Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #1

Generator Question - Topping up Batteries

Looking to buy a small inverter generator to top up batteries when solar not available due to clouds/rain. Almost always boondocking, and with retirement, I am now able to extend camping season on both ends of summer, but I am finding that my solar panel is occasionally not enough on overly cloudy or rainy days.

Would a small generator like the Westinghouse iGen1200 Portable Inverter Generator (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2AKRTT/ref=emc_b_5_i) be enough to top up my two 6V batteries? Only run lights, water pump, refrigerator, and heat. Don’t need AC, microwave, TV and such.

Thanks!
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

The answer is "Yes, but..."

That 1000 watt generator will be enough to top off your batteries. I don't know how much solar you have, but 1000 watts is likely more than what your solar panels put out.

So if the panels are working for you, the generator would too.

Personally, I'd be tempted to go for a 2000 watt model, if budget allowed. But I think the direct answer to your question is "Yes, but it might take a bit longer than you expect."
Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I agree with pconroy, but I would also think long term, Would there ever be a time you want to run the A/C, micro, water heater, space heater, etc? You might want to consider spending a few more dollars now on a one time purchase, and get a larger genny, to avoid having to upgrade in the future.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks. You both make a good point about spending a bit more to future proof. Will save a few more dollars by Fall and get the bigger one.
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 07-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #5

I've been doing the same thing with a 2000W and it worked out fine. I only have used it to charge my battery. I actually carried two 12V and alternated batteries. This way if the main one didn't receive enough solar charging I had the other topped off and ready. I only needed it once in 30 days.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Not sure what rig you have. Does it have a shore power connection that you would be plugging into the generator or would you be charging the batteries directly?

If you have a shore power connection you should have a converter that does the charging. If that is the case the generator only needs to be sized to power the converter. See how much current the converter requires at max charge and pick a generator that supplies that amount without stressing.

When powering a converter a bigger generator will not charge any faster than a smaller unit (as long as the smaller unit is putting out what the converter requires). A 4k generator will not make the converter charge faster than a 1 or 2k one.

My converter outputs 60 amps with 1000 watts showing as the input requirement. I use a 2k inverter generator to top off the batteries and run my TV sometimes and it works great.

If you will be charging your batteries without going through an internal converter, everything I mentioned is mute. Just size the generator to the battery charger you would be using. If the generator has built in charging, that may be a low output that would take forever to charge batteries. I would pick at least a 15 amp charger so you don't have to wait forever for the charge to take.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #7

Hi Jim

I have an x17z Hybrid so I assume I would use the shore power connection to the generator. I’ll have to check the converter specs to match up as you recommend. It’s out at storage so I’ll have to do that in the next few days.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 07-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #8

What size converter does a 2018 Greyhawk 31fs have ? And would a 2000 watt Invertor Generator keep the battery charged ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Doesn't the Greyhawk already have an on-board generator, which can power the converter? My converter is a 60 amp, if you have a 30 amp service, it might be the same.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:23 AM   #10

If only battery charging, buy a good battery charger and the smallest of generators should be more than enough.
Otherwise I agree with the above, I would try to plan for the future and get big enough to power whole RV (just in case)
Old 07-26-2020, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
The answer is "Yes, but..."

That 1000 watt generator will be enough to top off your batteries. I don't know how much solar you have, but 1000 watts is likely more than what your solar panels put out.

So if the panels are working for you, the generator would too.

Personally, I'd be tempted to go for a 2000 watt model, if budget allowed. But I think the direct answer to your question is "Yes, but it might take a bit longer than you expect."
1000 watt generators cannot in any way, shape or form be compared to the 1000 watts DC power from a solar panel.

I love internet advice.

Read JimD's second paragraph, it's all you need to know. Unless you want to add more load than just the converter. Then obviously you need to size the generator to any and all load.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
1000 watt generators cannot in any way, shape or form be compared to the 1000 watts DC power from a solar panel.

I love internet advice.
Exactly... LOL

First, the OP never said how many watts of solar he had, and he referenced it as a "panel", meaning a singular panel. So, an educated guess, he doesn't have 1000 watts of solar.

Second, solar panels only put out power when the sun is shining. Generators put out the full 1000 watts the complete time they are running.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #13

Yeah, I just have one 100w panel and it is enough for keeping my batteries charged on our generally sunny days. I have only had issues when camping in Sawtooths early in the year as it can be cloudy and cold given the elevation.

My years of tent camping have helped us be very conservative in use of power and water, but we were admittedly restricted in early and late season camping. With the RV and solar, we we can extend the season a bit.

Again, thanks to all the replies. This site is rather amazing for all the help offered.
Husky Centerline WDH