Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Jayco quality

I have read that many Jayco owners have quality issues. That in my opinion will happen with any major purchase. There may also be problems with service after the sale. That is on the dealer in the service area. Here is a web site I found that says how Jayco stacks up against other RVs in the market. How true it is, I do not know.

Here is what I found:

https://campertrailerreport.com/best-travel-trailers/

There is what I found and would like to hear from you in the Jayco world.

Our Jayco was built in 2015 and is a 2016 year model. Happy camping out there. Again welcome from Oregon to the new people who have joined that I have not welcomed.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #2

Mine is a 2010 and I'm 100% satisfied with it and I'll never sell it but I'll pass it on.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #3

We've had 3 Jaycos purchased new, '93, '03, and '13. Aside from minor fit and finish issues we've been pretty happy with them.

That said the writing in that article has some serious quality issues. One example; In their assembly plant in Indian, . Indian? Seriously?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #4

I guess I don't disagree with their assessment of Jayco. I'm on my fourth Jayco fiver, and overall my experience has been more positive than negative. I have no opinion on the other models having had no experience with them. I agree that someone should have spent a little more time editing the final draft of the article. The errors are somewhat distracting and take away from the content. This is I fear, an experience becoming more and more common in the written word today.

Jim
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

I bought a new 2017 Jayco FW and have had a several problems with it although nothing major. Most of these trailers are cheaply built with flimsy materials and the lack of quality workmanship shows. We just fix the stuff that falls apart and hope that nothing serious fails. I think all the manufacturers have this issue, not just Jayco. Would I buy another Jayco? Maybe but I'd look at others first.
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #6

We are on our 3rd Jayco, the first was bought used, our previous Class C and our current TT were bought new. We had some minor issues with the Class C in regards to poor quality - a carpeting issue and a drawer that had the bottom fall out. We had 2 issues with our current TT. The awning had a couple gaps where it attaches to the side of the wall, which I fixed with dicor and the other is the screen door on the bedroom door has a gap at the bottom. I don't know how to fix that properly and it isn't worth bringing to the dealer (since the wheels are off the ground on cinder blocks on our seasonal site) so I just stacked weather stripping to close the gap.

We have been happy with all of our Jayco's, our first a 12' Pop-up, our second, the 31' Greyhawk Class C and our current 40' Jayflight Bungalow TT. We've never owned any of the other brands on that list, so I can't compare.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #7

We're on our 5th camper, the 3rd and 5th from Jayco. Happy with the build quality and fit/finish.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #8

Duke, thanks for sharing, however I would take this site with a grain, no mountain, of salt. It is rather poorly written and appears to be another creation by someone to “earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com” as it says in its fine print. All that said, after a year with our Jayco (our first TT), we’ve been very happy. Sure, there are a lot of little things that should be better built, but nothing catastrophic. I’d almost always prefer to learn how to fix something and do it myself, and have. For a couple of bigger things, like a blown converter, our dealer has been good and Jayco’s warranty solid. I’d recommend Jayco anytime.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

We have a two zero one seven Jay Feather camper. We are very happy with it and I've only had two small issues which the dealer repaired quickly. One was a bottom of a drawer falling out and the other was a broken wire resulting in a new awning. We expect to get many more years a service from our unit relatively trouble free.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #10

We are on our 4th Jayco product. Yes had some problems but this last trailer we have had more problems with the dealers service. They didn't fix things that were bad and they created more problems than what we told them about. Overall we are very happy with the product and if we ever get another trailer it will be another Jayco.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #11

Thank you all for committing on what I stumbled across on Jayco's rating. I thought it was just kind fun to share. I have had too many adult beverages to make a better comment. I did not get on the puter until late for some, but not so late for others. Enjoy all out there in Jayco land.

We just paid over $700.00 for service to the tow vehicle for a mileage maintenance thing. Our Jayco has never cost us that much on maintenance and upkeep. Keep the comments coming I love to hear (read) how this turns out. CHEERS!!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #12

So far I've been pretty pleased with my J Flight 23RB. Not perfect of course. I've had some issues over the 1.5 years I've had it so far. Some I fixed myself, others have been fixed under warranty.

The worse issue I had fixed while on the road in Idaho this pas summer. The faucet in the bathroom was leaking. I dropped in at Bish's RV in Idaho Falls out of the blue. They were able to find and fix the problem. At the factory, the threads on the faucet had been cross threaded, and were now leaking. They put in another faucet, and I've been leak free since. A minor detail is they only had the bright chrome finished faucet. mine had a "brushed nickel" finish, but a non leaking faucet was better than a leading faucet that matched the rest of the trailer.

I had fixed a leak under the under the bathroom sink shortly after I got the trailer also. This was down where the outside shower connects to the plumbing inside the trailer. A cone washer had been crushed at the factory when attaching the outside shower. I replaced the cone washer and it's been leak free since.

While on the way home from the Rockies and northern plains this past summer, one of the overhead LED lights began to shut off and then come back on. Another overhead LED light had decided it wanted to be a strobe light. Since we were passing through Indiana on the way to Michigan to see our daughter, my wife decided we should stop at the factory in Middlebury to have them fixed, along with the face plate surrounding the micro. It had snapped in in half. Well, again, unannounced I arrived at the factory after 5 pm. A manager happened to still be there. He let me hook up to one of electrical outlets they provide for overnighing RV's waiting for service. 1st thing the next morning, they came out wrote it up, and proceeded to fix the lights and put a new face plate on the micro.

Another issue I've fixed myself is a long self tapping screw backed itself loose. It was causing a raised spot in the linoleum floor. I decided to fix this myself since I didn't want the trailer tied up at the dealer this past fall during football season. I slit the linoleum, finished backing the screw out, put red Loctite on it, and screwed it back in. I then sealed the linoleum back down. Not too bad a job. Fairly hard to notice unless one is actually looking for it. I now have another one to fix, but will wait until the floor is warmer this spring.

I have 4 items that need the dealer to fix. Another LED is going bad. The forward external speaker in the awning arm has never worked. Plus most importantly, the fresh water monitor which shows approximately how much water is left doesn't work at all. It says empty no matter how much water is in the tank. Fill the fresh water tanks full, and it still reads empty. This isn't good. I like to travel with between 1/3 and 2/3 tank of fresh water, depending on how long I will be gone. Right now I have fill the water tanks to know that I will have enough.

It's a fair number of little things but over all, our 23RB has met all of our needs. Plenty of room for the two of us and we don't have to deal with a slide.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #13

This is out third TT. Our first was ax X20E and we did not have any problems with it. We traded it in because after knee replacement, my wife could not sleep on the jackknife sofa and climbing into the bunks was an accident waiting to happen. We moved to a Sunset Trail 250 RB and what a piece of garbage. Nothing but problems. The dealer was just as bad as the factory. On every trip, something would fail. So, DW wanted to look at Jaycos last July. We purchased the Whitehawk and are very well pleased. A couple minor things had to be fixed. The biggest problem was a leaky shower and the dealer repaired the shower base and drain. We have found the build quality to be exceptional and the dealer to be just as good. They go hand in hand.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
Site Team

Typing while under the influence can get one in much trouble!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #15
RPR

Quality

Purchased 2018 Grayhawk 31DS in August. Only problem TV fuzzy. Loose connection behind antenna booster switch and that was it. Couple years ago rented (different manufacturer) new unit traveled from factory to Alaska, three week trip. Shower door fell off, exhaust pipe extension fell off ,had to move striker plate on bathroom door so it would stay shut. But we were prepared and able to make repairs and had a great trip.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #16

Overall we are happy with our 2016 31 ds class c
The Ford part has been fine as have all the non Jayco
components.
A whole list of workmanship issues and some design
problems.
The amish build quality is a myth, see the Film
Devils Playground on YouTube.
It has a part showing Jayco factory and very young
amish kids
Be ready on a new RV to rework some things!!
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 AM   #17

WRT the Amish, I suspect anything they are building for their homes is of very good quality. However, as soon as they step inside a RV manufacturing plant, they become the same kind of worker that is not Amish. They build by the piece, and as quickly as they can, so they can leave and go home.

If X number of trailers are supposed to be finished on a Tuesday, let's say, as soon as X number have been finished, they get to go home, be it at 5 pm or at 1 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
Overall we are happy with our 2016 31 ds class c
The Ford part has been fine as have all the non Jayco
components.
A whole list of workmanship issues and some design
problems.
The amish build quality is a myth, see the Film
Devils Playground on YouTube.
It has a part showing Jayco factory and very young
amish kids
Be ready on a new RV to rework some things!!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #18

I am on my 3rd Jayco in the last 20 years. I started buying them at the time because of their unheard of 2 year warranty. Now you can get lifetime warranty's. I have had only minor problems with my 2014 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. They were resolved after the first couple of trips by the dealer. I take it in for regular maintenance and have had no problems other than a lightning strike which took our my surge protection and everything else. Insurance paid for that. I am a happy camper and will be in Cotton Hill COE in a couple weeks. It will be cold, but that's camping!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

Our 2017 Jayco 27.5 RLTS 5er has been very good to us. With the exception of a piece of loose ceiling trim in the bedroom, It has been fine (knock on wood). So I cannot complain. It came with Rainer tires and am told that they are China bombs. I plan on buying Goodyear tires for it in the spring.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #20

The Goodyear Endurance tire is made in the USA and has had very good ratings in its 2-3yrs on the market. Prior to the Endurance, the Marathon was Goodyear's popular trailer tire choice. It is made overseas and seems to have more mixed reviews. I opted for the Endurance and really like them.