Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2021, 06:10 PM   #21
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
I have to keep that in mind we will be going west in September. We have a small trailer because we like to sit outside. We like the view and campers stop by. A fire is important to us.

Fire restrictions are a way of life in our world here in the western US. Many states, including Arizona have restrictions that generally go on in mid to late May depending on moisture (something we have had little of) and do not go off until the Monsoon moves in in late June to early July. This year there was no Monsoon and restrictions stayed on thru the summer. That means no open fire, no charcoal bar-B-Q, no smoking outside of your RV or vehicle (I don't smoke but it a problem for some I guess).

Fire restrictions were pulled in late summer which led to a major fire that threatened several towns and closed a major portion of one of the NFs. The restrictions went back on in days and were on well into Oct/Nov.

The bottom line to this is do not expect to be able to burn a wood fire (they are annoying to other campers in close proximity RV parks too). A gas fire is generally allowed when open fires are not.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #22

If you decide to go with wood, the Solo Bonfire fire pits are amazing, once the fire is going they are basically smoke free, make a lot of heat and completely burn the wood.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Fire restrictions are a way of life in our world here in the western US. Many states, including Arizona have restrictions that generally go on in mid to late May depending on moisture (something we have had little of) and do not go off until the Monsoon moves in in late June to early July. This year there was no Monsoon and restrictions stayed on thru the summer. That means no open fire, no charcoal bar-B-Q, no smoking outside of your RV or vehicle (I don't smoke but it a problem for some I guess).

Fire restrictions were pulled in late summer which led to a major fire that threatened several towns and closed a major portion of one of the NFs. The restrictions went back on in days and were on well into Oct/Nov.

The bottom line to this is do not expect to be able to burn a wood fire (they are annoying to other campers in close proximity RV parks too). A gas fire is generally allowed when open fires are not.
As he mentions... Generally, Propane fire rings are allowed when most everything else is prohibited.

Here is a link to the Stage-I, Stage-II and total closure definitions CAG describes.

https://dffm.az.gov/fire-restrictions

These are mostly similar in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and AZ.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
I am not going to be sitting outside in that weather.
Same here, unless its a trail side break while snowmobiling.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:

Maine had a severe drought last summer. We also had areas with open fire restrictions. Gas fire appliances weren't affected by the restrictions.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
Old 01-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
Same here, unless its a trail side break while snowmobiling.

How do you get the propane firepit on the snowmobile?

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #27

We are at Fort Myers pine island KOA and the campground has open fire places. They deliver wood. But no way would I burn a fire that close to my neighbors trailer.
This has me leaning to propane fire.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:
How do you get the propane firepit on the snowmobile?
You'd be surprised what can be carried in a komatik (towed sled).
Shelter & supplies for a weeks worth of snowmobile tenting/camping, back when I did that sort of thing.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
Old 02-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #29

we bit the bullet this year and bought a propane unit when it went on sale. We got tired of loading/unloading firewood. building a fire only to end it early due to wind kicking up and smoking us out....not to mention that no matter how far your rv is from the fire, the smoke seems to find it's way in. we tend to spend 7-9 days at a time out and about and then back home for a while. a five pound tank lets us use the coleman three burner grill and the fire pit without a need to refill during those excursions. we even use the propane fire pit when home. just a click and it's on.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #30

I recently purchased the Solo Stove Bonfire. I couldn't be happier with it. I little pricey but purchased with a great holiday sale. Also bought the optional spark shield to meet certain campground restrictions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-6447.jpg   IMG-6448.jpg  

2105 Jayco Jayflight 29RKS
2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty 6.7 Power Stroke
Patsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #31

My gas pit will burn up 1 tank in approx. 10 hrs on medium setting, on high setting it will last 8 hrs. The high setting is way to hot to use very much. We very pleased with ours, got it on Amazon $80..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #32

With a long hose and NO regulator on fire pit you can hook up to Motorhome at the same spot we’re you hook up your gas BBQ grille
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 PM   #33

We had enough space in the baggage compartments to have both a wood and lpg one we run off the MH. Prefer wood where allowed but use both accordingly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	68323

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	68324

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a