Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Heat pumps worth the cost?

We recently bought a used 2020 Precept 31UL. The specs say it comes with a 15K A/C w/heat pump & a 13.5K A/C. For some reason ours only has 2 A/C units and our inspection missed this. I've been quoted $1300 to replace the working 15k AC unit with a new 15K A/C w/heat pump.

The propane furnace works fine. We have no plans to RV in snow but spring and fall RV'ing is certainly in the plans. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the cost to upgrade?

Any idea if I could sell the used AC unit?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences
hartlenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
We recently bought a used 2020 Precept 31UL. The specs say it comes with a 15K A/C w/heat pump & a 13.5K A/C. For some reason ours only has 2 A/C units and our inspection missed this. I've been quoted $1300 to replace the working 15k AC unit with a new 15K A/C w/heat pump.

The propane furnace works fine. We have no plans to RV in snow but spring and fall RV'ing is certainly in the plans. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the cost to upgrade?

Does your main thermostat have both gas and elect heat?

Personally I would look into adding heat strips to both units, the cost would be a lot lower, probably around 500. It may take a little creative thermostat wiring if the extra wire is not already there.

With the current demand for a/c units you should be able to sell the old one.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Personally I would look into adding heat strips to both units, the cost would be a lot lower, probably around 500. It may take a little creative thermostat wiring if the extra wire is not already there.

Main thermostat does have setting for both Gas and Elec heat.

I'll search on heat strips to see what they are...

Thanks
Old 01-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Main thermostat does have setting for both Gas and Elec heat.
Then it should have a HEAT PUMP. Are you sure it doesn't and it's just not working. That was the standard for 2019 too, or did the original owner swap it out?
Old 01-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
CAG

If you find out that you have the heat pump great. If not I doubt that it is going to make a big difference depending upon where you are going to camp. We have a heat pump and seldom use it. It, like the air conditioner (because that is what it is running backwards is loud and annoying. When we need heat in spring or fall, as we are in AZ also, we use ceramic heaters and the furnace if it gets cold enough for major heat.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

Quote:

adding heat strips would intail adding electric wiring to carry the extra load on both units. Also more t-stat wirng and new t-states. leave it as it is.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:

Your inspection did not miss a thing. You have 2 AC units. The 15K has a reversing valve the reverses the gas flow. It uses the AC compressor to provide heat down to 40 degrees outside temp. After that, it can not provide heat any longer.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
adding heat strips would intail adding electric wiring to carry the extra load on both units. Also more t-stat wirng and new t-states. leave it as it is.
NO IT DOESN"T....Many heat pumps come with the heat strip standard and the control box already has the plug for the heat strip if it's not there. I had 5 rigs with heat strips including my 08 and 2015 with the heat pump. His main stat already has the wiring for the elec heat function.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Then it should have a HEAT PUMP. Are you sure it doesn't and it's just not working. That was the standard for 2019 too, or did the original owner swap it out?
We bought used so not sure but I brought it into the dealer I bought it from (assumed reputable) because I wasn't getting any heat from Heat Elec setting. They said the AC unit must have been swapped as only one of the units model# & ser# matched the component list from the original buyer.
I'll go up and verify models and ser# later this week.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
They said the AC unit must have been swapped as only one of the units model# & ser# matched the component list from the original buyer.
I'll go up and verify models and ser# later this week.
What was the outside temp? The don't produce heat below 40 unlike a home unit and then it's warm not hot.

That sounds like the original owner, or dealer, swapped it out and if that is the case the $64,000 question would be why though? If it failed JAYCO would have covered it under warranty with a new HP unit. Did the dealer sell it new originally?

You would still have the thermostat wiring in place for adding either a new heat-pump or the heat strip. If you go with the heat strip it will probably require a new control box. The new box and strip are available for under $200 from various sources on-line.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #11

Interesting thread. Our 2020 31UL (bought new) has the forward heat pump and rear A/C. However, when selecting electric heat on the 'stat, if temperature is low, the furnace kicks in automatically. Is that standard operating procedure?

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Interesting thread. Our 2020 31UL (bought new) has the forward heat pump and rear A/C. However, when selecting electric heat on the 'stat, if temperature is low, the furnace kicks in automatically. Is that standard operating procedure?
Mickey
If the inside temp is 5 or more degrees lower than the temp you set the heat to the furnace comes on with the heat-pump. After the temp gets above that 5 degree offset the furnace should shut off and then only the HP should be cycling.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #13

Thanks! (And apologies - didn't mean to hijack the thread.)
Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #14

I would also add this to your thoughts, unless you are living in your RV fulltime and\or using metered electricity that you directly pay for, you are not going to save any $$$ upgrading to a heat pump (vs using a regular electric heater) as most (if not all) the campgrounds you may stay in, do not charge you any more or less based on the type of heating you are using. ~CA
Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #15

We use the heat pump instead of the furnace 98% of the time. If you're getting power from the CG, why pay for the cost of propane...........doesn't make sense.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
The 15K has a reversing valve the reverses the gas flow. It uses the AC compressor to provide heat down to 40 degrees outside temp. After that, it can not provide heat any longer.
The Coolcat Heat pump that came with our Jayco Skylark provides heat down to 30 degrees. The air comes out warm and it keeps our trailer comfortable when it is cool outside. Our thermostat is a Dometic and it came with the heat pump option. You can set it for +/- 1 degree of the setting or two. It save money at campsites that have electric. Our only use for propane is for cooking.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #17

I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I confirmed that the previous owner must have replaced the original AC unit. I have two Mach 3 13500 BTU A/Cs (no heat pumps). For now we're going to bring a ceramic heater (recognizing that it's load will be shared with all the other plugs) and see how often we need heat before deciding whether or not to put a new A/C+HP unit in. Thanks again for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:20 AM   #18

To prevent popping breakers in your rig you should bring along an extension cord and run it out of the RV thru a slide out seal then plug into the power pedestal provided, of course, the pedestal has the correct receptacle for your extension cord.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
To prevent popping breakers in your rig you should bring along an extension cord and run it out of the RV thru a slide out seal then plug into the power pedestal provided, of course, the pedestal has the correct receptacle for your extension cord.
Good idea. Wouldn’t have thought of that.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in. I confirmed that the previous owner must have replaced the original AC unit.
I realize it has been replaced, but why would the original owner do that?

If it quit it would have been under warranty. Wonder if the original servicing dealer pulled a fast one? Only other reason would have been they couldn't get the HP replacement due to COVID shortages.