Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2023, 05:49 AM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
You bet. Stuck to a canned ham. You pulled a small tab of metal at the lid, threaded it through the "eye" of that key, and twisted it around the top of the can to open it. Turned many of those. I think coffee cans too.
Sardine cans too.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #742

You guys must have been poor. I had the spout that you shoved into the oil can to pour the oil into the engine. That way you wouldn't get oil all over the block. DW threw it away a couple of years ago. Anybody remember a timing light and a dwell meter?
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
You guys must have been poor. I had the spout that you shoved into the oil can to pour the oil into the engine. That way you wouldn't get oil all over the block. DW threw it away a couple of years ago. Anybody remember a timing light and a dwell meter?
I still have my push threw the top oil can spout, my dwell meter, and my timing light gun. Although they are in the bottom drawer of the tool box.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:03 AM   #744

Quote:
I think I kind of remember!
Attached Thumbnails
889CD5D5-2352-46E3-95D9-82313285A1D0.jpg   EDCADF9B-A7DE-4E24-96B1-2F625AB116DA.jpg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:52 AM   #745

I gave my timing light and dwell meter to my son when I gave him my 73 corvette. I bought it new after I graduated from college.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:26 PM   #746

Quote:
I gave my timing light and dwell meter to my son when I gave him my 73 corvette. I bought it new after I graduated from college.
73 is my dream vette. When/If I ever get an older vehicle to use my old timing light on, it will be the 73.
The 73 is the only year with rubber front and chrome rear. 72 chrome front and back, 74 rubber front and back.
Instagram @wanderingpeaches
www.youtube.com/@wanderingpeaches
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:39 PM   #747

I still have my timing light and Tach / Dwell Meter AND I just sold my Sun Engine Analyzer about a month ago...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:27 PM   #748
Site Team

I have a round headlight intensity meter for all of you that are interested, and have been looking for one for decades!!

And yes, several church keys, timing light, dwell meter, and Snap On fuel pump pressure gauge. All of them are safe.....somewhere...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #749

Im so old, I don't remember any of the crap mentioned in the last 8 posts. Wait! Maybe I don't remember cuz I am so old!

Reminds me of the story of the couple in their 80s that were worried about remembering things, so they went to the doctor and each had a physical. After all the tests were done, the doctor told them, that for being in their 80s, they were in pretty good physical condition.

Ol' Edgar asks the doc, "what should we do about simple things, like walking into a room and forgetting whet we were going to do?"

The doctor says, "well, just keep a small tablet in your pocket and write down what you're gonna do whern you get up."

Edgar and Edna like that idea and tell the doc, "okay!"

After arriving home, the two are watching TV and Edna gets up. Edgar asks, "whatcha gonna do, hon?"

Edna replies, "I'm gonna make a chocolate sundae. Do you want one, too?" Edgar says, "yes, please!"

"Would you like some sprinkles on it too", queries Edna? Edgar replies in the affirmative and then asks Edna, "aren't you gonna write that all down?"

Edna says, "don't be silly, I can remember that!"

After a period of time, and some banging of pots & pans, Edna hands Edgar a plate. Edgar, kinda surprised, yells, "what the heck is this??"

Edna replies, "it's what you asked for, bacon, eggs & hash brown potatoes!"

Edgar looks at Edna and states, "yes! But you forgot the toast!!"

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:00 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I still have my timing light and Tach / Dwell Meter AND I just sold my Sun Engine Analyzer about a month ago...
Did he actually pay you? My son doesn't know there is a difference between sell and give. He did pay me when I picked up his deer from the processor, which I thought was nice seeing as I am too cheap to pay to have it done, so I butcher my own.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:15 AM   #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
Did he actually pay you? My son doesn't know there is a difference between sell and give. He did pay me when I picked up his deer from the processor, which I thought was nice seeing as I am too cheap to pay to have it done, so I butcher my own.
I sold it to a stranger. Sun was the brand name of the analyzer... My son borrowed my truck the other day and actually put gas back in it before he brought it back!
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #752

I still have my Heath Kit engine analyzer, timing light and compression gauge.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 PM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I loved Heathkit stuff and bought so many different things including my first computer, the H89. Car test tools, tube tester, voltmeter. You name it, I bought it. Never went with their TVs though.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 PM   #754

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I loved Heathkit stuff and bought so many different things including my first computer, the H89. Car test tools, tube tester, voltmeter. You name it, I bought it. Never went with their TVs though.
My first color TV was a Heathkit, a 21” in a nice wood cabinet. I wanted to see the upcoming moon landing in 1968. Turns out that was in black & white.

I was a technician at the time and thought it would be an easy, fun project. I put it together over a weekend with very little sleep. Got it all finished, plugged it in, called my wife to come watch…then had a Griswald Christmas Light moment….a single vertical line in multiple colors! UGH…unplugged it and went to bed. The next day I gave it the once over and found a wire in the power supply that I forgot to solder. Turned it on a had a beautiful picture. Worked trouble free for many years.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:25 PM   #755
Site Team

My first Heathkit was an Electronic Workshop 11 that I received as a Christmas Gift.

I bought a house in 1976. One of my first mods was replacing the doorbell with a Heathkit TD-1089 Programmable Doorbell.

I had so much fun building the doorbell, the day after Christmas that year I purchased a Heathkit GR-2000 25" color television. I sprung for the optional remote control, which was also a kit you built, but passed on the digital, on-screen, clock.

My goal was to have the television completed in time for the Super Bowl. What an impressive picture it had for televisions of that era. I couldn't afford the optional Early-American cabinet, so it was placed on an aquarium stand, displacing an old GE B&W set that became our bedroom television. We used it that way for over two years until I could find someone who was discarding a console television big enough to accommodate the 25" Heathkit. A Zenith console became the candidate for the transplant. With some minor modifications the Heathkit fit perfectly in the Zenith cabinet. It was placed in our living room where the aquarium stand was and moved to our bedroom to return to it's old job of holding our GE B&W television.

The Heathkit GR-2000 served us until 1993 and was replaced with a 31" Quasar. The set sits in my garage as a museum piece. I hate to dispose of it because it is somewhat of a unique television and the number sold was low compared to volume of sales made by the major brand televisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Heathkit Electronic Workshop 11 (1961).JPG   Heathkit Electronic  Programmable Doorbell (1976).JPG   Heathkit GR-2000 25 Inch Color TV (1976).JPG  

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:13 AM   #756

You can still "dabble" a little.....

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop
Old 03-29-2023, 07:36 AM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I've got a tale about my Heathkit Engine Analyzer. After some awful soldering, I did, it never worked. Never. But I left the batteries in it and forgot about it.

Months later I pulled it back off the shelf to give it some rework only to see the batteries had leaked all over.

This is back when your Eveready D cell batteries had an address in Madison, WI to send the device to, had they leaked.

So I mailed off my non-functional, never worked Heathkit Engine Analyzer.

A few weeks later, it came back cleaned of battery goo and...

...working!

I felt bad for that poor tech that had to fix my solder joints.
I must have runined his week.

But I was grateful for their work!
Old 03-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #758

I am so old that we actually went to school when it was snowing. We had one snow day in 12 years of school.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:35 PM   #759
Site Team

Grew up in northern NY, off the east side of Lake Ontario. Lots of lake effect storms over the course of winter. My school was always the last one i n the city to close when we had deep snow on the ground. There had to be a foot down, and more to come before they'd consider closing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:12 PM   #760
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You can still "dabble" a little.....

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop
I went to the website, and while it works, I’m not so sure whether it’s totally functional. The copyright dates at the bottom of the webpage stop after 2021 and some of the icons I clicked on took me to a webpage on eBay. There’s not much merchandise for sale on there also. Some of the categories I clicked on did nothing. There’s hype on there for changes coming in 2017, though, unless I was in the Twilight Zone, I think it’s 2023 on my calendar.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote