Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chester
Posts: 994
RV Shortage - Fact or Fiction

We have all seen posts about the run on RVs and how dealer inventory is low while demand is high and manufacturers cannot keep the dealers supplied. Is this fact or is it fiction and a ploy to escalate prices?

We took our Accolade to Entegra/Jayco factory service this past weekend for a two week service appointment. While we were there one thing was noticeable and that was the number of completed RVs sitting in the manufacturer's yards. Jayco, KZ RV and others all had a bunch of RVs sitting in yards ready for delivery. Now what we saw were Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels with very few completed motorhomes. This was true for Middlebury and Goshen. We did not drive up to Elkhart to look around.

Going in and out of Middlebury I saw two trucks leaving with deliveries. One was a flatbed carrying 2 small TTs and the other was a pickup pulling a FW.

Makes one think about what is happening.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 16,147
We have a local RV dealer just down the road, Brooks RV in Connellsville. They sell Forest River products. I just drove by there this morning and there are no more than a dozen new units on the lot and just a handful of used. In normal times, that place has probably 5 times that amount.
__________________
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56
Andersen WD

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Wickenburg
Posts: 20
Transportation is a problem. The second largest RV transport company went BK a while ago, and trucking in general is in a rough patch with low rates, and the rise of the so-called "nuclear verdicts" causing insurance to go out of control.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
Member
 
Jim_in_WA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Richmond HIll
Posts: 85
Good point you made. On our trip up to MI in July from GA I paid particular attention to RV dealers on the way up. IMHO I did not see any "shortage" at all. Lots filled with units. So I do question all this hype on shortages. Maybe it is the same folks who took all the coins?
__________________
2018 Greyhawk 30XP Prestige
2016 75th Anniv Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Hers)
2019 Ford Raptor SCREW in beautiful Velocity Blue (Mine ALL Mine)
2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Mine)
10 Year old boy (who ever claims him at the moment) ;)
Jim_in_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: AZ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
We have all seen posts about the run on RVs and how dealer inventory is low while demand is high and manufacturers cannot keep the dealers supplied. Is this fact or is it fiction and a ploy to escalate prices?

We took our Accolade to Entegra/Jayco factory service this past weekend for a two week service appointment. While we were there one thing was noticeable and that was the number of completed RVs sitting in the manufacturer's yards. Jayco, KZ RV and others all had a bunch of RVs sitting in yards ready for delivery. Now what we saw were Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels with very few completed motorhomes. This was true for Middlebury and Goshen. We did not drive up to Elkhart to look around.

Going in and out of Middlebury I saw two trucks leaving with deliveries. One was a flatbed carrying 2 small TTs and the other was a pickup pulling a FW.

Makes one think about what is happening.
The problem is, your observations, although first hand, are somewhat narrow and anecdotal, as are almost all observations and opinions on the topic. But not that I disagree with you per se.

I think the 'shortage' was more a blip and is probably already started to normalize. It's also why I don't see a 'flood' of the market on the other side of the pandemic, but rather a metered introduction of used inventory.

Regarding the lack of MH: One possibility is manufacturers have focused initial resuming of production on lower cost models, since those were the first to be purchased during the run. Looking at the same lots on a month may shopw a different breakdown %.

Caveat: not an RV industry expert.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Shokyle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cheyenne
Posts: 264
When I asked my local dealer when the 2121 would arrived I was told they are having a hard time getting parts. They manafacture has mostly complete units sitting waiting on little things.
__________________
2018 eagle ht 29.5 bhds
2016 f350 Lariat 6.7 powerstroke
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chester
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
When I asked my local dealer when the 2121 would arrived I was told they are having a hard time getting parts. They manafacture has mostly complete units sitting waiting on little things.
Two separate areas of the storage yards, incomplete and complete and you can tell by how they are prepped sitting there.

I agree with that the issue may be in transportation because there are numerous bill boards around the area for transportation firms looking for pickup owners to deliver units. I believe the dealers and not the manufacturers are responsible for delivery, but I could be mistaken.

I just thought it was interesting.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,466
I think that the reason there are fewer motorhomes versus trailers is because currently there is an influx of new buyers coming into the RVing world, purchasing their first trailers and getting into it (likely over their heads) for the first time.

Most people opt for a sub $30K trailer to get started rather than a $100K+ motorhome.
__________________
2013 F-150 EcoBoost MaxTow, Roush tuned (415hp 506tq), lifted on 33s, R.A.S.
2013 Jay Flight 28BHS Elite (Equalizer 10K hitch)
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 146
https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/r...ents-june-2020

This is a good source for the reported wholesale shipments. You can see production was effected in March, April and May. YTD production is down 18% overall.

If you team the lower production numbers for this year with more people buying to provide vacation / travel options, the result is a shortage of retail units available.

If you look at the reports and trends tab it is a good source of industry information.
__________________

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 690
Anecdotal, yes. But this is our local dealership Jayco portion of the lot. Only one 2021 Eagle HT.Click image for larger version

Name:	empty lot.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	62404 There are normally way more there, and they are always jammed together.

The Keystone Cougar portion is mostly full, but they were definitely all the lower end models. Not a single dual pane window over there. They were all single pane sliders. That was not the case last year. Could be a parts shortage.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 931
A B C.
Anything
But
Cougar.
This are for people that don't know any better.
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chula Vista
Posts: 42
Do you think the fact they're going to the new Ford V8 chasis might be an reason for the slower rollout of MHs?
__________________
2020 Entegra Esteem 29V
Rich 92154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 9,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 92154 View Post
Do you think the fact they're going to the new Ford V8 chasis might be an reason for the slower rollout of MHs?
May be a chassis shortage since FORD (Detroit Chassis) also shut down production for a couple months, not necessarily engine specific.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Chester
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
May be a chassis shortage since FORD (Detroit Chassis) also shut down production for a couple months, not necessarily engine specific.
That’s not the case. There are a bunch of F53 chassis sitting in Jayco’s lot waiting for the shop. I also saw Seneca and Accolade chassis ( about 25 or 30). I did not see any Transit or E series cutaways but they could have been in another area I did not see.

BTW, the F53 chassis is stored with the steering wheel, instrument cluster and engine shrink wrapped so if Ford claims there is a chassis storage issue for that 7.3 engine it’s because of how they packaged them for shipment not how Jayco is storing them.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 9,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Thatís not the case. There are a bunch of F53 chassis sitting in Jaycoís lot waiting for the shop. I also saw Seneca and Accolade chassis ( about 25 or 30). I did not see any Transit or E series cutaways but they could have been in another area I did not see.
Then definitely not related to the engine switch. Many of the cutaways usually go to be stretched before they arrive at the plant so they may be stored there.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Lowell
Posts: 10
Our Jayco dealer told us they only had 2 new units to sell. We're not getting new because shortage of refridgerator parts. New units were sitting at manufacturer waiting for refrigerators.
rmratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 9,557
Not only sales, but service centers jammed

Another article from RV BUSINESS about booming sales, shortage and jammed service centers.

https://rvbusiness.com/report-dealer...enters-jammed/
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,740
Only two local dealers and their lots are full of RVs and Campers. They are within 1/2 mile of each other and on the same road. Neither offer good deals and neither of my Jaycos were bought locally.
__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:08 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 3,371
I stopped at an RV One dealer in Albany, NY last week to pick up a part and their lot was virtually empty. Passing by a Camping World location on the way home it was the same. I'm sure the factories are a bit behind in production due to the shut down but it is looking very much like a combination of a delivery and production issue based on the info in this thread.
__________________
2016 28BHBE
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Marineco Detachable Shore Cord
CRE 3000 Equalizer / Wet Bolt Kit
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2016 Ford F250 6.2 Gasser
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor
Marcm157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,740
RV One in Albany is where I special ordered my second camper. I wonder if the turn around time on special orders is longer than it used to be? Anybody order a camper recently?
__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.