Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2021, 06:46 AM   #1

Had a flat, Roadside Assistance not so good

This past week we went to hook up and to take off on a week long trip. Got started late as we had a flat. The trailer is stored in an RV storage site that is part of a big metro area. (Mpls & St. Paul MN) Called my Roadside Assistance company. After 2 1/2 hours they still could not find anyone. Wife and I started making calls. She found someone to come and change out flat tire (we had a good spare) after 15 minutes of calling. They were there in 25 minutes and changed out tire in about 1/2 hour. Just as we hooked up and ready to go got a text from Roadside Assistance company that someone would be there in 2 hours. That would have been in 5 1/2 hours after call was made. So my question is who do you use and what has been your experience with them? (My vendor was Good Sam.)
dlewand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewand53 View Post
This past week we went to hook up and to take off on a week long trip. Got started late as we had a flat. The trailer is stored in an RV storage site that is part of a big metro area. (Mpls & St. Paul MN) Called my Roadside Assistance company. After 2 1/2 hours they still could not find anyone. Wife and I started making calls. She found someone to come and change out flat tire (we had a good spare) after 15 minutes of calling. They were there in 25 minutes and changed out tire in about 1/2 hour. Just as we hooked up and ready to go got a text from Roadside Assistance company that someone would be there in 2 hours. That would have been in 5 1/2 hours after call was made. So my question is who do you use and what has been your experience with them? (My vendor was Good Sam.)
AAA RV PLUS provided me with the "Same Great NON-service" outside of Indianapolis so they got dropped immediately.

When we had Coach Net through FMCA they were right on time.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #3

I would have just changed the flat myself and been on my way?
Old 05-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
AAA RV PLUS provided me with the "Same Great NON-service" outside of Indianapolis so they got dropped immediately.

When we had Coach Net through FMCA they were right on time.
I have had AAA RV Plus for the past 20 years, but I never had to use it. I always had good service and response times from AAA for my personal vehicles.

My neighbor has Good Sam Club. He had a tire blow out on the NYS Thruway near Utica. He called Good Sam Club but they were a no show. Another towing company was able to change the tire for him but it was very expensive.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

I needed assistance from AAA several years ago and they sent “Billie Bob” out and he ended up snapping off the parking Pall off the transmission and AAA wouldn’t back me up and it cost me several hundred dollars to repair.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I needed assistance from AAA several years ago and they sent “Billie Bob” out and he ended up snapping off the parking Pall off the transmission and AAA wouldn’t back me up and it cost me several hundred dollars to repair.

"HEY! You gotta problem wit' me? My name is Billie Bob!!!"

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #7

We just use the Lynx blocks and change it ourselves. Know that it is done right. Now if I had a Class A, that would be another story.

Previous Campers:
2006 Outback 27RSDS
2004 Fleetwood Westlake Pop-Up
D1Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

"HEY! You gotta problem wit' me? My name is Billie Bob!!!"
THAT’s HIM !!!, I’d remember that face anywhere.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
X2, Terrible service. The twin cities has a lot of service vehicles. Not like we have had any blizzards or anything lately.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #10

Road side assistance for a flat tire on a trailer? Umm, not a chance, I change it myself. I carry a Dewalt 20V 1/2” impact and impact sockets.

DEWALT 20V MAX Impact Wrench Kit, High Torque, Detent Pin Anvil, 1/2-Inch (DCF889M2)
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099S9ZXW...15ZQC0HYD8TYTV
Old 06-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #11

Just a word of warning. Coach Net set a tow driver out who did over $8,000 of damage to my Redhawk. The towing coming (S&D) said they would pay for the damage and CoachNet said they would facilitate making sure that happened. Had photos, texts from technician admitting fault, phone records between S&D and CoachNet, etc. and neither paid. I had to file it on my insurance and pay the $1,000 deductible which Progressive said they would get back from the at-fault party but they weren't able to - not sure how hard they tried though. I'm actually on here looking for recommendations because CoachNet is a big no for me and I had my first call to AAA and they were useless - a big waste of time and lots of aggravation. I had to pay myself to get service 2 days later.
Sunshine14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #12

I just had a horrible experience with AAA as well. I've had a good luck with them on autos but this was first time with an RV. THREE days later and still no technician and/or techs would come out without the equipment for an RV and just waste my time! So aggravating and Coachnet is horrible. Did $8,000 damage to my RV 4 years ago and said they would pay for it, but never did. I'm not sure there is any reliable company!
Old 06-15-2021, 07:45 AM   #13

Some of us are not physically able to change the tire. I couldn't even lift the new one I purchased out of the back of my SUV after Discount Tire put it in there.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I have had AAA RV Plus for the past 20 years, but I never had to use it. I always had good service and response times from AAA for my personal vehicles.

My neighbor has Good Sam Club. He had a tire blow out on the NYS Thruway near Utica. He called Good Sam Club but they were a no show. Another towing company was able to change the tire for him but it was very expensive.
I had a blowout on my boat trailer on the NYS Thruway. I called their 800 number and someone was out within about 45 minutes. He changed the tire and I was on my way for around $100 which I thought was reasonable. I don't carry any roadside insurance anymore--too expensive and unreliable; I'd rather pay as I go.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #15

Change the tire myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post

My last motorhome tire and wheel was in excess of 100#, my new Hummingbird tire and wheel is quite manageable. All depends on what you're driving or pulling.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #16

We have Good Sam and have called twice in the last ten years. Response time and service was very good. Once for being stuck in a slippery/muddy campsite in Lexington near I75, and once for a tire blow out on the trailer in Northern Florida on I75. For the blow out we were able to exit an off ramp seconds after the tire blew and pull into a parking lot for tire change.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
I usually contact a nearby tire place if I cannot change my own tire for some reason. I often ask them about a replacement tire at the same time if the tire is damaged. I a replacment is needed I usually buy two tires and put the used tire from the other side of the axle as a spare. If you have some discount places nearby you can often get a great price with a little dickering. My original tires were Class C and we had a number of issues. Move to class D. On last set of four we move to class E tires. Much better handling and the cost was a mere $11 (nine) dollars extra for the set of Class E vs. Class D tire. No brainer and better handling.
God Bless.
roisenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #18

We've had AAA for decades and add the Plus when we use the trailer. Only trailer service experience proved to be excellent. Ninety miles east of Sioux Falls a 1760# spring broke on I-90. Called AAA and in less than 30 minutes had flat bed from Borntrager Auto Body and Towing there. Nice service tech said he could tow it to his shop in Trimont and replace the springs. Wonderful long story short, in five hours we were back on the road with new heavier duty 2400" springs on both sides at an unbelievably low price. We were in the right place at the right time in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota. This was an American experience in rural America and we often remember Borntrager,s with a great deal of fondness, thanks and appreciation for their helpfulness and fairness.

On the other hand, AAA low-balled us badly when they totaled our Tahoe for hail damage; they would give us less than 2/3ths the cost of an equal vehicle so we kept it. Strangely, they totaled the trailer as well because of some broken glass and especially because of a couple small holes in the roof fabric that were easily eternabonded. The pay-out for the trailer was great; it almost amounted to what we had paid for the trailer - and my wife got a nice Forester with the rest of the settlement, so in the end I guess it worked out.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #19

Quote:
As to any roadside service: I no longer carry any roadside service on my towables. Expensive, unreliable, slow, and some unexpected exceptions to service. I to carry basic roadside on my tow vehicle--through normal insurance for gas or serious flat. God Bless.
roisenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #20

Good Sam Road Assistance

I dropped GS after two years. They left me stranded on the interstate for five hours claiming they tried to contact at least 25 repair shops.

I bandaged the issue, limped into town and bought the parts, and repaired it myself.
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote