Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #1

Warranty work from a dealer trailer was not purchased from

From what I have heard, at least from dealerships, is that warranty work for a trailer that was not purchased from their dealership often takes quite some time. Wanting to find out how much truth there is in this. I have heard from some dealers that warranty work could take as much as 2 to 3 months if I didn't purchase the trailer from them versus several weeks if I did. Does anybody have any real world experience with this? Or is this just a line of BS in order for me to purchase the trailer from them? Thank you in advance.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #2

My dealer works me right in but I have purchased 3 units from him over the years. Those who have not purchased from him have had to wait.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Site Team

There are to many different situations to make a hard and fast statement. That said, there are many factors in play. the dealers have a obligation to take care of their customers first and most do. Many rv dealerships are getting very busy due to the rapid increase in rv sales.

Best thing for me was to buy local but many claim large sales discounts. All this has to be weighed in the decision.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #4

"I have heard from some dealers that warranty work could take as much as 2 to 3 months if I didn't purchase the trailer from them versus several weeks if I did. Does anybody have any real world experience with this?"

I'd say that is a true statement. All companies want to protect their customer base and do that by protecting their customer service to those that are loyal to them. I think the consumer wants a network like car dealerships for a certain make of vehicle, but the RV business is a far smaller industry.

I think you will find that the dealer you purchased from is going to be the one that is going to try to keep you coming back.

We know that any concerns we have with our unit will be handled by the dealer we purchased from faster and better than a competitor to them. Loyalty works both ways.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedelen View Post
From what I have heard, at least from dealerships, is that warranty work for a trailer that was not purchased from their dealership often takes quite some time.
Some dealers won't even work on units not purchased there. I know our dealer, which has 4 stores/shops, said "NO" to units they didn't sell since they were so busy. As was mentioned don't be surprised if you are put at the very back of the line.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #6

The GM at my dealership told me straight up that his customers get priority over people who didn't buy their RV from his dealership. He just has too many trailers coming and going, too much warranty work going on.

Last time I was there, he also mentioned that warranty work is mostly a loss for him. Apparently many manufacturers are getting tighter about what they will and will not pay for when it comes to warranty work, and they apparently are slow payers too. He deals with several makes.

I bought my trailer there, so I never have a problem. I'm also willing to provide labor wherever I can, so that lessens his burden and gets my problem fixed faster.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Ok everyone thanks for all the info so far. Sucks for me as our local Reno Jayco dealer does't even carry the Eagle HT line that I want, and he said they can't even order it.

The closest dealer is over the hill in Sacramento. It's only a 2 hr drive so not bad if need to go there for warranty work if it means getting the trailer back much quicker....vs the dealer down the street from my house, which will do warranty work for me, but with the unfortunate wait times.

Or I can save $2000 and make the trip down to Riverside, CA which is an 8 hr. drive from where I'm at.

I guess the question is should i pay $34k from the dealer that is only 2 hours away, or pay $32k from the dealer that is 8 hrs away. Obviously I would most likely never go to the dealer that is 8 hrs away for warranty work....
Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Ok everyone thanks for all the info so far. Sucks for me as our local Reno Jayco dealer does't even carry the Eagle HT line that I want, and he said they can't even order it.

The closest dealer is over the hill in Sacramento. It's only a 2 hr drive so not bad if need to go there for warranty work if it means getting the trailer back much quicker....vs the dealer down the street from my house, which will do warranty work for me, but with the unfortunate wait times.

Or I can save $2000 and make the trip down to Riverside, CA which is an 8 hr. drive from where I'm at.

I guess the question is should i pay $34k from the dealer that is only 2 hours away, or pay $32k from the dealer that is 8 hrs away. Obviously I would most likely never go to the dealer that is 8 hrs away for warranty work....

This has been discussed around the forum somewhat. How "handy" are you? If you're willing/able to take on some of the items that might be considered "warranty" work yourself, then you might be better served saving the cash up front and buying from the dealer who is further away. If you're not so handy, or unwilling to learn about it and delve into repairs on your own (not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on your comfort level) and you anticipate needing the dealer to repair everything, perhaps you buy close to home to make access easier.

Or, perhaps you're somewhere in between, like me. I'm willing to take apart most anything and learn how to fix it, but I do have my limits. I had only one instance during my 2-year warranty where I wasn't comfortable doing the repair myself, and my dealership was very responsive that time (about 1 hr away from me). The repair took like 6 weeks, but it was okay because it was during our busy season at work, so I told him to take his time.

The $2K saved on the purchase price will cover a lot of repairs outside warranty especially if you're willing to provide the labor. And if it's something big that you can't do, you can always bite the bullet and endure the wait times or tote it the 8 hrs back to the selling dealer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

I would suggest that a dealer who is "too busy" with customer product to take care of other requests on a timely basis might be selling a sub-par product if they are all bringing in their product for warranty work. At least, that's that way I might be inclined to look at it. If that's the case, then you probably don't want to take your trailer in to that dealer anyway, and you might not want to buy a trailer from him that needs so much warranty work.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

I think this is a blanket statement and frankly unfair to many dealers. I purchased my camper at a large discount RV dealer and have it serviced locally by a different shop. They never blinked and handled the warranty work quickly (well as quickly as Jayco allows given there horrible parts distribution system). The servicing dealer said that in two years after the warranty expires he will have earned my business and he is right, he did.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
I would suggest that a dealer who is "too busy" with customer product to take care of other requests on a timely basis might be selling a sub-par product if they are all bringing in their product for warranty work.
It's not all warranty work. Not everybody does their own annual service work or general repair work That all plays into the picture as to how busy a dealer is.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's not all warranty work. Not everybody does their own annual service work or general repair work That all plays into the picture as to how busy a dealer is.
+1

And the dealer I mentioned deals several different brands and types of units ranging from PUPs to Class Cs to huge 5ers and everything in between. They all have their own challenges, problems and warranties. Add to that the regular service/maintenance type stuff and new unit PDIs that can go as long as 2 hrs or more, and you've got quite a lot of traffic really quick. On top of all that, RVs are selling at an all-time high. During peak season, you couldn't hire enough techs to keep up, AND good ones are hard to find.

Also, warranty work doesn't net the dealer a whole lot of money in most cases. It takes time to sort out the issue, make the claim, get the claim approved, get the parts, and then maybe get paid for the trouble (who knows how long that takes). Much of that process is out of the dealers' hands and depends largely on the manufacturer. Some manufacturers handle warranty claims better than others as well. And some dealers handle warranty claims with manufacturers more efficiently too. So I can see the hesitation to deal with a unit they didn't sell.

Of course, there's another side to that coin; you can quickly earn the loyalty of a new customer if you are able to address their issue quickly and efficiently regardless if they bought the trailer from you. But you have to have the capacity to deal with the added business, and most of the dealerships (at least the ones I've seen) are stretched thin as it is.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 12-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #13

Remember, by its nature, warranty work takes longer than other work anyway ... the wait is because it requires factory approval prior to ordering parts. It pays to do SOME business with a dealer if you can ... and get to know a few of the people who work there. For the OP, the Warranty Manager is located in the French Camp (Stockton) location, should you not mind a slightly longer drive; she was very helpful to us and once we got the call all had been approved and the part delivered - it was a 1-day drop-off/pick-up event for us even though we're an hour away. If you work with French Camp, we enjoy camping near-by at RiverPoint Landing.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
I think this is a blanket statement and frankly unfair to many dealers. I purchased my camper at a large discount RV dealer and have it serviced locally by a different shop. They never blinked and handled the warranty work quickly (well as quickly as Jayco allows given there horrible parts distribution system). The servicing dealer said that in two years after the warranty expires he will have earned my business and he is right, he did.
X2 Purchased from the big Jayco dealer in Middlebury In near the factory. Great dealer, great price. Guess you have to access yourself how often you expect to have to seek warrantee work. In my case I took my White Hawk in a total of one [1] time at the very end of the 2 year period to get a few things taken care of before the warrantee expired. Took it to the closest Jayco dealer who couldn't have been more helpful. Ask me to email in pictures of my front cap that needed repaired and the dealer used the pic and my email list to get Jayco to preauthorize "ALL" my items including replacing my 40" tv that had a minor problem. When the authorization came thru he called and ask me to bring it in. 3 weeks later it was done. Front cap looks great and I have a brand new 42" tv over the fireplace.

This dealer never once said anything negative about me as a non purchaser. Guess he wants my business going forward.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
X2 Purchased from the big Jayco dealer in Middlebury In near the factory. Great dealer, great price. Guess you have to access yourself how often you expect to have to seek warrantee work. In my case I took my White Hawk in a total of one [1] time at the very end of the 2 year period to get a few things taken care of before the warrantee expired. Took it to the closest Jayco dealer who couldn't have been more helpful. Ask me to email in pictures of my front cap that needed repaired and the dealer used the pic and my email list to get Jayco to preauthorize "ALL" my items including replacing my 40" tv that had a minor problem. When the authorization came thru he called and ask me to bring it in. 3 weeks later it was done. Front cap looks great and I have a brand new 42" tv over the fireplace.

This dealer never once said anything negative about me as a non purchaser. Guess he wants my business going forward.

I have always thought that approach would yield more potential future customers then the heavy handed scare tactic of "if you do/did not buy it here take it some place else for service".
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I have always thought that approach would yield more potential future customers then the heavy handed scare tactic of "if you do/did not buy it here take it some place else for service".
But if the dealer doesn't have the ability/capacity/techs to take care of those who bought from him in a timely manner(because he takes in non purchasers) they will loose more business then they gain.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #17

Not every RV requires loads of warranty work either. Both my TT only had one warranty claim each. The first TT was a defective Jensen CD/DVD player and the second had an issue with the FW connection between the two tanks. Both were very easy quick fixes.

Some have been less fortunate I realize and have lots of problems. Personally I think they are fewer in number, but much more vocal as they seek resolution. I would be too but ultimately I think the majority of Jayco RV are pretty well assembled.

If my choice was 2hrs or 8 hrs to the dealer I would let price way more heavily. If it was 15min vs 8 hrs I would let distance hold more value.

Hopefully you will get a trouble free unit. If not, and you can't get local warranty work in a reasonable timeframe, Jayco has been known to approve no selling RV repair facilities to make warranty repairs.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #18

Quote:

We bought our White Hawk at RV's of Sacramento and we live in northern Nevada as well. Our trailer needs some carpet replaced where there are cuts on the factory edge. I was considering taking it to Sprads in Reno but I think I'll just tow it over the hill to Sac so I can get it fixed before spring, weather permitting
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeneck View Post
We bought our White Hawk at RV's of Sacramento and we live in northern Nevada as well. Our trailer needs some carpet replaced where there are cuts on the factory edge. I was considering taking it to Sprads in Reno but I think I'll just tow it over the hill to Sac so I can get it fixed before spring, weather permitting
Ok good to know. I have heard good things about their dealership so I'm leaning that way.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #20

Thanks everyone for all the good advice so far, its been very helpful!!!