Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #21
RPR

It’s scary what chemicals the water companies are required to put in water by the government to “protect” us.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #22
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
It’s scary what chemicals the water companies are required to put in water by the government to “protect” us.

A funny quote from the FBI when we were doing joint investigations. "We are here from the FBI to help you". There is nothing that the feds can do that will not FUBAR a situation.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #23

What not to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spower View Post
I am currently a camp host with FHU's. Will stay here for a few months.
I am in a somewhat humid area of Iowa.

Question.....

There is about 30 - 40 gls of water in fresh tank. With the humidity i am afraid of mold.

So, should I empty it and then put some bleach in (how much if empty) (is bleach ok in empty tank?)

Or should I leave water in tank and add bleach? How much?

TIA!!
Years ago! I'm much older and wiser now, I decided to sanitize my water tank. I couldn't remember how much bleach it said to use and rather than go look, I dumped the whole gallon in. Oh My! I flushed that sucker out numerous times and it took all afternoon. Pretty sure it was extremely clean. I can remember how much to use now!
Old 07-13-2022, 12:50 PM   #24

We live in ours full time in the Gulf Coast. I keep the tank full in the event of a hurricane or other natural disaster. There are various reasons that the water supply can be shut off. It sure is nice to have water.

I fill it from a treated city water source and have never had any bad smells, tastes or cloudy water. I feel a full tank had less chance of being contaminated over time. If I plan to make a long trip, I drain most of it out to reduce weight and refill when I return to my normal home base.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Years ago! I'm much older and wiser now, I decided to sanitize my water tank. I couldn't remember how much bleach it said to use and rather than go look, I dumped the whole gallon in. Oh My! I flushed that sucker out numerous times and it took all afternoon. Pretty sure it was extremely clean. I can remember how much to use now!
, I feel your pain, and I only had a small pinch of it!

I purchased a new jug of bleach a few years back. For like 3 years in a row, I could not figure out why my water lines tasted of bleach, even after an insane amount of flushing. It was like this all season, I just could not clear the bleach taste (we normally go out a couple times a month). The last year I used that jug, I read the label a bit closer along with a google search. Found out it was a high concentrate bleach solution, something like 2-3 times the normal concentrate. I am sure everything was killed, including my desire to drink the water. Bought a new jug last year, and boy, the sanitation process was a lot easier, and a whole lot less flushing, and the water actually tastes good again.

I could not imagine how much flushing it would take to clear the taste from a whole jug down the FW tank.

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:08 PM   #26

Purogene

I no longer use bleach. It's deadly.
Purogene keeps my tank fresh.
Airlines use it....boaters user it.
I use it...

It works.
D
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:32 AM   #27

I agree with JAGIVEN
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #28

I agree with the others comments. However you would not need more than a cup of bleach with about 10 gallons of water to sanitize the tank...best to drive around with that in the tank. Then run some through each line, which will also serve to clean the grey water tank.
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #29

Before we leave on a trip we sanitize and flush. We keep moving a lot, but almost always have full hookups 20+ campgrounds in 3 months). We keep a little in the tank just to wash hands etc. while on the road.
I drain it and flush it at campgrounds (every 3 weeks + or -.) that have city water, but only do it if it's raining, to not make a water mess on the ground.
Other than that, I do try to remember to draw down the tank and add fresh whenever I think of it. No evidence on mold or algae so far. Key is to keep swapping out the water.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #30

Chlorine calculator

Here is a chlorine dilution calculator. 100 ppm for 4 hrs will sanitize your system. Up to 4ppm is safe for human consumption.https://www.publichealthontario.ca/e...alculator.aspx
sfran is offline   Reply With Quote