Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 AM   #1

Home RV Hookup

Anyone have RV hookup installed at home? If so, does plugin need to be close to the service box? Most logical parking for us is on opposite side of the house from our service panel which is inside our garage. Also our MH is 50 amp. Do you recommend 50 amp hookup at home or 30 amp okay? Thinking we mght be using MH as guest house part time.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

I installed a 30amp RV outlet in my detached storage shed (boat/mowers/etc) and the 30 amp TT is parked 20' away. I use a 30 amp extension cord when needed, and could use the TT if needed in an emergency/house damage, etc. I don't have sewer hook ups, but could pull the TT around to the back of the house and dump into the septic tank if needed as I have a clean out connection.

If you don't have 50 amp service, can't use both AC's, and will have to monitor the power usage to avoid tripping breakers/circuits.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #3

I would install 50 amp, water , & even sewer. Also might add some lighting on that end of your house. I hate it when I do a project and a year later ask myself " why didn't I do that " .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
I would install 50 amp, water , & even sewer. Also might add some lighting on that end of your house. I hate it when I do a project and a year later ask myself " why didn't I do that " .
Amen!! I've often asked myself that.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

As was mentioned if your panel can handle it I would go with 50. With that said I ran our 50 amp rigs off of a 30 amp connection for over 8 years since we never ran both air while in the driveway. When I first installed it, in the 90's, our FW only had 30 amp service.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

We have our TT plugged in. It would be very expensive to run water service and another septic line. We are on a well.

The TT is some 300 feet from the house. However there is service to a Barn 100 feet from the TT and it was just a matter of running a conduit through tht woods to an outdoor box.

We have had no issues with battery life even at below zero and we can plug electronic mouse repellers in the trailer so we have had no mouse issues either.

Mice seem to prefer the warm house.. sigh.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

It really depends on what you want, and how you want to use the rig when at home. If you want to use both AC units then 50 amps will be required. But if you just want to keep the batteries charged up and healthy you can get by with as little as a 15 amp outlet. A 30 amp outlet will be a nice compromise.

I am in the slow process of installing a full 20/30/50 amp RV panel outside my garage, right behind where I park my TT. I would like to use our TT, as a "guest house" for my kid when he gets kicked out his bedroom when the grandparents come, so I would like him to be able to run the AC. Today, I do not need a 50 amps outlet, but planning on the future RV. I am doing the work, This garage has never had any power. I have a 100' wire pull, so it will cost me a few extra dollars to bring 100 amps to the garage, verses 50 amps. If I was paying someone to do the work, the cost would be the labor to install the conduit. Nice part is, I will never run out of power, and I will not need to run any extension cords.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

As full timers (10yrs) we visit at our sons many times. Sometimes staying 1-2 months at a time. Not knowing about your neighborhood, I ran a 150ft 5/8" garden hose outback to his compost area as a continuous grey water drain, and use a portable macerator (100ft 3/4" discharge garden hose) to his blow out connection to dump the black tank. If you limit your available power you will restrict the summer days. Inside RVs temps run 10-15 degrees hotter than the outside temps.

Measuring the footage distance for all sources is vital. You could get away with an extension for the 50 amp service, and who knows someday you might need the extension at a campground (I have). Some years ago I made a 200ft 6/3 UF wire extension with RV connectors but I don't remember what the cost was 20yrs ago. Wire is much more expensive now.

Garden hoses 5/8-3/4" for grey and black - Wal-Mart $75.00
Cap drain with 90 elbow for garden hose $20
Portable Macerator - Amazon $200
50amp Extension - Amazon $200

Staying with family - Priceless

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
Anyone have RV hookup installed at home? If so, does plugin need to be close to the service box? Most logical parking for us is on opposite side of the house from our service panel which is inside our garage. Also our MH is 50 amp. Do you recommend 50 amp hookup at home or 30 amp okay? Thinking we mght be using MH as guest house part time.
You can put the RV plug as far away as you want to, but need the right gauge wire for the distance you're running it. There are charts online that show what the line loss will be, for different lengths and gauges of wire, or you can ask your local friendly electrician. I ran a 220 volt line to my garage, and used aluminum wire of a larger gauge. The very knowledgeable folks at the store calculated the size wire I needed from the length I was going. I spent about $75 versus $400 for copper wire. Check your local codes first, to make sure you can use aluminum wire for your project.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It really depends on what you want, and how you want to use the rig when at home. If you want to use both AC units then 50 amps will be required. But if you just want to keep the batteries charged up and healthy you can get by with as little as a 15 amp outlet. A 30 amp outlet will be a nice compromise.
Just coming to post that. Without knowing exactly what the OP wants to run in the rig, specifying what power to run is speculation. Depending on the electrical load will depend on what amp line to run.

Will the OP be running A/C, electric water heater, electric heat, microwave or other high load appliances in the "guest house". Or, will it be just a quick overnight place to stay?

I can run the A/C in my rig off of a 12 gauge extension cord on a 115 volt circuit, when trying to cool it down before leaving on a trip. But I wouldn't run any other high loads (except for the fridge) at the same time.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I can run the A/C in my rig off of a 12 gauge extension cord on a 115 volt circuit, when trying to cool it down before leaving on a trip. But I wouldn't run any other high loads (except for the fridge) at the same time.
I too can run my AC off an extension cord, however, I found my plug gets warm when doing this off a 20 amp circuit. So I only run my AC for short periods of time while at home.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I too can run my AC off an extension cord, however, I found my plug gets warm when doing this off a 20 amp circuit. So I only run my AC for short periods of time while at home.
I had the warm plug issue when I was running it off of either a 14 gauge or 16 gauge extension (don't remember which it was), but once I switched to the heavier cord, it wasn't a issue, and only got slightly warm.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #13
Site Team

I had a 20/30/50 Amp outdoor electric box and water outlet installed on the wall of our house when it was built. The run from the indoor breaker panel is approximately 64 feet, the length of the house. I have a sewer line where the TT is parked or I can use the sewer vent that's near the house. Pictures Below.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #14

We had a 50amp plug installed on our deck so we could plug it up in the driveway. Loading up in the summer w/o AC sucked.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #15

Home hookup

I have a dedicated 30 amp RV plug at my house. I decided I only need to keep 1 a/c running. I had an electrical contractor design and run my line. My RV is on the opposite side of the house from my panel.
LeonDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

I installed 50A just in case someone with a motorhome came to visit then they could hook up. The 30A would still be available with a 50 to 30 adaptor. Not sure about the length but I think up to fifty feet should be OK. Any further then the cable becomes resistance. An electrician may be able to answer that question.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
You can put the new outlet anywhere you want. Just remember that your rv runs on 50 amps of 120w not 50 amp of 240w. If you put in a 240w outlet you will burn your converter up. There is a difference. It's not the same as a dryer plug. Just make sure you run the right gage of wire and you use the right plug and hook it up as 120w.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
You can put the new outlet anywhere you want. Just remember that your rv runs on 50 amps of 120w not 50 amp of 240w. If you put in a 240w outlet you will burn your converter up. There is a difference. It's not the same as a dryer plug. Just make sure you run the right gage of wire and you use the right plug and hook it up as 120w.

WOW!!!!! This is WRONG!!! I'm a licensed electrician in the state of Washington and have been in the trade 36 years and this statement is completely wrong. A 50amp RV service is a 120/240v with a neutral and ground. The converters input is one leg of the 240 circuit. I'll post schematics later when I get home from work.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #19

Old 11-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #20