Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #41
Site Team

Installed a new one today.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:27 PM   #42

This thread is four years old but still timely.

Funny that Sunday morning I uncovered the White Hawk then got on the roof to measure the broken skylight above the shower. As I measured, I heard an occasional "tweet tweet". I figured it was just birds in the nearby birdhouse.

When I went in the rig, I hear the "tweet tweet" again, then realize it's the smoke alarm telling me it's dying.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #43

I just did that too. The price was definitely right. RV stuff is so pricey at times, but no difference! 🤣
TiffanySass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #44

I test mine a couple times a year. Last year, ours died. Installed a new one that has a 10 year battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #45

Speaking of smoke alarms, I have a Jayflight SLX BH154 2017 and the smoke alarm was chirping, I thought it was just an indication it needed a new battery, I replaced it but still kept chirping every 30 seconds; removed the whole smoke alarm and now while the smoke alarm is not chirping, something in the area of the smoke alarm IS chirping but I don't know what! There is a round thing on the ceiling by where the smoke alarm was but I do not know what it is. It is built-in. I could post a picture if I knew how! anyone have any ideas? This is my first travel trailer, bought it from the original owner who took meticulous care of it.
RetVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #46
RPR

Is the outer covering of the little round thing removable? Will it twist a little and come loose. Have you called the previous owner?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:31 PM   #47

Smoke Alarm-?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Is the outer covering of the little round thing removable? Will it twist a little and come loose. Have you called the previous owner?
Hi thanks for replying. The outer covering is NOT removeable except if you unscrew it, it looks like some kind of bulb(?) covered with a metal mesh screen. I have since posting, found out that what is chirping is the carbon monoxide/propane gas indicator and it is flashing red-red, green-green, which according to the information on the front of it, means "end of life"! Now, can I order a replacement from Jayco do you think and I assume it has to be professionally installed?
No I haven't contacted the previous owner, I hope I still have his contact information. Thanks again for being a group I can turn to for help!
Old 09-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #48
RPR

Order one on Amazon. Take it loose and you will see the wires. Specify for Rv in your search. Replaced ours recently. Found exact match
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:13 PM   #49

Mine expired at 6 years but my home one is over 12 years old!
I replaced mine, 2 screws and two wires so very simple to do.

So what was that thing in the ceiling??
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:31 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetVet View Post
Hi thanks for replying. The outer covering is NOT removeable except if you unscrew it, it looks like some kind of bulb(?) covered with a metal mesh screen. I have since posting, found out that what is chirping is the carbon monoxide/propane gas indicator and it is flashing red-red, green-green, which according to the information on the front of it, means "end of life"! Now, can I order a replacement from Jayco do you think and I assume it has to be professionally installed?
No I haven't contacted the previous owner, I hope I still have his contact information. Thanks again for being a group I can turn to for help!
The propane/CO detectors usually reach their end of life at about 5 years, and may expire in the wee hours of the morning while on a trip out of state. Ask me how I know this! That's why we always carry a spare one, and put spade terminals on the two wires so replacement is easier. Replacement is a DYI, and takes 10 minutes.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The propane/CO detectors usually reach their end of life at about 5 years, and may expire in the wee hours of the morning while on a trip out of state. Ask me how I know this! That's why we always carry a spare one, and put spade terminals on the two wires so replacement is easier. Replacement is a DYI, and takes 10 minutes.
Thanks everyone! I still do not know what the thing in the ceiling is, but will post if I find out!
Old 09-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #52
Site Team

By your description, a round thing with a mesh cover sounds like the radio speakers in our trailer. I'll send you a PM with the process to post pictures here.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #53
Site Team

Seems I remember something about some rigs having a room temperature sensor tied into one of the newer monitoring systems in newer rv's which was located on the ceiling?

or my memory failed me again. I searched but found nothing on it.

may be this thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-84989-2.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #54

Detectors expire and must be replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Replace it.

Detectors of all types in an RV should be replaced every 5-10 years regardless of operation or condition.

We replaced all ours CO, Smoke, Propane, this year in our new to us 2008.
Same here. We bought a used 2016 Redhawk this summer. The first thing I did was look at the smoke and CO/Propane detector. They both "tested" fine, but I replaced them for that exact reason.
ArthurH is offline   Reply With Quote