Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator Evaporators Fan

Hello,
I have an 8' cube Norcol refrigerator. I want to improve its efficiency so I got myself a 3SDL Norcold 3 fan Special Deluxe Fan with White LED lights 13 in wide which Iwant to install on the evaporators of the refrigerator. To get power, the manufacturer recommends passing the wire through the drain hole. As the drain hole is small I'm afraid it will block the water outlet. I wonder if I can drill a small hole to pass the wire to connect to the power on the back of the fridge.
Is there a danger of drilling a small hole in the back wall of the refrigerator?

Thanks for your advices.

Ghislain
Ghislain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:37 PM   #2

I wouldn't. The drain tube may be enough, just keep an eye on it. I don't recall if the drain tube is glued into the backwall, but if it isn't solidly glued you could remove it and enlarge the hole with a file so the wire can go through the hole outside of the tube, and then seal it well.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
I wouldn't. The drain tube may be enough, just keep an eye on it. I don't recall if the drain tube is glued into the backwall, but if it isn't solidly glued you could remove it and enlarge the hole with a file so the wire can go through the hole outside of the tube, and then seal it well.
Thanks I will try that
Ghislain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #4

I'd just run it thru the drain tube. Don't make it harder than it needs to be. If you have problems, then look for other options. I have a different model, and I powered additional fans by connecting to my existing interior fan that is inadequate.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #5

The fridge fan setup I installed runs the power wire through the fridge vent line. I’ve never had an issue as it still drains fine..
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

I installed a fan in my Norcold N8X and ran the power wire through the drain line. I've never had a problem with it draining, even while defrosting between trips.