Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
CAG

HAM Radio Call Sign

I am sure some may know this but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Those who add their HAM call sign to their signature or use it it other public locations risk their personal information being plastered over the Web. There are various methods to access your home address and other information with the FCC. That is all public information not to mention what the ARRL puts out along with various Web sites for HAMS that have "look up abilities".

Now, I know it is pretty hard to stay invisible in this day and age but no use giving it out like business cards.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #2

After one of the credit agencies was hit by hackers, I said enough is enough and froze my credit. That's about the only way you can protect yourself these days for the important stuff. If someone wants to find your public records, they will find. I've had my ham call on my plates in the past and will probably do so in the future as that information has been out in public for years in one form or another thru the volunteer work we've done, people we've met etc.
2021 Ford F350
Nothing beats a day outside camping!
EBCTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
CAG

I froze credit reports years ago. We recently refinanced the home loan for a better rate and it is pretty easy to open it in the credit agencies for a couple of days and it automatically closes again.

Some don't mind their info out there. Some do. For those that do, closing loop holes, like your call, which has you phone number, address etc on it is one of the steps. If you own a home your information is out there for public view but there are ways to close some of those routes also.

When I was on the job (LEO) I wanted as little info out there as possible. Harassing phone calls, hate mail etc was not something I wanted or wanted my family to have to deal with.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I froze credit reports years ago. We recently refinanced the home loan for a better rate and it is pretty easy to open it in the credit agencies for a couple of days and it automatically closes again.

Some don't mind their info out there. Some do. For those that do, closing loop holes, like your call, which has you phone number, address etc on it is one of the steps. If you own a home your information is out there for public view but there are ways to close some of those routes also.

When I was on the job (LEO) I wanted as little info out there as possible. Harassing phone calls, hate mail etc was not something I wanted or wanted my family to have to deal with.
Pretty much how I handled my personal info during my LEO days. I did have the "N" number of the aircraft I used to own as the reg number on one of my vehicles. That (along with any vanity plate) is a bad idea when looking to up your personal security game.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
RPR

Nothing is totally secure anymore. We can just do what we can to make ourselves fell more secure.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #6

Thanks, hadn't thought of that one. They probably can access my CERT info also. My SS# has been stolen twice so all of our credit and SS information is now frozen.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote