Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Mice - Ughhhh

35 years camping with an RV and only once did we have a problem. Turned out they came down the chimney, thru the furnace and built a nest in the dinette. A simple screen over the chimney solved the problem. (That was an old trailer)

Last year it was so wet all Summer, so we decided to keep the ceiling vents open all the time to avoid mold. We have toppers on, so I didn't think it would be a problem.

Friday went to camp for the weekend. Opened the bathroom and the toilet, floor and tub were covered with crap. A mouse nest had been built in the roof vent, right on top of the fan blades. After removing the debris and sterilizing everything, I closed the vent. The 6 little 1" long babies were sent to the woods.

About sundown the mother apparently came back and spent half the night scratching on the closed vent, trying to get back in. A liberal spray of black flag insect repellent (all I had) seemed to deter the little creature.

Obviously, the small opening at the bottom of the vent cover was enough to let the little bugger in. Any way to seal that off better?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

Copper or stainless steel mesh. I prefer the copper. Amazon sells a small roll of mesh for about $10.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Easy to catch a mouse with peanut butter...

Google image

When you go dump the trash can outside somewhere the mouse in most cases will likely beat you back into the trailer haha...

Just poking alittle fun with your mouse problem...

I had to seal every hole I could fine and I still get them occasionally...

In my case I turn on lights inside my POPUP trailer at night and go look under the trailer and see spots where light was showing through the floor...

My biggest place was the shore power cable lid. They would climb up the shore power cable and get inside...

I also had a seal problem between the pulled out tent bed and the popup trailer wall. I could bend over and look straight out where the oem seal was located and see daylight with hugh gaps in the seal strip... This also let in night bugs and all... I finally came up with a better seal arrangement to solve that problem...

You will probably have better luck containing them with a better sealed large trailer. My popup is just to open to do much good...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

We park our trailer next to our attached garage. My dad lives next door (it's a side by side) and parks his trailer there as well. They are on a gravel pad. There is a wooded and heavy brush area against our back yard. Our shed is at the back of the yard. Lots of mice, in the shed, mice get in my garage and have been in the adjoining wall of the house. In 25 years of parking trailers there, we've never once had mice in them.

There is no brush or any place for the mice to hide from predators around the trailers. In other words make sure the area around your trailer is clear by at least 3 feet. It doesn't hurt if one of your neighbors has a cat that gets to roam outside.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote