Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #1

Favorite RV GPS and why...

Hi all, I must be doing something wrong I tried to do a search here but I get a no results reply... odd! Anyway I'm looking to buy a new GPS for my Jayco Pinnacle....phone app or separate unit. What is your choice? My Fifth Wheel is 40.6' overall not including my Truck....thank you in advance and please BE SAFE!!!! John
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

Garmin 760, 770 or 780. All with 7 inch screen.

You can enter height and length of your rig to avoid restrictions. Also has car mode. An app links to your smartphone for weather warnings and traffic. Add points of interest and whatever else you want.

I have the 760 and get free frequent updates. Garmin Express and Garmin Base Camp for your PC help with trip planning then transfer to the GPS. Bought mine used on ePay.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

[emoji106][emoji106] on the Garmin 760, 770 or 780.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply!! Do you favor one over the other?? And Why?? Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #5

Excellent reply!!! Thank you!!! I'm looking at the 770 $199..... Thoughts?
Old 06-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
Excellent reply!!! Thank you!!! I'm looking at the 770 $199..... Thoughts?
It would be a good choice!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
It would be a good choice!

Murff
Based on your recommendation and further research on my part I found a new 770rv for $189.... I pulled the trigger!!! 2 day free shipping too!!! The reviews of this unit are off the charts...... Thanks again Brother
Old 06-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Based on your recommendation and further research on my part I found a new 770rv for $189.... I pulled the trigger!!! 2 day free shipping too!!! The reviews of this unit are off the charts...... Thanks again Brother
Great choice. I bought the 770 for my rig because the built in Soundstream GPS was garbage. I've been using Garmins for at least 15+ years... probably longer. The 770 does everything I need and has great RV related data.

I stopped running it in "RV" mode, and run it in "Car" mode, as I didn't like the routes it would bring up. I stay aware of what's coming, so I'm on the lookout for low bridges, and like running the back roads, where the "RV" mode wouldn't map.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Great choice. I bought the 770 for my rig because the built in Soundstream GPS was garbage. I've been using Garmins for at least 15+ years... probably longer. The 770 does everything I need and has great RV related data.

I stopped running it in "RV" mode, and run it in "Car" mode, as I didn't like the routes it would bring up. I stay aware of what's coming, so I'm on the lookout for low bridges, and like running the back roads, where the "RV" mode wouldn't map.
That's interesting!! I'd like to try both car and RV mode before I set out and compare the routes and possible hazards....thank you!!!
Old 06-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

I bought a Garmin 51 as it is a combo camera, gps and has lane warning, following to closely, speed and a couple other things.
Lane warning went off way to often, screen a bit small and could not get it bright enough to see at some times. Easy to update and use. voice command did not work to find restaurants or how far to rest areas. Not meant for Rvs specifically but I was hopeful. Returning to Amazon to try something else.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I bought a Garmin 51 as it is a combo camera, gps and has lane warning, following to closely, speed and a couple other things.
Lane warning went off way to often, screen a bit small and could not get it bright enough to see at some times. Easy to update and use. voice command did not work to find restaurants or how far to rest areas. Not meant for Rvs specifically but I was hopeful. Returning to Amazon to try something else.
Take a close look at this Garmin 770rv that was suggested to me here..I was extremely impressed with all my research info and bought it for under $200!
Old 06-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Another happy 760 user. I have been broke down on a Hwy with no cell service so I want a gps working off the satellite. These will do traffic also but a data hog on your cell service but we don't have unlimited so don't use this feature. Only con is the voice command lady doesn't understand My Texas accent sometimes
I am thinking upgrading to the 780 only because it has a built in dashcam and could uncluttered the dash a little while traveling.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Another happy 760 user. I have been broke down on a Hwy with no cell service so I want a gps working off the satellite. These will do traffic also but a data hog on your cell service but we don't have unlimited so don't use this feature. Only con is the voice command lady doesn't understand My Texas accent sometimes
I am thinking upgrading to the 780 only because it has a built in dashcam and could uncluttered the dash a little while traveling.
Still laughing about your accent theory!! ��������....thanks for the reply, I'm chomping at the bit now waiting for my new unit to arrive....it's nice seeing so many positive reviews!!
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #14

I also have the 770 and really like it. Along with that I also have the 66W dash cam.
Pops&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops&Dee View Post
I also have the 770 and really like it. Along with that I also have the 66W dash cam.
Thanks for your response!!!! I feel really good about my choice!
Old 06-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks for your response!!!! I feel really good about my choice!
I have a smaller and older version Garmin in my truck, and during the Winter, when my rig was parked, I put the 770 in my truck, to use it there.

Now that we're camping again, the 770 is back in the rig, and I really miss it, having to go back to the smaller unit in my truck.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I have a smaller and older version Garmin in my truck, and during the Winter, when my rig was parked, I put the 770 in my truck, to use it there.

Now that we're camping again, the 770 is back in the rig, and I really miss it, having to go back to the smaller unit in my truck.
Great to hear!!! Thanks!! Mines due to arrive on my 72nd B-Day June 22!!!! Can't wait to play with it!
Old 07-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #18

Garmin Nuvi & Google Maps

I have a Garmin Nuvi. Whenever we take off from home I load Maps and Software updates.
I also use my iPhone Google Maps via CarPlay. I have often found Google to be more up to date than Garmin in regards to some routes. I enjoy the options of have two different GPS packages.
fillwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #19

Great choice on the Garmin 770. My wife got me one 2 years ago for Christmas. I like that you can store multiple vehicle profiles. I have a profile with the FW with all the dimensions and weights, and then a car profile that I switch to when not towing. I like linking my phone with the 770 so I can get traffic alerts. So far it has not driven me off the side of a mountain or into a lake. Keeping up with the updates is easy enough with Garmin Express. I like the trip planner ok, but I still opt for Good Sams or others where and can map out fuel stops along the way. With the Garmin 770 you can search what is in your area as you are traveling, but I like to try to plan ahead for fuel stops so I can find easy RV lanes at the fuel pump.

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Sorry forgot I had replied
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote