Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Check your smoke alarm

This post is geared more towards the new or first time owner. Don't assume your smoke alarm is fully functional when you take delivery of your new RV. It's easily missed during PDI. Open the cover and check for the plastic tab at the 9v battery. (See pic below) Make sure it's removed. I would also suggest replacing the battery every spring when your getting prepared for the season. Maybe a moderator could Sticky this for the benefit of the first timers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1331.jpg  
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Test the detector each week and before each trip as the sticker posted at the detector clearly states.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

I have to remove the battery when we are using the TT. If the stove or oven is in use, even if there is no visible smoke, it goes off. Very sensitive and annoying.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I have to remove the battery when we are using the TT. If the stove or oven is in use, even if there is no visible smoke, it goes off. Very sensitive and annoying.
Replace it.

Detectors of all types in an RV should be replaced every 5-10 years regardless of operation or condition.

We replaced all ours CO, Smoke, Propane, this year in our new to us 2008.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

It's only 3 months old as is the new TT. Bought the TT new in Sept. and it went off on our first outing. The wife's a pretty good cook too.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #6

Ours gets tested at every meal.

"Smoke Detector" AKA "Kitchen Timer"

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

I've actually added one in both bedrooms. I rather have more protection than less especially when your a heavy sleeper.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Ours gets tested at every meal.

"Smoke Detector" AKA "Kitchen Timer"
Ours too! Our "Smoke Detector" AKA "Toast Detector"

Ours also falls off the ceiling when going down the road. Of course the slide is in when it falls so it ends up on top of the slide when it falls. Of course the first few times we missed it so it ended up outside or wedged into the slide seal. We now put it in a drawer as part of our departure SOP and putting it up part of our arrival SOP.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

I replaced ours with a model designed for kitchens. It is a little less sensitive to smoke but more to flame and has a silence button when it does go off that shuts it up for 5-10 minutes unless it senses another big increase in danger.

It hasn't (yet) gone off since I replaced it, but I'm not sure we've made toast inside since then either. We prefer cooking on the outdoor stove.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
I replaced ours with a model designed for kitchens. It is a little less sensitive to smoke but more to flame and has a silence button when it does go off that shuts it up for 5-10 minutes unless it senses another big increase in danger.

It hasn't (yet) gone off since I replaced it, but I'm not sure we've made toast inside since then either. We prefer cooking on the outdoor stove.
I've always wondered why they don't put that type of smoke detector in RVs - the ones with the 5 minute pause button. Ours ALWAYS goes off when making toast. If there was a pause button, you push it and it silences the detector for
5 minutes or so and then it re-engages.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

You made me look.
Sure enough, the plastic tab was still there.
Took delivery in January 2016.

Good thread.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #12

I also wonder why nobody makes a smoke detector for RV's, like the CO detectors, that are 12v powered so we don't have to worry about batteries.

Such smoke detectors exist - they are designed to work with 12v and 24v commercial alarm systems. A few models come with sounders built in the unit so they should stand alone. Problem is, being commercial products, they ain't cheap.

I know someone is going to say "What's the big deal, you just check the battery once a year." But safety equipment should be as fool proof as possible and hardwiring to the 12v system (with a small LiIo rechargable battery backup for during power failures) would just make sense. As would an end of live indication to replace after 5 years of use.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #13

DW checked the smoke alarm cooking a gourmet dinner for me last night. It works just fine.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #14

Forgot to take the battery out before winter cover-up and storage. Listened to it beep for dead battery until we could clear off enough snow to get inside (it was a popup). Annoyed us and on quiet nights, our neighbors. We now take out the battery and leave the little door/lid open so we don't forget to put in a new one in the spring.

PS those used batteries are fine as backup batteries for our clocks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #15

Funny just checked mine after two years no battery from factory!lol
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Forgot to take the battery out before winter cover-up and storage. Listened to it beep for dead battery until we could clear off enough snow to get inside (it was a popup). Annoyed us and on quiet nights, our neighbors. We now take out the battery and leave the little door/lid open so we don't forget to put in a new one in the spring.

PS those used batteries are fine as backup batteries for our clocks.
I too take the battery out, and leave the door open.

Don't forget to check the ones in the house too. Did that with the kid last week, and two of our new, less than a year old hardwired, with a 10 year Li battery, would not signal an alarm.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #17

Smoke Alarm Battery

About eight months after we bought the Jayco, I was looking in the "Jayco blue bag" and discovered a 9V battery in it.... Great dealer prep...
(Shame on me!)
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
There is an old but still active thread about people's dumbest rv moves. You need to list this one under your name. Replace it, it is there for a reason. Use the exhaust fan when cooking, that might help.

Here is a true story. A few years ago after renting a houseboat here on Dale Hollow Lake a couple was found by others on a friends boat next to them. One died later of CO poisoning. The family sue the marina that rented the boat. During a deposition ahead of the trial, they were ask about the CO detector that is on all rental boats. The survivor stated that they had removed the battery because it kept going off. That law suit did not go forward.

I know this is about a smoke detector, but the end result could easily be the same.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #19

RE: CO detector; as the story goes, an RVer returned his new rig to the selling dealer complaining to the service manager that every time the went camping, the CO detector would go off.

The service techs checked the CO detector and could find no problem with it. The service manager asked the customer exactly when the detector would go off. The man thought about it for a few minutes and said it was always on Saturday night about an hour or two after dinner. The service manager asked what they had for dinner those Saturdays and the customer stated, "steak, we always grill a steak on Saturday night when we camp."

The service manager asked what they did right after dinner and he said he threw the steak bone to his black lab and then usually took a walk before he settled down for TV or reading a book. The service manager thought for a minute and asked where the dog's bed was located in the rig. The man replied, "right next to the CO detector, why do you ask?"

I think y'all know the answer here; doggy methane!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #20

Good AAdvice!
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote