Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

A new Jayco 22J owner...

Over the years I have had tents, a tent trailer, a sleep-in van, two campers, five trailers (included in a rental company), a fifth wheel (in a supposed permanent retirement until the owners sold and new owners kicked out all permanents), so I have had some experiences.

Purchased my new (2018) 22J last August. Had Lippert Self-Leveling Jacks, Furion Oven and Dish/King Sat Dish installed. Now looking forward to supporting this group.
SoulReflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #2

WE HAVE A 2019 22J AND REPLACED THE STOCK FORD FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS WITH ROADMASTER UNITS, ALSO REPLACED FRONT STEERING STABILIZER WITH ROADMASTER STABILIZER. MADE A INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCE IN RIDE AND CONTROL. HAD ALIGNMENT DONE TO SET CASTER TO 5+. wife drives it and is happy with the control and ride..did internal mods also.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
WE HAVE A 2019 22J AND REPLACED THE STOCK FORD FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS WITH ROADMASTER UNITS, ALSO REPLACED FRONT STEERING STABILIZER WITH ROADMASTER STABILIZER. MADE A INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCE IN RIDE AND CONTROL. HAD ALIGNMENT DONE TO SET CASTER TO 5+. wife drives it and is happy with the control and ride..did internal mods also.
Thanks, I will check into the Roadmaster units. Seems like a lot of expense. What exactly were the benefit(s)?

What were you internal mods?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReflection View Post
Thanks, I will check into the Roadmaster units. What were you internal mods?

Also check out Hellwig sway bars. Many of us have installed them too.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #5

we put a 12"x48" mirror on the inside of bathroom door with 3m extreme tape. also put piano hinges on storage panels under dinette seats, no need to remove them for access to area. carry a spare tire wrapped in plastic bag and stored in overhead cab bed, no rim. added beach/bath towel rack to rear bumper, it clapses and stored in bumper. added shelf in large outside storage area under slide out area. completely sprayed under carriage with product called fluid film to protect metal frame also did drain holes in door s and rocker panels. will try to send pictures.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #6

Benefits, no swy in turns much better steering control, difference is nite and day over stock ford sway bars and steering stabilizing control. Money well spent. Thinking of replacing shocks, but first plan to run with fw tank full, which was suggested since tank sits just forward of rear axle, to put some weight on rear suspension, e450 chassis is very stiff with minimal load.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #7

Wink

Quote:
Benefits, no swy in turns much better steering control, difference is nite and day over stock ford sway bars and steering stabilizing control. Money well spent. Thinking of replacing shocks, but first plan to run with fw tank full, which was suggested since tank sits just forward of rear axle, to put some weight on rear suspension, e450 chassis is very stiff with minimal load.
What??? You mean the "J-Ride" isn't all it's cracked up to be??
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
What??? You mean the "J-Ride" isn't all it's cracked up to be??
Ha.... Nope.... but better than what's on a Chateau...
Old 03-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #9

j-ride on redhawk 22j. 2019 model, has standard ford sway bars front and rear also steering control are all inadequate for the weight of the rv body on the ford chassis. that is why we changed to Loadmaster sway and steering components. we purchased the components from E-TRAILER, great people to do business with.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
j-ride on redhawk 22j. 2019 model, has standard ford sway bars front and rear also steering control are all inadequate for the weight of the rv body on the ford chassis. that is why we changed to Loadmaster sway and steering components. we purchased the components from E-TRAILER, great people to do business with.
Thanks again, I'll have to save up my pennies...I just read somewhere that if you own a MH, anything you want/have to do to it starts at $1K
Old 03-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #11

New22j owner

Some mods/photos
Attached Thumbnails
HINGE.jpeg   HITCH.jpeg   MIRROR.jpeg   SHELF.jpeg   SHELF1.jpeg  

Old 03-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Thanks again, I'll have to save up my pennies...I just read somewhere that if you own a MH, anything you want/have to do to it starts at $1K
Ha , ha... and that seems to be true... It's just like a boat, the two best days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it... also, just like a boat, which is a hole in the water you throw money in (yes, I've been there), a RV is wheels on the ground you throw money in...

But on the bright side, you can't take that money with you when you go, so just make it easy on your executors, and spend it now!
Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha , ha... and that seems to be true... It's just like a boat, the two best days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it... also, just like a boat, which is a hole in the water you throw money in (yes, I've been there), a RV is wheels on the ground you throw money in...

But on the bright side, you can't take that money with you when you go, so just make it easy on your executors, and spend it now!
Yes, I also have a 16' Jetcraft with two OB's so I am spending it now.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #14

Bumper photo is a towel rack that fits on the 2 bars mounted on the bumper.stores nicely in bumper inside a plastic drain tube. The pictures of the shelves are velcro mounted inside the large storage area outside and under bedroom slide out. Weber gril is also store there
Old 03-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #15

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #16

Road master front and rear sway bars $375 each and steering stabilizer around $375 plus installation. Not willing to install myself at age 78 so labor for all 3 was $300. Major difference in class c
Old 03-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #17

Rv roof repair tape

I retaped all roof seams on our new 2019 22j and then used dicor sealant around tape edges. Did this also on our previous tt, never had a water leak. Used (quick roof extreme tape) avail online at walmarts. Cheaper than eternabond but in my opinion works as well.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Road master front and rear sway bars $375 each and steering stabilizer around $375 plus installation. Not willing to install myself at age 78 so labor for all 3 was $300. Major difference in class c
Could you tell me where you found the stabilizers for $375?
Old 03-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Could you tell me where you found the stabilizers for $375?
Amazon for $229.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-RS...3339467&sr=8-3

Don't forget the mounting brackets either...
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Amazon for $229.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-RS...3339467&sr=8-3

Don't forget the mounting brackets either...
Thanks again...do you recall the model number of the front and rear sway bars?

Also, I posted a request on another thread for comments on whether flat towing a GMC 2500HD 4x4 would be advisable with my J22. Haven't got any responses. Thought I would ask the question in this thread...