Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #21

Battery power to run Microwave for 15 minutes?

While travelling, I want the option of using a microwave for cooking or re-heating meals at rest stops. If, for some reason, we are not able to get a hook up for a one night lay over, I would like the option to run the microwave for that limited period of time and a satellite TV for a few hours.

I know I need a 3000w invertor. Would I need two or three 100w AGM batteries?
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #22
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Would I need two or three 100w AGM batteries?
Do you have space in your rig for them? I know in my rig, all I have space for is two Group 24 batteries in the steps, without doing a major battery tray and wiring upgrade in a different compartment.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #23

Would appreciate that!
Ozsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Do you have space in your rig for them? I know in my rig, all I have space for is two Group 24 batteries in the steps, without doing a major battery tray and wiring upgrade in a different compartment.
My rig, a 22J, has 1 battery in a compartment next to the steps. It does have room for more in the storage area under the bed and (possibly) under the seats in the dining area (haven't measured this yet). Both areas are in close proximity to where the inverter is located. I would use SLA's for interior use.

My interest was in the calculations to determine if it was even feasible to run the microwave. The logistics would come later. If it isn't feasible, I could always park in the truck section of the rest areas and run my generator which would be quieter that the those in the semis!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
My interest was in the calculations to determine if it was even feasible to run the microwave. The logistics would come later. If it isn't feasible, I could always park in the truck section of the rest areas and run my generator which would be quieter that the those in the semis!
Running the micro for a short time shouldn't be an issue, since they are short term uses. So, two 100 a/h batteries and a 2000 watt inverter would be OK, since you can safely pull 50% from the batteries.

But, depending on how long you're parking, you're also pulling amps to run your lights, fridge, heat, water pump, fans, water heater, TV/Satellite, phone charging, etc. So, you'd want to calculate all your current draws on the batteries.

Also, the Redhawks charge the coach batteries when the engine is running. I don't know what type of output/charge they get (that's on my test list to do), but running the engine instead of the genny might be a quieter option to keep some charge in the batteries.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #26

Thanks for the tips, RetiredOne!
Old 03-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, RetiredOne!
I'm running through all these calculations now too. Up to now, we haven't boondocked yet and have always had hookups, but our first trip in the Spring has no hookups, so I'm also trying to figure out what size inverter I have to install, and do testing to see how my existing batteries will hold up with all the loads.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I'm running through all these calculations now too. Up to now, we haven't boondocked yet and have always had hookups, but our first trip in the Spring has no hookups, so I'm also trying to figure out what size inverter I have to install, and do testing to see how my existing batteries will hold up with all the loads.
Please let me know how it goes!
Old 03-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #29

Batteries

Quote:
My rig, a 22J, has 1 battery in a compartment next to the steps. It does have room for more in the storage area under the bed and (possibly) under the seats in the dining area (haven't measured this yet). Both areas are in close proximity to where the inverter is located. I would use SLA's for interior use.

Okay I started with 4 100 amp 12 v gel batteries. It wasn’t enough. I just went to 6 now. I will let you know. We have run the microwave but it was drawing 124 amps so it can be done but it really draws juice. Not bad during sunshine but at night a huge draw that can not be replenished without a gen.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNMA1 View Post
Okay I started with 4 100 amp 12 v gel batteries. It wasn’t enough. I just went to 6 now. I will let you know. We have run the microwave but it was drawing 124 amps so it can be done but it really draws juice. Not bad during sunshine but at night a huge draw that can not be replenished without a gen.
Wow! How long did you run the microwave for? There must be something wrong with my calculations...64.5 amps for 15 minutes. I have ordered an amp meter to monitor my 120V equipment, just for fun.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Wow! How long did you run the microwave for? There must be something wrong with my calculations...64.5 amps for 15 minutes. I have ordered an amp meter to monitor my 120V equipment, just for fun.
Not long at all. Heated some food up for the pups. I have an amp meter/inverter/charger monitor. I have turned one item on at a time just to watch the draw.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #32

[QUOTE=Nathan S.;831230]First off your batteries are the key to boondocking. It’s not a matter of either batteries or solar. It’s a matter of solar or generator. Get as much amp hours in your battery bank as possible. Get AGM’s or Lithium if you can afford them. Realize that the AGM’s you can only discharge to 50%, lithium down to about 20%. Your running your trailer off of the batteries. The solar just recharges them. You will also need an inverter to run any AC appliances you want like a coffee maker. You will never be able to run your Air Cond. with out being plugged in or on a generator, same with microwave. So that might help with your decision.

We love our solar, but we never boondock if we know we are going to need air conditioning. Otherwise it’s great, it’s quiet, no need to haul a generator or gas. I have 4 6V batteries, 455w of solar panels and a 1800w inverter and have yet to buy a generator.[/QUOT

Not sure if you helped Nathan, but you sure helped me make my decision. If I can't run my AC or my Microwave on solar, then I don't need it. We have been doing just great with our generator, and plan to keep doing it.
Thanks for the very informative thread.

!SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #33

Quote:

Jayco, in their wisdom and disdain of boondocking, made a spot for 1 Group 27 in ours. I've been ka-thinking and ka-thunking of how to add extras.

So far, the leading thought is a beefy metal bracket that I can hook/attach to the frame underneath. Plunk the batteries in battery boxes and then seal them up. Let them essentially hang from the frame rail.

Wiring's going to be suboptimal but it looks like Jayco left me few options.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Jayco, in their wisdom and disdain of boondocking, made a spot for 1 Group 27 in ours. I've been ka-thinking and ka-thunking of how to add extras.

So far, the leading thought is a beefy metal bracket that I can hook/attach to the frame underneath. Plunk the batteries in battery boxes and then seal them up. Let them essentially hang from the frame rail.

Wiring's going to be suboptimal but it looks like Jayco left me few options.

Oh yeah - don't forget the weight we're adding if we go lead acid.
75-80 pounds per battery.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #35

[QUOTE=1SGPETE;837089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
First off your batteries are the key to boondocking. It’s not a matter of either batteries or solar. It’s a matter of solar or generator. Get as much amp hours in your battery bank as possible. Get AGM’s or Lithium if you can afford them. Realize that the AGM’s you can only discharge to 50%, lithium down to about 20%. Your running your trailer off of the batteries. The solar just recharges them. You will also need an inverter to run any AC appliances you want like a coffee maker. You will never be able to run your Air Cond. with out being plugged in or on a generator, same with microwave. So that might help with your decision.

We love our solar, but we never boondock if we know we are going to need air conditioning. Otherwise it’s great, it’s quiet, no need to haul a generator or gas. I have 4 6V batteries, 455w of solar panels and a 1800w inverter and have yet to buy a generator.[/QUOT

Not sure if you helped Nathan, but you sure helped me make my decision. If I can't run my AC or my Microwave on solar, then I don't need it. We have been doing just great with our generator, and plan to keep doing it.
Thanks for the very informative thread.

!SG Pete
Put a solar panel and controller on your rig for battery maintenance in storage, It’s well worth the few hundred dollars. Then don’t bother with the inverter and just be a generator guy after that.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #36

I’ve never camped at a place with hookups. Sometimes I use a generator to run something I want to use. I used to also use the generator to recharge my batteries before I got solar panels to keep the batteries charged up. I’ve got two 6v batteries and I’m trying to figure out how I can add more batteries so I can also add an inverter and use the generator less.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #37

Solar

[QUOTE=Nathan S.;837115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post

Put a solar panel and controller on your rig for battery maintenance in storage, It’s well worth the few hundred dollars. Then don’t bother with the inverter and just be a generator guy after that.
We keep ours in the driveway plugged into the house when not in use. I added a breaker and a line with an out door plug last year.
I had an extra battery added last year while out in Quartzite and plan to have another added, just to extend our use while boondocking. I may at some point add a portable solar panel just to keep the batteries topped off , but will probably never add a complete array
We run the generator for an hour or so each morning while camping and about the same each evening to watch a movie with supper. We charge everything that we need at that time. Plus we have a power storage device that will run the fans if needed at night
I really appreciate all the information I have heard on this forum. Much better then listening to some sales man.
Thanks guys

1SG Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #38

I got started with a single 12V 100 watt panel ($90) and a $10 Chinese PWM Controller and some 10G wire from Home Depot.

I set it all up in the Sharage (shop garage) and just fiddled and learned for a few months.

Then I upgraded to a better PWM controller ($40) and put the panel on the RV roof. Learned some more. A few months ago, I upgraded to a 30A MPPT Controller ($130) so I can now add more panels on the RV roof.

I think it's pretty easy and cheap to get started with items that'll help you learn the ins and outs. So far, the only throw-away items for me have be the controllers.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #39

If you dry camp for more than 2 days solar is worth the investment. For 2 days and less having (2) group 24,27, or 31 batteries can keep things powered. However, I wouldn't try it with an electric only refrigerator. Having the solar , will make your batteries last longer, both in power level and over all life span. We've stayed 12 days with our (2) 6-volt GC batteries, 30-amp MPPT controller, and 300 watts of solar suitcases.
Naughtybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:13 PM   #40
CAG

We dry camped almost exclusively with 2-6 volt golf cart batteries and an Onan 5500 genny. We camped for up to 14 days during summer months and 10 to 12 during the dead of winter elk hunting. Solar is pretty much useless in Arizona if you camp because you DO NOT park in the sun in Arizona in the summer, so solar is pretty much worthless. A couple of hours of genny in the morning cooking/microwave and the same in the evening for some TV and microwave kept things charged.

It really does depend upon your need. If you can park in the sun. Solar is wonderful.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote