Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2022, 07:54 AM   #1

Never thought I would see the day ....

That a RV value would value would increase 2 1/2 years later after buying.
I finally got the propane regulator recall done after 5 months of waiting for the dealer to get one. When I went to pick it up was talking and the subject of rv values came up. Durning the conversation I was ask if I would be interested in selling ours. Well they came back with a price of 5K over what I bought it new from them 2 1/2 years ago! To me that's just unreal but I guess that's the market now. No I didn't sell it. The DW would shoot me and bury me in the back forty somewhere. LOL
Old 02-05-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team

....and you would have to start all over making the new one to her satisfaction!!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:04 AM   #3

And much more expensive than 5K "profit" they offered on the old one.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I actually dread the thought of attempting to replace my trailer at this point. There just isn't anything out there right now that offers what we already have. Yes, the value is there for the trade. But, I don't have any idea what I would trade it on.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I actually dread the thought of attempting to replace my trailer at this point. There just isn't anything out there right now that offers what we already have. Yes, the value is there for the trade. But, I don't have any idea what I would trade it on.
It is just like real estate as an example. Yes, you can get a handsome return on your property, but unless you are planning to substantially downsize, you will spend it all and then some on the other side. We have a track of land we want to build; wife says she has one more house in her. Started planning, and after a year, put the brakes on it. Between "inflation", lack of materials, and scarce labor, we decided to wait.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:21 AM   #6

We bought our 2020 Pinnacle at 30% off pre-COVID MSRP pricing. I bet I could make some money on it but loose a bunch more replacing it. Probably the same thing goes with my truck.

However, sometimes it can work to your advantage, maybe. We took the wife's 2019 Subaru Ascent to our dealer for some service work a couple of weeks ago but never got the service done. They had received an unspoken for 2022 model the day before and we drove it home. Selling price was MSRP but the difference with the value of mine was too good to pass up.

Just crazy.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
It is just like real estate as an example. Yes, you can get a handsome return on your property, but unless you are planning to substantially downsize, you will spend it all and then some on the other side. We have a track of land we want to build; wife says she has one more house in her. Started planning, and after a year, put the brakes on it. Between "inflation", lack of materials, and scarce labor, we decided to wait.
It's funny that you mention that. My wife and I have been trying to secure a seasonal site at our favorite local campground. We keep applying and they keep dragging us on with the waiting list.

My wife has started to kick around the idea of building a little cabin on one of our properties instead of continuing to try the seasonal site idea. Just the rough cost estimates gave me a little chest pain. More that our home that we have been in since 2002. Things will need to calm down quite a bit before that becomes feasible.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
It's funny that you mention that. My wife and I have been trying to secure a seasonal site at our favorite local campground. We keep applying and they keep dragging us on with the waiting list.

My wife has started to kick around the idea of building a little cabin on one of our properties instead of continuing to try the seasonal site idea. Just the rough cost estimates gave me a little chest pain. More that our home that we have been in since 2002. Things will need to calm down quite a bit before that becomes feasible.
We went down that road last fall. We were out looking at waterfront property to build a cabin on (without much luck!) and on the way home stopped at our favorite waterfront campground. Whoa...they just opened up additional seasonal sites and the one my wife loves, loves was one of them. We are now seasonal. It's pure dumb luck at this stage of the game....list or no list. They had a list, but we were there with a checkbook.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
We went down that road last fall. We were out looking at waterfront property to build a cabin on (without much luck!) and on the way home stopped at our favorite waterfront campground. Whoa...they just opened up additional seasonal sites and the one my wife loves, loves was one of them. We are now seasonal. It's pure dumb luck at this stage of the game....list or no list. They had a list, but we were there with a checkbook.
Wow, congratulations. That is great.. I wish that would happen to us. It seems like my money isn't good enough. But, that is a story for another time.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #10

If we didn't use ours as much as we do, i would cash in. Problem is, knowing i would just turn around and buy another, why would i want to pay these high demand prices.. Especially after putting all the work into it making it somewhat perfect for us,.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #11

Midnight........Not sure my 'advice' is worth anything, but what I discovered in our neck of the woods....private campgrounds have an April to October season. They take names for that list any time of year, but here, they use Oct to Dec 31 as the renewal window. At any time during those weeks, if a current resident indicates they aren't renewing, then that site is immediately available. Any sites not renewed by January 1 with money in the cash register....basically are out...depending on how hard the property sticks to their own rules. A couple of campgrounds we've inspected during that past also have lists of sites with trailers already on them for sale...site and trailer. Not a lot, but it only takes one. In today's market that might not be a bad deal....take their unit off the site (unless it's better than what you have, right?) and drag it back to sell or rent and place yours there.

At one property we looked at a couple of years back, we were told to call frequently during that period to check on availability since they used that to gauge us as a candidate. I got the feeling that begging was used to determine acceptance. I never followed up with them.

Good luck

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Midnight........Not sure my 'advice' is worth anything, but what I discovered in our neck of the woods....private campgrounds have an April to October season. They take names for that list any time of year, but here, they use Oct to Dec 31 as the renewal window. At any time during those weeks, if a current resident indicates they aren't renewing, then that site is immediately available. Any sites not renewed by January 1 with money in the cash register....basically are out...depending on how hard the property sticks to their own rules. A couple of campgrounds we've inspected during that past also have lists of sites with trailers already on them for sale...site and trailer. Not a lot, but it only takes one. In today's market that might not be a bad deal....take their unit off the site (unless it's better than what you have, right?) and drag it back to sell or rent and place yours there.

At one property we looked at a couple of years back, we were told to call frequently during that period to check on availability since they used that to gauge us as a candidate. I got the feeling that begging was used to determine acceptance. I never followed up with them.

Good luck
Thanks, you just gave me a good idea. I just dropped a "just in case something comes available" email to the campground. It certainly can't hurt to try. We already have approx 10 nights booked there for next summer and we have had quite a few stays there over the last few years. They certainly know who we are. But, It doesn't hurt to remind them that we are still interested.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:06 PM   #13

I experienced the same thing, got an offer on my TT that was more than I paid for it. I still predict that within a few years we are going to see RV prices drop as those that purchased during Covid are going to recognize what it takes to maintain and store an RV.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Not only a lack of materials perhaps, but if you can find it, lumber for example, expect to pay more than double the cost of it prior to the pandemic.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #15

Making matters a little worse is the growing list of campgrounds that have increased their prices exponentially, also. Some places, prime weekends are going for $200/night. I'm sorry, but I'm bringing my own lodging, food, clothes and can bring my own water.

It will be nice once the "Covid Campers" have had enough and campgrounds and camper prices get more reasonable.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #16
RPR

May be awhile. When they look at how much motel prices have gone up at tourist locations. Wait time at restaurants at same locations due to staff shortages. Etc.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #17

DW's former co-worker is selling his class A - Tiffin but don't remember which one. One dealer told him as a private seller he could get 360K - 380K. He is selling for 340K. We saw it once and it was sweet - heated marble floors is one thing DW hasn't forgotten.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #18

I know we can get more money in US than canada but not anywhere close to what we paid for our motorhome
Sunshine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
That a RV value would value would increase 2 1/2 years later after buying.
I finally got the propane regulator recall done after 5 months of waiting for the dealer to get one. When I went to pick it up was talking and the subject of rv values came up. Durning the conversation I was ask if I would be interested in selling ours. Well they came back with a price of 5K over what I bought it new from them 2 1/2 years ago! To me that's just unreal but I guess that's the market now. No I didn't sell it. The DW would shoot me and bury me in the back forty somewhere. LOL
Well I have a new (never been used only pulled 5 miles from dealer to my driveway) 2020 29FLS Jayco White Hawk original MRSP $47.k sitting in my driveway under a cover. Due to health issues we can’t use it. What is the best method to sell. Family members want it a heavily discounted price but I think a new never been used TT might be worth more now. Am I wrong?
Crink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:20 PM   #20

Ours is worth more than the 13G we paid. We love our rig, it's perfect for us, and with over 50 mods and upgrades, it's priceless.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote