will push and lower the cost to get you to bite. I have never had extended warranty's on any vehicle or toy and have never needed it because it either wouldn't have covered what went wrong or it was out of time coverage.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for the input. I did the math and thought it was crazy expensive and as someone mentioned, most RVers say everything goes wrong the first two years. Well Jayco covers the first two.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #16

I’ve never had to USE this warranty, but I can vouch that dealing w/ the administrator was painless, as was cancelling and getting my refund.

RV Wholesale Warranty

Their pricing was ‘reasonable’ within the grand scheme of what warranties cost, and they offered a 6 month interest free financing option (at least at the time when I did it) that may or may not be of interest to you.

All that being said, I’m not sure if I’d get another one. I feel like Jayco’s 2 years is generous, and for a Class ‘C’ Ford will cover me largely for 5 years on the chassis. So the value of the warranty for me starts to wane.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:53 AM   #17

If it is the extended warranty that CW sells... We bought it, for a lot less - and they are MISERABLE to work on our Seneca. A worthless piece of paper it is to us. They reject almost everything, as a excluded component in the fine print.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Hello,

A couple things to keep in mind, in my opinion, when considering an extended warranty. One of the reasons I purchased a Jayco was for quality built and warranty. But RV's are like humans and have more problems as they age. I rarely buy an extended warranty for anything but felt different with the RV. The price for an EW will never be cheaper than when the RV is new. We went with Wholesale Warranties after looking into several other options.
LUVNFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #19

I paid the $75 to continue the 7 yr warranty that previous owner purchased. The exclusions page is what is important. I have used this extended warranty twice. Paid approximately $700 for various repairs & reimbursed approximately $400. Sealants, refrigerator drainage corrected, improperly operating shades are all part of the exceptions page. For my part I have done ok, but would never buy extended warranty insurance because of all the exceptions.
GVStaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Hello,

Tell them what you'll pay for it and see what happens.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote