Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #21

What he said ^^^^. I've been on the board of zoning appeals of my township for 6 years now, and this is something that comes up from time to time. I also was an HOA president for 15 years prior. Each locale has it's own set of rules, but there are some standards to consider. Set back from right of way is usually how most agencies 'get ya'. Trailers are different from motorhomes. I've yet to find any enforceable ordinance prohibiting motorhomes from parking at a primary residence on the parking surface....the fact that it has a motor and is registered plus insured places it squarely in the state's jurisdiction and the law ladder is governed from the top down. You may find an exemption from the BZA of your town, village, etc. that would give a use variance. It really would depend on how sharp they are at giving those. Use variances by definition are a self defeating process for several reasons that would take way too much typing to post here. I'm not familiar with where you are.
For those who live where an HOA is the issue: You will not likely ever prevail over an HOA rules that are within the Declarations. Side letters don't count...only what is filed at the recorder office as a deed restriction. The gotcha is that an HOA is a private contract between the owners...and the owners. This means that if you try to sue your HOA it will be thrown at the first court appearance since under the law...You can't sue yourself.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I had something similar happen many years back and installed a large wood panel gate at the side yard and corner of the house where I had parked the RV, which made it unable to be seen from the road. I am happy to now live where no such rules (ordinances) apply. ~CA

I am happy to now live where there is no HOA, and outside of the City limits.

Our neighbors are respectful and everyone takes care of their property without government interference.
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #23

Selective enforcement

I went through something similar. I would love to see the statue or ordinance they are enforcing. In most states selective enforcement is prohibited. Usually on this type of enforcement, someone made a complaint. Most ordinances are similar when it does permit parking. Some places it’s completely prohibited. Also if you read definition of Rv there may be a way around it. Some ordinances are older and have not been updated. Your Rv may be outside of the square footage (usually around 400 square feet). There may be other technicalities that would get around the statue also. I will say most prohibited parking in front of your house line which is different than property line. Most require a non natural parking material ( gravel or concrete). The gotcha is usually being required to park in an enclosed structure.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I'm having some difficulty with the local authorities.

I own my home . Just spent a good deal on a concrete slab and adding a 30 amp service .
Professionally done to have a place to park our 2021 212qb.
I've lived here for 8 years nice neighborhood, nice people. We have a corner lot about 2/3 of an acre.

Everything great, until a notice of violation is stapled to my mail box. The notice of course that prohibits storing an rv in the front or side yard. They have given me 10 days to remove the camper.. In addition, it says that any rv or boat must not be visible from the street.

Never had any indication there were issues . Camper has been there since we bought it in September. I was floored. It was partially the number of rv's and boats parked near me that led me to believe that there was no reason to be concerned.

I drove through the neighborhood and documented 19 rv's and boats parked in yards within one mile of my home. Yes, 19! Front yard, side yard. All visible from the street.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Maybe apply for a zoning exception?

Tell them as soon as they start paying your mortgage they can tell you what and where you can park on your own property.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #25

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
What he said ^^^^. I've been on the board of zoning appeals of my township for 6 years now, and this is something that comes up from time to time. I also was an HOA president for 15 years prior. Each locale has it's own set of rules, but there are some standards to consider. Set back from right of way is usually how most agencies 'get ya'. Trailers are different from motorhomes. I've yet to find any enforceable ordinance prohibiting motorhomes from parking at a primary residence on the parking surface....the fact that it has a motor and is registered plus insured places it squarely in the state's jurisdiction and the law ladder is governed from the top down. You may find an exemption from the BZA of your town, village, etc. that would give a use variance. It really would depend on how sharp they are at giving those. Use variances by definition are a self defeating process for several reasons that would take way too much typing to post here. I'm not familiar with where you are.
For those who live where an HOA is the issue: You will not likely ever prevail over an HOA rules that are within the Declarations. Side letters don't count...only what is filed at the recorder office as a deed restriction. The gotcha is that an HOA is a private contract between the owners...and the owners. This means that if you try to sue your HOA it will be thrown at the first court appearance since under the law...You can't sue yourself.
I did beat the city on my end.

1). Motor home did not fall under Rv def because it’s considered a motor vehicle.

2). Selective enforcement- I got a photo of a city council member parking his Rv in the driveway, along with 14 other residence in the neighborhood, and it was even blocking the sidewalk

3). Failure to enforce - being I worked in the city as a police officer for many years. I was able to establish with documentation, multiple Rv being parked in violation of the ordinance for more than 8-years and ordinance was not being enforced.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNMA1 View Post
I did beat the city on my end.

1). Motor home did not fall under Rv def because it’s considered a motor vehicle.

2). Selective enforcement- I got a photo of a city council member parking his Rv in the driveway, along with 14 other residence in the neighborhood, and it was even blocking the sidewalk

3). Failure to enforce - being I worked in the city as a police officer for many years. I was able to establish with documentation, multiple Rv being parked in violation of the ordinance for more than 8-years and ordinance was not being enforced.
I'm always amazed at the looks on council faces, and zoning inspectors when they find out that a motorhome is off limits for their crap parking laws. (because of my experience, I've been a 'go to' from time to time on next steps that homeowners have available to them.) Your identification of arbitrary and capricious enforcement will cause most law directors and city/county prosecutors to run like hell from the enforcement of any tickets. Good for you and nothing feels better than being right when confronting those who don't know right from wrong.

Old 07-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #27

I'm also on a local Board of Adjustments and was Building Official for a large City for nearly 20 years. My advice, don't tick-off the code enforcement staff, they didn't write the law. Go talk to the Zoning staff, see if they have a Variance procedure, most do. If they do ask for help and suggestions on applying. What kind of situations are considered a hardship. Some laws say you can't have the vehicle in the front yard. You said corner lot. Many municipalities say a corner lot has a "front yard" on each side that fronts a street. Talk to an old timer that can help navigate the system.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #28

I'm thinking what might have gotten you in trouble is the fact that you mentioned you installed a concrete pad and electrical service. I'm betting that if you had just backed the rig into your yard, on the lawn, and left it at that, nobody would have bothered you. You see, no Municipality in the Country wants you to improve something without paying them the "griff". I'd bet if you recheck your neighborhood, the rigs are probably not on slabs?
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #29

Neighbors

It turned out my adjacent neighbor complained. I didn’t even have my Rv parked for extended time. It was not that it was a broken down Rv. I had it there for 7 days. The Rv was worth more than our house.

As soon as I received the violation notice I approached all my neighbors and they all denied making a complaint. I had an ide who made the complaint, so I reached out to her husband. He admitted his wife made the complaint over his objection. She’s a busybody and couldn’t see down the block. I said next time be a good neighbor and approach me with a complaint.

I did let him know, just out of spite, I was going to leave the Rv in my driveway for an additional two weeks as a lesson to his wife, he laughed, said it serves her right, and we had a beer together. (Obama beer summit).
Old 07-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #30

It’s probably written in your original CCR’s. From the county. Our city has the same regulation thru the county but they said they don’t want to enforce it, as that would stop people from moving into our city. Even with no HOA, the CCR’s are still there. Things you wouldn’t ven think of if you actually read the long, boring, paperwork, which I did. Things like you can’t wash your car, no parking out fron between 10 pm and 5 am, all kinds of weird stuff, we’re just lucky our city managers don’t enforce any of them or everyone on our block would get a ticket. We’re in Riverside county, ca
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #31

Jacjayco, I wish you luck in dealing with this, maybe ask for an extention of time while you look into fighting your battle.

Grumpy and Jagiven, you guys are great and I am sure your advice is appreciated by many including myself. Keep it up,
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #32

I'm very impressed with the quality of information in the thread and general good counsel.
It's a frustrating situation. I was approached by a neighbor and told her that during my summer use it will be in my driveway when I'm home, and it will either be stored for the winter or I'll be gone. I checked and I'm good to go but I think there may be some kind of limit on how many days it can go unmoved. It always depends on who your neighbor is. Some guy down the next block actually blocks the public sidewalk with his boat. It's always there unless it's in the water. So two things I did - make absolutely certain the nose of my 24 footer doesn't extend in to the sidewalk, and I also got an RV that is basically brown and red, with some white. It actually blends in with all the brick homes in the area. Hoping I don't run into problems but I think if I keep it moving I should be okay. Good luck.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
I'm having some difficulty with the local authorities.

I own my home . Just spent a good deal on a concrete slab and adding a 30 amp service .
Professionally done to have a place to park our 2021 212qb.
I've lived here for 8 years nice neighborhood, nice people. We have a corner lot about 2/3 of an acre.

Everything great, until a notice of violation is stapled to my mail box. The notice of course that prohibits storing an rv in the front or side yard. They have given me 10 days to remove the camper.. In addition, it says that any rv or boat must not be visible from the street.

Never had any indication there were issues . Camper has been there since we bought it in September. I was floored. It was partially the number of rv's and boats parked near me that led me to believe that there was no reason to be concerned.

I drove through the neighborhood and documented 19 rv's and boats parked in yards within one mile of my home. Yes, 19! Front yard, side yard. All visible from the street.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Maybe apply for a zoning exception?
There’s a reason for rules such as this: RVs stored on home lots degrade the neighborhood. Property values suffer and it becomes more difficult to sell homes. If you had taken 5 minutes to read your covenants this mistake wouldn’t have been made.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
There’s a reason for rules such as this: RVs stored on home lots degrade the neighborhood. Property values suffer and it becomes more difficult to sell homes. If you had taken 5 minutes to read your covenants this mistake wouldn’t have been made.
I totally disagree! My rigs have always been.parked at my house, (over 40 years, 5 different subdivisions) as did numerous neighbors. Houses still sold above market for the area. Furthermore not every subdivision has restrictive covenants. Many times it's a local official overstepping their bounds. Where I'm at right now visiting, in Illinois, there are 5 rigs parked in driveways.

As I posted earlier the US Supreme Court ruled against Euclid OH regarding such arbitrary rules. Good Sam and FMCA also have worked with RV owners, using that ruling and won.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #35

Real estate 101. How you take care of your property influences its value. And nothing you do or don't do will make up for a poor location.

Too many years as a real estate investor now to allow that 'depreciates property values' stuff to go out there unchecked. There's not a credible study done in the past 50 years that backs up what was posted. Not even Robert Shiller, who knows more than all of us together will back it up that nonsense.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #36

Quote:
I disagree. RVs themselves do not degrade the neighborhood. Poorly maintained ones do. Where I live city law specifies exactly where and how an RV, boat, or utility trailer, may be stored on one's property. It also specifies that they must be in good, useable condition, and that brush and grass should not be growing up around them. In the 30+ years in my house, many neighbors in the sub-division have properly stored boats, RVs, and utility trailers. Most of them have looked just fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:58 PM   #37

To understand the truth of my statement, ask yourself this question: do I want a home in a neighborhood with houses enhanced by trees, grass and flowers, or surrounded by concrete pads with trailers and motor homes?
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #38

Quote:
To understand the truth of my statement, ask yourself this question: do I want a home in a neighborhood with houses enhanced by trees, grass and flowers, or surrounded by concrete pads with trailers and motor homes?
Every place I've lived and where I'm at now there are, trees, flowers and grass. The RV's take none of that away. Actualy most RV owner yards look better than average.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #39

Rv pad on property

Quote:
Actually in most instances, where permitted, Rv parking on property will actually increase its value. It’s even considered a premium amenity in locations that permit.

The ordinance and regulations are mostly dated back in the day.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #40

Quote:
I've seen expensive HOAs that look like parking lots with houses. Small yards, few trees. But of course you can't park an RV there because it's unsightly.

If you drive through my neighborhood casually without the intent of looking for trailers, you'd only notice a few of them. The rest are nice and neat. And we have many hundreds of trees and lots of grass. We have a mix of small to very large yards. Mine is about 1/3 of an acre.

I'll take my neighborhood, or one like it, anytime over draconian restrictions that make everything look the same.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote