Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2023, 07:41 PM   #1

RV Gadgets

There’s so many gadgets these days for just about everything including the RV world. What are some must have gadgets or things you use in or around the RV that you can’t do without or just find handy to have?
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:07 PM   #2

We take these with us on every trip... Just can't do without them!
Attached Thumbnails
20230107_185337.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:14 PM   #3

Lots of posts on this subject. For us, we tend to cook and eat outdoors. So we have a propane stove, grill, and griddle, along with an 11 lb tank, and a manifold.

When camping, I like to keep things simple.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
There’s so many gadgets these days for just about everything including the RV world. What are some must have gadgets or things you use in or around the RV that you can’t do without or just find handy to have?
City water pressure regulator,a quality fresh water hose, a really good quality black/gray water drain hose. Those are my must have’s. The handy to have is a good ice chest filled with what makes you and your DW happy ( good luck on that one).
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:04 PM   #5

Some non-standard camping items:

5 pound weights with a short rope handle to keep the outdoor rug from blowing in the wind.

A few traffic cones to route people from walking through our cooking area.

Battery case with all needed batteries.

Full selection of different USB charging cables.

Inverter generator for dry camping to save wear and tear on 4k unit when light power requirement is needed.

Laptop and cell phone used as a hotspot to keep viewing this forum.

Direct TV DVR receiver for sat reception plus viewing some recorded things.

Pad and paper for writing down all the repairs and new things we want to buy for the next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG   Capture2.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:36 PM   #6

Must haves -
Good surge supressor, extension cord, water regulator, extra water hose, well supplied tool box (another thread for sure!), wood blocks, extra set of keys in Tow Vehicle.
I like to keep it simple and light as possible.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Must haves -
Good surge supressor, extension cord, water regulator, extra water hose, well supplied tool box (another thread for sure!), wood blocks, extra set of keys in Tow Vehicle.
I like to keep it simple and light as possible.
Jagiven said it too keeping it simple is really important for us also. My wife and I are both over packers by nature especially with clothes. For that reason I try to keep other items to a minimum. But there are some items that help life when we’re traveling.

For example the Govee Wi-Fi thermometer has been a big one for us. Maybe not so much since we got the Wi-Fi thermostat but it still helps. When we leave our camper at Rv parks for extended periods of time I can know the electricity is still on by checking the temperature in the camper. When we’re spending a weekend at the camper but go on adventures or go fishing for the day we leave our dog in the camper. Peace of mind knowing the temperature in the camper is good while we’re gone.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:05 AM   #8

Anything required like hoses I wouldn't consider a "gadget". I'm thinking of things that are RV specific where other things would work. So . . .

Lynx blocks over pieces of wood.
Joseph Joseph wall mount nesting cutting boards.
Collapsible bucket
Motion sensing, USB recharging, 12v cabinet lights.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:27 AM   #9

We're seasonal at a lake two hours from home. That has it's own 'needs' since at least one of us is making unscheduled trips back and forth during the season. Blink camera to get notification and record when there's a trespasser. Dumped the picnic table and got a patio version 4 seat high top table. Sirius rcvr and bluetooth speaker. Stromberg C-36 ladder mount dryer rack. 150 gallon deck box. I also keep three vinyl gutter lengths...two for the roof edge to cover the awning when the cover is put on for the winter and the other is used to act as a black water hose tray between the trailer and the 'hole' to keep everything supported and stable. Key in magnetic key box hidden underneath since at least twice a year I make the trip and forget my keys. Since I'm a clean freak I also have a small ryobi pressure washer and rotory brush scrubber to take care of the outside and roof two or three times a year...we are under a giant pin oak.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Anything required like hoses I wouldn't consider a "gadget". I'm thinking of things that are RV specific where other things would work. So . . ..

Actually both of my water hoses are space saving and the type I'd never normally use at home. One is a 20' coiled camco in a travel case, and the main one is a collapseable 25' zero g.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Pad and paper for writing down all the repairs and new things we want to buy for the next trip.
Definitely some way to keep track of needed repairs, maintenance, spare parts, and new gadgets in real time as you're camping. I use Microsoft To Do on my iPhone and laptop.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #12

If your battery doesn't have a built in handle, a battery lifting strap could come in handy.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Actually both of my water hoses are space saving and the type I'd never normally use at home. One is a 20' coiled camco in a travel case, and the main one is a collapseable 25' zero g.
I definitely need to change out my fresh water supply hose. I currently still have one of the old blue hoses found at Walmart. That thing is a pain to coil up especially when it’s not 95 degrees.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
We're seasonal at a lake two hours from home. That has it's own 'needs' since at least one of us is making unscheduled trips back and forth during the season. Blink camera to get notification and record when there's a trespasser. Dumped the picnic table and got a patio version 4 seat high top table. Sirius rcvr and bluetooth speaker. Stromberg C-36 ladder mount dryer rack. 150 gallon deck box. I also keep three vinyl gutter lengths...two for the roof edge to cover the awning when the cover is put on for the winter and the other is used to act as a black water hose tray between the trailer and the 'hole' to keep everything supported and stable. Key in magnetic key box hidden underneath since at least twice a year I make the trip and forget my keys. Since I'm a clean freak I also have a small ryobi pressure washer and rotory brush scrubber to take care of the outside and roof two or three times a year...we are under a giant pin oak.
How did you attach your camera to the camper? I’m interested in getting a security camera but I won’t drill any holes in the side wall of the camper.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We take these with us on every trip... Just can't do without them!

While I agree with SloPoke (ask me how I know.....), I prefer the keyed alike key. I literally have two keys for my 5th wheel. I have the camper key, that opens every door and compartment. And, I have one Master Lock key that opens all of my padlocks for toys (and my sheds at the house).
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
I love gadgets … that work. Here are a few that weren’t terribly expensive and have more than paid for themselves in convenience or piece of mind:
— LCD voltage meter for the 12v receptacle behind the TV. Tells me the battery voltage at any given time.
— Blow-out plug with flexible hose and shutoff valve for blowing out water lines (photo).
— Spray stick for washing down black tank through the toilet.
— Inexpensive plastic hose shutoff valves for various uses. Saves trips back to the hose bib.
— Cheap digital flow meter to show how much water I’ve put into my FW tank during sanitizing (photo).
— Spring-loaded telescoping closet rods to hang towels or clothes in the bathroom or elsewhere.
— Cheap Harbor Freight siphon pump for getting that last bit of water at the bottom of the water heater (photo). Also, HF plastic “clothespins” which come in handy all over the place.
— Inexpensive folding plastic side tables for sitting drinks, food, phone on next to our lounge chairs. Found them for about $12 at Wally World.

There’s plenty more, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
ED75E2D2-4924-44C7-A045-3C48F2ADAA54.jpg   F7110384-89B4-4D13-86B7-81A9EC289E10.jpeg   F5923BB8-FE10-4B0D-BB48-B7447BC7F2D9.jpeg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #17

Hare are a few just for starters. By far the best was the RV Airflow and the SoftStart for the air conditioner. My wife likes the electric bed lift the best.

Here are a few more:

https://www.rvairflow.com/

https://www.softstartusa.com/rvlife/?utm_CamperReport

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x

https://technorv.com/collections/vendors?q=smartplug

https://www.dexteraxle.com/product/2...suspension-kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N58KQMQ
/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=

https://www.amazon.com/HitchGrip-HG7...%2C118&sr=8-10

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...de/MR47RR.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-88-00-6500-Automatic-Jacks-6-extension/dp/B00AZS7HQ2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3SGLGDHV2FEUH&keywords=Fastway%2BF lip%2BJack

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...t+impact&pos=0%2BFoot&qid=1646415692&sprefix=fastway%2Bflip%2Bja ck%2Bfoot%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NM8H67C...roduct_details

http://eezrvproduct.com/

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...urance/p/32602

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/88p

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NM8H67C...roduct_details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FAdqJGws-PA

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 01:07 PM   #18

Those are quite a few good lists. This is what I have:

- Water meter like LuckyDuck
- Wooden jack blocks I made following a post on the site
- A couple of extensions for the external gas line (including a Y that helps me put two devices on if I need them)
- Surge suppressor (looking at putting in the Progressive EMS when I change out the plug at some time to a plug in)
- Powerblocks for the 120v plugs that have dedicated USB ports (I tried replacing the plugs, but not enough room in the wall by the bed)
- Extend-a-shower rod that let us replace the original shower curtain

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
How did you attach your camera to the camper? I’m interested in getting a security camera but I won’t drill any holes in the side wall of the camper.
two sided tape. Scotch/3m has that at Walmart in two flavors...temporary and permanent(it's not)...either will work. Woodworker supply stores have a two sided tape with a bit more gusto in holding grip. Also, there's a carpenter's trick to use instead of two sided tape: you need gel type super glue such as a woodworker has and the spray accelerator that is used with super glue (brands don't matter)..... use exterior painter's (mine is orange) tape on the back of the doorbell/camera and on the surface you want to mount on. then put a few drops of gel on the tape on the device and spray the other tape(it won't hurt the finish on the rv) put the two together and hold for about 10 seconds. wahla. In that order will prevent super glue from sliding down the face of the RV. We use that method in the shop when building 'stuff' that needs a pattern or template for a router project. Easy to separate when done and the tape just pulls off.

If you have a Michael's craft store near you, they sell a small 1 or 2 oz sprayer of the CA glue accelerator for like $4 last time I saw it. Good luck.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
two sided tape. Scotch/3m has that at Walmart in two flavors...temporary and permanent(it's not)...either will work. Woodworker supply stores have a two sided tape with a bit more gusto in holding grip. Also, there's a carpenter's trick to use instead of two sided tape: you need gel type super glue such as a woodworker has and the spray accelerator that is used with super glue (brands don't matter)..... use exterior painter's (mine is orange) tape on the back of the doorbell/camera and on the surface you want to mount on. then put a few drops of gel on the tape on the device and spray the other tape(it won't hurt the finish on the rv) put the two together and hold for about 10 seconds. wahla. In that order will prevent super glue from sliding down the face of the RV. We use that method in the shop when building 'stuff' that needs a pattern or template for a router project. Easy to separate when done and the tape just pulls off.

If you have a Michael's craft store near you, they sell a small 1 or 2 oz sprayer of the CA glue accelerator for like $4 last time I saw it. Good luck.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector