Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #41

I wonder if tow truck operators know when they are towing an ev they have to elevate the drive wheels as some are fwd and others rwd or awd
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #42

In “The Long Way Up”, they were taking electric bikes and pickups from the tip of South America to LA. One of the tricks they used when the Rivan pickups were out of power was to get a local semi to pull them 20 miles or so to put a charge on. Not sure if that feature made it to the production model, or if the Lightning would work the same, but I have wondered what the impact to fuel mileage would be on the coach and if it would be worth it. The idea of having a fully charged EV with you every time you come into camp is interesting.
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #43

A close family friend installed 24 charging bays at their gas station/restaurant business. They are paid for by grants through the government and they earn an annual % of energy pumped. They claim the amount they will earn is enormous. Also their restaurant business has quadrupled since they completed the install 4 months ago. Here in California, these charge stations are free to use, paid for by our tax dollars, yet we whom relay on fossil\ fuels pay out the nose for our fuel.. Our tax dollars are defiantly not being used fairly.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flavius View Post
To my knowledge there are no electric cars that can be flat towed.
Jeep is suppose to be coming out with a Wrangler 4x4 version with a transfer case neutral that will work with flat towing. 2023 is suppose to be their release year.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
A close family friend installed 24 charging bays at their gas station/restaurant business. They are paid for by grants through the government and they earn an annual % of energy pumped. They claim the amount they will earn is enormous. Also their restaurant business has quadrupled since they completed the install 4 months ago. Here in California, these charge stations are free to use, paid for by our tax dollars, yet we whom relay on fossil\ fuels pay out the nose for our fuel.. Our tax dollars are defiantly not being used fairly.
A significant chunk of that gas price is taxes used to improve our roads — which EVs also use. I’m all for clean vehicles but they need to pay their share for the roads they use too.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
A significant chunk of that gas price is taxes used to improve our roads — which EVs also use. I’m all for clean vehicles but they need to pay their share for the roads they use too.

I agree 100%. I Didn't consider the gas tax.. We are getting a double whammy...

The part about electric vehicle use that i cant get my hands around. Mining experts from around the globe has putt out warnings that Lithium will run dry within 15-20 years at current consumption. And battery experts say that iron batteries does not make electric transportation use feasible. Even Elon Musk has warned there is no technology that can replace Lithium... Wonder whats gonna happen when the well runs dry,....
Old 11-30-2021, 02:09 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
I agree 100%. I Didn't consider the gas tax.. We are getting a double whammy...

The part about electric vehicle use that i cant get my hands around. Mining experts from around the globe has putt out warnings that Lithium will run dry within 15-20 years at current consumption. And battery experts say that iron batteries does not make electric transportation use feasible. Even Elon Musk has warned there is no technology that can replace Lithium... Wonder whats gonna happen when the well runs dry,....
It was recently reported that the state of Maine has a large lithium deposit in the Bethel/Newry area. Possibly one of the largest deposits in the world.
Afghanistan is also rich in lithium deposits.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
I have yet to see any EV’s as toads, but given that it is becoming more difficult to get an ordinary vehicle, not 4WD with neutral range, to pull, I wonder if EV’s wouldn’t be the answer? Diesel electric railroad locomotives generate electricity when going down hill. They generate so much electricity that they must have radiators on the roof to dissipate the generated heat. What does this have to do with EV’s as toads? If you’re pulling an electric toad wouldn’t doing so charge the batteries?
Don't Locomotives use diesel engines to create the Electricity? I do see black smoke coming out the top?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yep and also why you can't find a decent buggy whip anymore!
You have not been in a Cal-Ranch Store... they must have 40-50 on display.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You have not been in a Cal-Ranch Store... they must have 40-50 on display.
Another great store that would be across the street from the “ Mint Bar” in Sheridan WY. On main St. the Mint opened in 1907.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericloz View Post
It’s not a zero sum game, there is no “all or nothing” to this. Perhaps they prefer the size and convenience of an ev? Or perhaps they prefer the lack of ICE noise when driving down the road? Maybe they love the smooth acceleration of an ev? Or maybe they just love electric cars?
Some people prefer to use their F-350 duallys as their daily drivers to and from their office jobs and we don’t complain much, why bother the ev folk?
can't comment keep it non political
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #52
RPR

EV is a evolving technology. They will be part of our future. There will be ups and downs as it evolves and improves as did the internal combustion engine.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #53

you can not recoup the cost of making and installing and servicing these wind turbines, they also use oil for lubrication, and what is france going to do with all those cars that the batteries age out and it is cheaper to buy new cars than replace the battery, and where they going to plant the used solar panels that stop working, send them back to china, I doubt it,,
Old 12-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
you can not recoup the cost of making and installing and servicing these wind turbines, they also use oil for lubrication, and what is france going to do with all those cars that the batteries age out and ,,
We saw one of those large Wind Generators on fire near Tehacppi a few years ago. The thing was spilling tons of oil. Fire Dept was there watching with the rest of us. It was obvious they couldn't do anything to put it out CHP ran us off the highway so never did see how they finally got that thing extinguished.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
you can not recoup the cost of making and installing and servicing these wind turbines, they also use oil for lubrication, and what is France going to do with all those cars that the batteries age out and it is cheaper to buy new cars than replace the battery, and where they going to plant the used solar panels that stop working, send them back to china, I doubt it,,
A couple more wind turbine issues:
  1. When the turbine is not generating, it is actually using electricity to heat the lubricating oil in its gearbox and to power its control system.
  2. The 180ish foot turbine blades cannot be recycled (as of yet).
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:05 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsea5 View Post
A couple more wind turbine issues:
  1. The 180ish foot turbine blades cannot be recycled (as of yet).
Nor can Lithium batteries and solar panels. And both are not good for the environment to be lingering around.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Many states are enacting annual tax fees for EVs. In WI it's $100 annually. But that's still short IMO. Doesn't account for mileage. EV owners are not happy about it, but at least it's keeping things more fair.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Many states are enacting annual tax fees for EVs. In WI it's $100 annually. But that's still short IMO. Doesn't account for mileage. EV owners are not happy about it, but at least it's keeping things more fair.

Everyone I know with an EV puts in nearly double the miles I do.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote