Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #41

sams club, 5940 Trussville Crossings Pkwy, Birmingham, AL 35235

Or Cracker Barrel
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy21 View Post
My wife and I are new to camping. We have made a few short trips over the past 4 months. We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge this summer with 3 of our grand sons. We live in Covington, LA and it looks to be about a 650 mile trip. We plan to make it to the Birmingham are on the first leg, spend the night then continue on the second leg the next day. This trip will be in a new 2021 310 RLTS Jayco that we will be getting next week. My questions are as follows?
Is that too much traveling in 2 days? Set up, tare down, Travel?
Where is a good place to stay in the Birmingham Area?
What is the normal travel day mileage that you would recommend?
Thanks
We go to PF at least twice a year. We have stayed several places there. There is a place called the Plantation that is that has a great lay out for kids. Play areas/pool look new. If you haven’t already committed to a place, check it out.
It is the last address in Severville just as you enter PF. So easy in for set up and easy get away if traffic isn’t bad.
Get a concrete pad on the creek if you can.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #43

So I wonder how did his trip go.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
So I wonder how did his trip go.
Whose? It ain't summer yet....
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:30 AM   #45

8 hrs a day is generally my limit,,i recently had a situation were i had to drive , from st. Augustine to cleveland. (950 miles) only stopping for gas , i dont recomend . No fun.
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #46

I live in Birmingham, if you are interested in mochdocking the Sams at Trussville Crossing would be good so long as its allowed but I'm not sure Trussville PD will allow.

There isn't really a good place around Birmingham that's on your route (I59 N). About an hour north of B'ham in Gadsden Al, on I59 N, there are several Good Sam's parks you could look into.
oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #47

First off, avoid Walmarts. Trucks come and go all night followed by the parking lot sweeper, then the garbage trucks, the loud shoppers etc.

Set time limits for electronic devices for the grandkids or else they will spend the entire day and never look out a window. Play games with them like Rubberneckers, finding all 50 state license plates, alphabet A-z off signs, The Best Ever Back Seat Games, everybody pick a color of truck cab and count how many each person finds in a time limit.

You'll also want activities to do if it rains all day when you are camping. Pack special treats in the freezer and cupboard. Allow the kids to pick their own food within reason, but have a rule if they pick it they have to eat it.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy21 View Post
My wife and I are new to camping. We have made a few short trips over the past 4 months. We are planning a trip to Pigeon Forge this summer with 3 of our grand sons. We live in Covington, LA and it looks to be about a 650 mile trip. We plan to make it to the Birmingham are on the first leg, spend the night then continue on the second leg the next day. This trip will be in a new 2021 310 RLTS Jayco that we will be getting next week. My questions are as follows?
Is that too much traveling in 2 days? Set up, tare down, Travel?
Where is a good place to stay in the Birmingham Area?
What is the normal travel day mileage that you would recommend?
Thanks
Hover sportsplex is a really good short overnight. All on line plenty of asphalt level spots with all hook ups. We use it as staging for longer trips and really don’t even need to unhook our fifth wheel if short on time.
camper Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:00 PM   #49

I am thinking that a larger fuel tank might be in order.
Poppy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
We did our first long trip in 2020. Our biggest take away was I hated the fuel stops. We’re pulling with a 2016 Ford F-250 shortbed which has a 28gallon tank. When we got home after our trip we had a Titan 60 gallon fuel tank installed. Fits same exact spot as factory tank it replaced. BEST thing we’ve done. Now we drive to our daily destination. Drop the 5th wheel and go buy fuel as needed. No more having to plan fuel stops or forced to buy at truck stops and choose options via Gas Buddy for best fuel prices. Have fun and safe travels
I am thinking that a larger tanks might be in order.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Sounds like a great trip with the grandkids. We took a trip to Pigeon Forge when we took delivery of our fifth wheel and flew our two grandkids into Nashville and picked them up there. Love Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg! So much to do there, hope you booked a week!!!!!
Yes, we did book a week. Didn't want to rush anything. With the Wife and I retired now we can take our time.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
As other's have said a 350 mile day will be easy to accomplish. That was our norm from day 1 with our kids and we rarely varied even when we traveled without them. Even now I hardly drive over a 400 mile day even when not towing.

As Tunce said we never disconnected for the overnights either unless we couldn't get it level. Always made ressies for a pull through if they were available. Also:
Great advise. You would be surprised at everything I'm learning that is going to make this trip a lot easier.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryNK View Post
Highly suggest you find a very close to home campground and spend two night there. Set up and take down twice. Even if you are seasoned, that is is good way to get some comfort in a new unit and make dang sure all is well before taking off.
We just did that this past week. We camped at a state park 5 miles from the house and we were able to get a good idea of what we need and don't need. Thanks
Old 02-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #54

We have found that 400 miles a day is a long day. If your mapping program says it takes 6 hours we usually add one to one and a half hours to that time to account for gas stops and eating.
Ed Brodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #55

Hello there, and congratulations on the new trailer. I'm sure you've already planned this out, but I would reinforce and highly recommend a torque wrench and socket specifically for your trailer's lug nuts, and always check them before you start any road trip. The inconvenience of losing a wheel and sometimes damaging the hub, is a big bummer. Especially in the middle of nowhere!! Happy Trails...
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:55 PM   #56

[QUOTE=JmsNMar;937656]Hello there, and congratulations on the new trailer. I'm sure you've already planned this out, but I would reinforce and highly recommend a torque wrench and socket specifically for your trailer's lug nuts, and always check them before you start any road trip. The inconvenience of losing a wheel and sometimes damaging the hub, is a big bummer. Especially in the middle of nowhere!! Happy Trails...[/QUO
I haven't thought about a torque but will strongly consider it. I carry a hydraulic floor jack, 4 way lug wrench, and spare bearings/grease. Looks like I going to update my tool list. Thanks