Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Well my thoughts on my summer camping

Hello all!
Well as if you’ve read any of my posts you know we bought our first modern rv last March it was used at a lake only and was just driven to storage to lake and back. It was brand new in many ways ... it was as clean as brand new . A elderly couple bought it to park at there lot on the lake so they didn’t use it much.I bought a brand new Ford F 150 crew cab tow package eco boost V6 twin turbos the works heated seats mirrors back up camera u name it . Well despite a rocky start of the camping season dealing with covid we got out a bunch we started out close to home I hadn’t towed that big of a camper before so I took it easy . The truck did wonderful I couldn’t tell it was back there . No power loss ... I could and did drag it on the interstate at 70 mph ... if the wind wasn’t blowing if the wind was hitting the sides I had too slow too about 62 if wind was above 15 mph ... it just felt wobbly at 70 mph with wind and that maybe my lack of experience... I did lose my grandmother in-law in October and to save space and avoid hotel bills and boarding our dogs I took off in 25 mph winds gusting to 32 ... a nightmare lol I was scared to death those big gusts were insane and when a semi passed it was like they roped me and pulled me over to their trucks lol 😂 holy shipmate I was scared of dying . I believe I need new tires and I will be adding LT mich tires this spring ... I don’t know if I’m going up a size or not she already sits so tall I’m not sure a extra inch is needed but I’ll ask that over in the advice me chat ! The Westinghouse 4200 watt generator worked more then perfect was super quiet and we had power plus we let another rv plug into it many times when we were camping in areas without power . Over all everything was amazing but the bed I am 6’4” 300 pounds and I have too bend knees to sleep or swing my feet out of the bedroom wish that wall was 4 inches further way from the end of bed . We had zero problems except they had changed the thermostat to a digital and it didn’t work right it you put it on the wall the furnace kicked on and cycled the heat part but the blower constantly blew we got one that was recommended and it works great ! Hot water heater worked great but it’s noisy kicking on and off ! We went on a 750 mile trip out and a 1100 mile road trip home and it was great ! We did the Walmart , Cracker Barrel overnight parking in towns that didn’t have camp grounds ... we were prepared for everything and it all went smoothly. We did get a broken black water cap not sure if a rock hit it or maybe I drug it on the concrete drive somewhere. But we stopped for groceries at a fleet farm center and they had one for a few bucks ! I winterized it pretty sure I got it right common sense says if pink stuff came out and filled the pee trap it’s protected I wasn’t sure I got every drip of water outta the grey and black tanks but I’m sure there wasn’t more then a gallon I emptied them at a dump station and then when I was home I really tried too wash out the tanks with bleach water and the pressure washer on low I need a plumbers scope lol too see inside I just want it as clean as I can get it lol 😂! My wife discovered kayaking and I had forgotten her passion for fishing see she is a beautiful nursing practitioner who has been working a extra 12 hour shift every week since this covid stuff began and has made planning a must . So she is home and ready ... she works for our lovely Government and is mandated to put in extra hours ... and at one put she wasn’t aloud too leave her state ... which made our travel plans change . But with her pto and vacation time we will have the whole 2021 summer off or maybe the 2022 summer if this covid crap ruins this upcoming summer.
Steve D.
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Congratulations! You've acquired a fair amount of experience in a short period of time. It sounds like you've had as good a time as can be expected this year. Here's to a better 2021!

I can relate to the bed shortage, although I'm only 6'1", and a short queen corner bed. It seems like either my head or feet end up touching a wall.

I salute your wife for being an essential front line worker. That has to take a lot of stamina putting in those hours day in and day out.

We tow with the same TV, and find around 62-63 mph keeps the stress down, especially in the wind. It's a full time job watching the mirror for overtaking semis, and steering wheel correction when they start to pull you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #3

I notice you are having problems in winds over 15 mph. Do you have a WDH with sway control. Not familiar with your rig but the Andersen does well for me in situations where professional delivery drivers pulled off the road and I asked why. If the Andersen is too small there are a bunch of heavier duty brands that should make that trailer feel better on the road.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Kudos to You and Especially to your Wife for being a Front Line Solder. I am Curious also as to type of WDH you are Using? Stay Healthy BS.
Rear Air Shocks. Ride Rite. 10 PSI.
Hensley Arrow.
G.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote