Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2021, 06:47 PM   #1

Question It's Hard To Believe How Some People Act!!

So my Wife and me are on a bucket list vacation. We checked into out campground 8/29, on 8/30 the campground has a sewer problem at our site. Management was great and let us move to a different site. On 8/31 while we were out site seeing a couple set up camp next to us. I noticed that they have there Jayco trailer in at a odd angle, so I go over and introduce myself and ask how long they were going to stay. They say 3 days longer then we were going to stay, so I ask why they parked the opposite way of every one else and I was told the because they had a 31' trailer, it wouldn't fit the normal way. I say what, if a 31' fits one way it will fit the correct way,the site is square. Then I ask how they expected me to get hooked up and pull out as the tongue of his trailer was almost a foot over on my site, next to my tongue. I was told that if I couldn't get out of there I shouldn't be driving. Then he said if I have a problem call management. So I do and come to find out they are friends with management, but management says we were in the right. So then the guy tries to explain to me how his truck was almost against a building trying to get in the correct way, and I say I understand as we were in that site yesterday, and my truck is bigger than yours. Then he tells me, it takes him over 2 hours to tear down, I say funny I can do it in 20, to 25 min. and my trailer is only 2 feet smaller. Me and My wife are very surprised at how these people acted. I would expect it from a younger/newbie couple, but not seniors.. I must say that we have been on the road 6 weeks and these people are the first and only nasty,selfish, self centered people we have encountered..

Sorry for the rant..
GMCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:19 PM   #2

Sir, the world has gone crazy. This past two weeks, we observed just about every idiot that could pay their way into the campground. When we arrived, the list of rules was handed to us. That's not unusual. What is unusual is that either no one else got that list, or if they did, they were determined to a camper to not comply. Rule: 7 mph. Actual: 20 mph+ Rule: any operator of any vehicle with a motor or an engine must be licensed. Actual: 7 year old children can't be licensed, I don't care what state you are in. We had golf carts zooming through our site at least once a day...while we were sitting out under the awning. We had parents that instructed their children to terrorize a family of ducklings by chasing them, screaming and throwing things at them. My wife couldn't keep quiet at that and did her own brand of terror to the kids. I could go on, but I, like you, keep my rants short. Like I said, the world has gone crazy. After all these years, we are actually talking about doing a seasonal site next year to get away from this new wave of campers.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #3

we stayed at a RV Park near Sacramento last summer.. Our spot was a back-in with a fence parallel on one side and in the back. The spot next to us was a pull through. During the night someone came in with a motor home towing a jeep. They had to pull way forward to get both vehicles in.. The next morning i was out having a cup of coffee, the folks next to us were loading up their jeep for trip to nearby family.. I chatted with the guy, very nice people, then they left on their way. Then it came time for me to pack up and leave. Long story short, i could not get my rig out because his rig was blocking my pull out angle. There was nothing i could do with him extended out on one side the damn fence on the other. I barely had room with him not there,. I got in touch with the manager, he came over and agreed i was stuck. He was able to contact the Motor Home owner and turns out they were in San Francisco two hours away.. After talking with manger and motor home owner, we choose to stay another day, the manager waved the fee. Late morning next day, the motor home owner arrived. I was ready for an argument as i was still ticked off.. This guy was so apologetic he was almost crying. He quickly gets his motor home backed up and came over with a box. He said i hope your and your wife enjoy wine, we want you to have and enjoy this for your troubles. I didn't want to take it, but he pretty much forced in on me. He gave us a 6 bottle case of Pine Ridge Vinyards Wine.. Some of the best wine i've ever had... I tend to get upset pretty easy, I'm glad on this occasion i was abler to bite my lips... Since then, we have meet up with this couple at Lake Almanor and enjoyed more good wine and a really neat happy camper friendship...
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

They are among us. It will get worse.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:04 AM   #5

We were sitting around the pool at Cody KOA.....a family was across the pool and were enjoying some snacks on paper plates...a wind came up and the paper plates became air borne and scattered them around inside and outside the pool.....did they pick them up...H*** NO....I was going to say something but refrained....after they left my wife and I picked up the plates and put them in the trash.....do not need hoggish people like that.
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:29 AM   #6

That's why I'm on a "hi-bye" relationship with our camp neighbors. I never get too friendly. I know that sounds harsh but, I do it for this very reason. I've learned my lesson.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #7

I say it all the time at camp " I have enough friends "

and I am seasonal with a large group but can only put up with so much stupidity
kwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's why I'm on a "hi-bye" relationship with our camp neighbors. I never get too friendly. I know that sounds harsh but, I do it for this very reason. I've learned my lesson.
X2!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

It is for all of these reasons mentioned, and more, that I am considering selling the trailer and buying a boat, some nice coolers and a good tent. You don't find this kind of stupidity in the back country.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
They are among us. It will get worse.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
It is for all of these reasons mentioned, and more, that I am considering selling the trailer and buying a boat, some nice coolers and a good tent. You don't find this kind of stupidity in the back country.

But I always seemed to find them boating on Lake Powell, and especially on the Valley lakes. They don't know what "no wake zone" means, pull up and camp right next to you (especially Californians) with 2000 miles of open shore on the lake, turn up the volume on the radio, stir up the water with their jet skis, and I could go on with this for several more paragraphs.

It does not matter whether they are driving a car, pulling a trailer or piloting a boat rude behavior knows no bounds. It is much worse since so many of them are on paid holiday courtesy of our state and federal unemployment payments.

We spend the summer in the White Mountains, a few miles from the New Mexico line. The RV park is adults only and mostly regulars for the summer. The owners keep a close handle on rules and some have been told to leave for dog violations, noise violations and being problem children. I love that place.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
But I always seemed to find them boating on Lake Powell, and especially on the Valley lakes. They don't know what "no wake zone" means, pull up and camp right next to you (especially Californians) with 2000 miles of open shore on the lake, turn up the volume on the radio, stir up the water with their jet skis, and I could go on with this for several more paragraphs.

It does not matter whether they are driving a car, pulling a trailer or piloting a boat rude behavior knows no bounds. It is much worse since so many of them are on paid holiday courtesy of our state and federal unemployment payments.

We spend the summer in the White Mountains, a few miles from the New Mexico line. The RV park is adults only and mostly regulars for the summer. The owners keep a close handle on rules and some have been told to leave for dog violations, noise violations and being problem children. I love that place.
We do a lot of Summer Ski camping trips and i can tell you, you will run into many more A-Holes and idiots in that crowd then you will ever dream of camping in National and State Parks. Defiantly a younger booze fueled crowd in the boating world.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #13

I have been camping since 1994 with friends and have owned a motorhome since 2004. I am now at the point where I simply can not and will not put up with the inconsiderate population that now takes over the campgrounds.

I think it is time for me to sell my Seneca and move into a cave.
randude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #14

That's why we bought 50 prime acres on a mountaintop and now we camp there. No neighbors. I will not sell my camper and I will not stop camping.

My rifle range is right outside my back door and there always is a loaded rifle within reach. If one of those piggish campers ever stopped by. I have options that campgrounds won't let you do....lol.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #15

Five years, 43,800 miles, ~150 camps never had anything that bad - most people seem considerate. But a hybrid does not block sound and it can get noisy sometimes. I only recall one night in Ohio that was too noisy to sleep and the camp owner blamed my unit, not the 6 tents, 10 cars, 20+ people abusing the group camping area most of the night.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #16

age is irrelevant it’s an I want I don’t care about you world.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #17

Just try to Pay It Forward

I'm a huge believer in Karma...what I put out into the world definitely finds me and reminds me...Can't say when anyone else figures this out, but sometimes being nice in the face of rude can be just the nudge some folks need to shape up. I know- it's not easy when you really just want to yell at folks, but sometimes I find it challenging to see if I can calmly speak to someone and get my desired result. It's not always successful, but it's alright. I haven't had too many rude folks around me, but here and there, they pop up. It's unavoidable if you're going to be out in the world.
Della is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by randude View Post
I have been camping since 1994 with friends and have owned a motorhome since 2004. I am now at the point where I simply can not and will not put up with the inconsiderate population that now takes over the campgrounds.

I think it is time for me to sell my Seneca and move into a cave.
Before you do that, try doing what I do.

Arrive on Mondays, leave on Fridays.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #19
Site Team

We noticed a young couple that were tent camping, cutting through our neighbors site to get to the bathrooms that were near us. The next time they came through, I said "excuse me sir, you must be new to camping, it's really not ok to cut through other folks' sites, only empty unoccupied ones". He said it was their first time camping, they were sorry, and it didn't happen again. They didn't know, and just needed someone to point it out. No harm, no foul.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della View Post
I'm a huge believer in Karma...what I put out into the world definitely finds me and reminds me...Can't say when anyone else figures this out, but sometimes being nice in the face of rude can be just the nudge some folks need to shape up. I know- it's not easy when you really just want to yell at folks, but sometimes I find it challenging to see if I can calmly speak to someone and get my desired result. It's not always successful, but it's alright. I haven't had too many rude folks around me, but here and there, they pop up. It's unavoidable if you're going to be out in the world.
Karma for sure, being nice sometimes makes YOU the stupid one.

Not camping related, but away from home in a motel.

Stayed there 4 nights on business. The last night 3 buses of kids arrived. Two ofreeking clock in the morning they were pounding on doors awakening everyone. A call to the night manager......3 freaking times.....provided no assurance. A personal visit to the kids with calm talk that I had to get up at 5 AM to go to the airport offered no assurance, only laughs because I was an old guy.

After the 3rd call to the manager, a call to 911 saying there was a riot and they had guns made the swat team arrive.

The event still provided no sleep, but the kids had crap to deal with.

The next morning I met with the manager on my way out and I told him that even though the had mt credit card number and i had many room and restaurant charges, if my card was charged with a bill I would dispute it and the hotel would face litigation.

No bill ever came in.

My only problem was that my boss complained because my expense report had no hotel or food charges...

Bottom line is that when you are in the right, don't back down.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote