Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

Honda issues

Buy a Honda they say!! You won't have problems with a Honda they say!!!! Well I did and problems I have and can't get any help from Honda and where I bought it!!!! I purchased a Honda eu3000is from Camping world about a month ago and have been using it to run my Jayco 24RBS while at my daughter's travel softball tournaments. Well this past weekend it started acting up. It will only run for about 5 minutes in eco mode before going into protection mode.It has been running my air,fridge,lights and t.v just fine in eco mode but now it won't even run the a/c in eco mode without overloading..Honda told me to contact Camping World and Camping world told me to contact Honda. Neither one will help me out.
Jamyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #2

What is CW return policy?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

Probably once it has fuel in it, it's a manufacturer issue, not eligible for exchange.
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

Have you checked the oil? Normally they'll cut off if low but it worth checking.
I've never run that much stuff at once in econo mode. Sure it does it but as soon as the a/c is needed I turned that off. Mines 8 yrs old over 2300 hrs an doesn't miss a beat
Old 07-21-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Have you checked the oil? Normally they'll cut off if low but it worth checking.
I've never run that much stuff at once in econo mode. Sure it does it but as soon as the a/c is needed I turned that off. Mines 8 yrs old over 2300 hrs an doesn't miss a beat
This is where I'd start. Low oil cutoff switch could be the problem.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #6

All Honda Generators have a 24-36 month standard warranty and you can purchase an extended warranty if you want. I can’t imagine a scenario where your stuck with a faulty generator. Sounds like Camping World is just being their normal selves trying to kick the can down the road instead of helping you out. Either way Honda will honor the warranty, it’s just a matter of who steps up to help.

Do yourself a favor and check the oil level and air filter cleanliness before throwing a fit to them. If that checks out then you have a case for repair replacement.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

May not be your problem but they have a low speed jet that can be a problem at times. Mine would hunt around for idle in eco mode and often idle to low to recover when a load was introduced. Everything worked great in normal mode. Clean the jet and solved the problem.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Honda - The generator to rule them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamyb01 View Post
Buy a Honda they say!! You won't have problems with a Honda they say!!!! Well I did and problems I have and can't get any help from Honda and where I bought it!!!! I purchased a Honda eu3000is from Camping world about a month ago and have been using it to run my Jayco 24RBS while at my daughter's travel softball tournaments. Well this past weekend it started acting up. It will only run for about 5 minutes in eco mode before going into protection mode.It has been running my air,fridge,lights and t.v just fine in eco mode but now it won't even run the a/c in eco mode without overloading..Honda told me to contact Camping World and Camping world told me to contact Honda. Neither one will help me out.
Honda is THE #1 generator on the market for a reason. Give it a chance, treat it right and it'll last you a long, long time.

Sounds like you may be overloading the generator. It doesn't take much to use up 3K watts of power.

Suggestions:
* Check oil level. Don't overfill
* Make sure air filter is clean.
* Change oil after 25 hours of use.
* Check voltage requirements of everything used with generator.
* Look into 3rd party AC solution like MicroAir soft start.
* Try running the generator with ECO mode OFF. It's supposed to be off when you start it anyhow.
* Make sure your fuel is fresh. Old fuel = possible water contamination or stale.

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

Yeah the oil level is good
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #10

Sounds like bad gas.SeaFoam is a good friend.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
Honda is THE #1 generator on the market for a reason. Give it a chance, treat it right and it'll last you a long, long time.

Sounds like you may be overloading the generator. It doesn't take much to use up 3K watts of power.

Suggestions:
* Check oil level. Don't overfill
* Make sure air filter is clean.
* Change oil after 25 hours of use.
* Check voltage requirements of everything used with generator.
* Look into 3rd party AC solution like MicroAir soft start.
* Try running the generator with ECO mode OFF. It's supposed to be off when you start it anyhow.
* Make sure your fuel is fresh. Old fuel = possible water contamination or stale.

Good Luck
Oil level is good. I changed it after a 10 hr run and again at 50.
Air filter is clean
Always run fresh non ethanol gas with stabil.
What has me puzzled is that it has run flawless for 3 weekends on eco with A/c fridge, lights and T.v but now it won't with only the A/c on. I've got a hard start capacitor ordered to see if that will help. I figure that would be a cheap way to see if the A/c by chance is starting harder than normal.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #12

What elevation and what does the spark look like?
Old 07-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

I had similar issues with my Predator 3500, idled fine but put a load on it and it immediately went into overload. I cleaned the spark arrester and what do you know, it worked perfectly! The Predator ran extremely rich especially at this elevation, it would actually have black hazy exhaust. I’m guessing this is what plugged the spark arrester and caused the overload issue.

To address the fuel air mixture issue, I changed the carb jet from a 78 to a 60, it runs significantly smoother, no black haze and the fuel efficiency i.e run time is better too! I camped at 10,217’ over the July 4th weekend, the difference in how the generator runs is literally night and day.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
What elevation and what does the spark look like?
I'm in North West Florida. Haven't checked the spark yet. I will check that out tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamyb01 View Post
I'm in North West Florida. Haven't checked the spark yet. I will check that out tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Colorado, above you was headed where I was. Elevation would make it worse, which is obviously NOT part of your issue, but to me it sounds like fouled spark is possible. Other than that improper choke use is my next guess.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #16

Thanks for the info guys... I'm still mad that I payed $2100 a month ago and can't get any help from honda or Camping World
Old 07-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
All Honda Generators have a 24-36 month standard warranty and you can purchase an extended warranty if you want. I can’t imagine a scenario where your stuck with a faulty generator. Sounds like Camping World is just being their normal selves trying to kick the can down the road instead of helping you out. Either way Honda will honor the warranty, it’s just a matter of who steps up to help.

Do yourself a favor and check the oil level and air filter cleanliness before throwing a fit to them. If that checks out then you have a case for repair replacement.
I've bought things before where the paper work that came with the item clearly stated do not return to store of purchase. I'd imagine Honda is probably like that.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #18

From the CW website: "Returns on some items including Generators, Software, Clearance items and Special/Custom Order items will not be accepted."

I would not buy a generator there.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:37 AM   #19

Honda issues

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...pwl50623-x.pdf

Searched internet and in less than a minute found this... this gives a number and address at Honda to call if an authorized Honda Power Equipment dealer doesn’t satisfy your warranty need. Also has a link to find authorized Honda Power Equipment dealers.

Make sure CW is an authorized dealer, I would guess they are. If so show them this. If still no help I’d call the number listed for Honda again...

Good luck
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #20

Does it run off eco-mode ? or with nothing plug in?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote