Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

New Jayco Owner / Unhappy Camper

Hello All,

I was very excited when I and the family took out our new 2013 Jayco Whitehawk 28 DSBH camping for the first time this past weekend. We traveled about 1.5 hours away from home (Abbotsford) to Anacortes, Washington. Set up went smoothly but I quickly realized there were a few issues. The LP and ELECTRIC Hot Water options did not heat water. I checked the pressure relief valve and water sprayed out so I knew that water was entering the tank. I called my sales guy at the RV dealership who was apologetic but stated "this is why we tell our customers to not travel too far the first trip" (WTF and no they never told us that!!!!) So we troubleshooted the issue most of the day on Saturday. I went as far as crawling into the rear hatch where the tank was located (a larger person would not fit in this opening) to unscrew the balsa wood housing that the tank sat behind. The valves were all open properly with the bypass closed so no issue there. They were unable to tell me why the hot water tank was not working so luckily we had our inlaws camping next door in their new Keystone Springdale. Our next issue was the furnace did not work. The heat would come on and then shut off 5 minutes later. Then finally to top it all off, the head of the master bed broke and fell into the front storage compartment while I was sleeping (I was the only one laying on the bed and I weigh 230 lbs ?!?!?) I also noted that the slide out, when it is brought all the way in, the right top corner touches the ceiling inside. We will be taking our TT into the dealership today to have the issues addressed. I will be looking at a new Whitehawk on the lot to compare and I hope we did not get a lemon although it seems we did.

Anyhow I will keep ya posted on how the repairs go.

Paul

pjsteve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF, Paul; but sorry to hear you're having issues with a new Whitehawk. When we picked our 27DSRL up from Indiana RV Connection April 3, the PDI took about 90 minutes, and part of that was seeing that everything did in fact work properly, including furnace, water heater, fridge, etc. While my DW and I haven't made our first away-from-home outing, I've continued testing things on the trailer while fixing it up the way we want. Thus far, everything seems to be working properly.

Good luck with getting your trailer road-worthy again in a speedy fashion!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #3

Hey Mike

Thanks for your comments...I am hoping the fix is quick but I would rather it get done properly than a rush job. I told them I want it back better than new as you spend alot of money on these things. They said they are going to have a crew look over the entire unit for other flaws as it seems our trailer may be a lemon.

I would hope that we would get a new trailer if the structural issues were significant cause I don't want this thing falling apart after the warranty is over.

Paul
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

I'm sorry to hear your first outing wasn't so great. Before we take any first trip (be it for the season or when we purchased our new units) we always run everything multiple times before leaving town (heater, oven, stove, hot water, awning, slide, AC, fan, etc.). We even camp out in the driveway for a weekend just to make sure everything for the season is working properly. Many folks on here suggest doing a first trip close to home or in your driveway in case issues like you had come up.

There was a thread here recently about the 5 minute cycle with a heater. You should do a seach and see what you can find from old threads. Hope the repairs are made quickly so you can head out on a new trip.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #5

Well we dropped the trailer off at the rv dealer today. My wife came with me as she wanted to speak with the Manager with regards to the quality, or lack thereof, of our trailer. The manager walked through the trailer with us and did not seem to phased by what he saw and said he would set me up with the service manager to do a walk through. I asked the manager if I could see a new Whitehawk on the lot to compare my trailer to and discovered that the ceiling is hanging down and not solid to the roof hence the reason the one corner of my slide out hits the ceiling when retracted. Also it looks like the slide out is out of alignment. My wife was pretty livid and based on the money we spent told the manager we wanted a new trailer. He replied that it doesn't quite work that way. The manager asked if we would allow them to try and fix the issues and if the repairs were not to our satisfaction than we could discuss options. My worry is what will happen after my trailer is out of warranty as it is already falling apart and its brand spanking new. They said they would try to have the issues fixed in a week but I am not going to hold my breath.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #6

Sounds like regardless of the issues you are having with the trailer you have found a decent dealer.

At least he has expressed an interest in correcting problems and issues that you have described, give him a chance to prove himself.

Too often you hear of issues being presented to the dealers and they blow off the customer until the customer comes here looking for answers and in the end the factory has to get involved because the dealer is not fulfilling their side of the deal.

Hang in there, it sound like you're headed in the right direction.

By the way, we camped in Anacortes last year and loved it there... I envy that you only had to drive an hour and a half, our drive was 12 hours... but well worth it

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Sounds like regardless of the issues you are having with the trailer you have found a decent dealer.
That is where I would disagree. All those issues should have been checked and addressed before the unit ever left the lot. As was mentioned above the dealer is supposed to do a thorough (and that means checking everything) PDI before telling the customer to come pick-up the unit.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

I will attempt to attach a photo of the PDI checklist provided by Jayco, it looks like, to their dealers. I found it very comprehensive.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT_PDI.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	7432

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab, long box, Duramax and 3.73, SRW
Equal-i-zer 1k WDH, 2013 White Hawk 27DSRL

Los Madrones, a little slice of Texas hill country heaven
www.losmadrones.com
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #9

The PDI checklist is a great tool. IF the dealer actually uses it as intended. In my case it was just handed to me as a completed document. It was not filled out as we did the walk-thru. As a matter of fact the generator was check off as run tested OK. As hard as I looked I was unable to locate the generator that they claim worked properly! Fortunately this was not my first rodeo and I knew what to look for and test before taking delivery.

Unfortunately, some dealers will throw a first time buyer under the bus.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

You guys pay good money for something and you should get a new trailer. I agree with the wife.

After so many problems with a brand new trailer, I would definately be seeing red flags!

Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote