Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #181

I was a cub scout and boy scout for a while until other activities got in the way. I had to choose between Boy Scouts and Civil Air Patrol. I went CAP as I was interested in the military and later spent 10 years in Light Infantry so I got to go "camping" a lot then.

My son is in cub scouts and is a Bear this year. For me I am the webmaster as well as run the pinewood derby since it is all computerized now. I also co-lead the den since we have 15 boys in the Bear Den. It is a bit much for one Den Leader. We are supposed to meet in a local library but never go there. Normally we have the boys in my shop working on some project.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #182

Scouting

I have matured to a pup. As a scout, I camped in every kind of weather. One time, it rained so hard that my air mattress, with me on top, floated out of the tent. I awoke soaking wet. Another time I dug a foot of snow off the ground so I could set up my tent. I attended Philmont NJLIT. I think I have earned a little comfort later in life. I am not prepared to transition to a full RV, but my pup treats my family and I quite well. Although my kinds have done the full tent experience since they were young, they really like the pup.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #183

Eagle Scout at 16. (1986) Troop 658 Los Alamitos, CA
OA Brotherhood
SPL
Summer camp at Camp Tahquitz, Lost Valley and Emerald Bay on Catalina Island
Goflight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #184

I missed out on cub/boy scouts when I was younger but did participate in the Fire Department Exploring program. A year and a half ago my son came home and said that he wanted to try out Cub Scouts and somehow I got talked into being his Den Leader..... You know the one hour a week is all it takes.... Well needless to say it is some of the most fun that my son and I have together. We love going to Camp Cutler for Cub Scout Adventure camp. He is learning so much and having such great experiences I really hope that he sees it through and keeps in the program.

mdeisenroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #185

Was a Cub Scout in the 70's, Tiger leader, den leader, Webelos leader, asst Scoutmaster, Scoutmater, committee chair and now back to asst Scoutmaster. I really love the program and enjoy the time I get to spend with the Scouts. I had three boys go through the program two of the Eagled out and one made it to Life Scout.
Yours in Scouting
Jesse Ramirez ASM T-122
Bigbeartroop122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #186
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeartroop122 View Post
Was a Cub Scout in the 70's, Tiger leader, den leader, Webelos leader, asst Scoutmaster, Scoutmater, committee chair and now back to asst Scoutmaster. I really love the program and enjoy the time I get to spend with the Scouts. I had three boys go through the program two of the Eagled out and one made it to Life Scout.
Yours in Scouting
Jesse Ramirez ASM T-122
Thanks for that report! I'm still a SM, have one son just wrapped up his Eagle project and two others planning theirs!.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #187
Site Team

I was a cub and boy scout during the 50's. Some my best memories are the things we did and learned as a scout. A scout is: Trustworthy, loyal, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient,cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. If we all lived by those principles this world would be a better place.

I see that now they are allowing girls to participate. That would have really made our camping trips more interesting!

Seriously, what has gone wrong with this world?

Many I know have left the Boy Scouts and are involved in Trail Life USA instead.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:13 AM   #188

A scout is: Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverant.
Eagle in 1969 Troop 129 Pittsford, NY.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #189

I made it to Life. One of my biggest regrets is not finishing.

Not to make this too political, but I'm not for the BSA letting girls in. It just changes the dynamic way too much. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts. Nothing wrong w/ it the way it was.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 AM   #190

Crabman
Best of luck to your sons on their journey down the trail. I'm sure they will do just fine, when parents get involved in the program their Scouts always seem to be the ones to excel I guess the apples don't fall far from the tree.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #191

Well a boy scout is all those things mentioned by the scout oath but apparently not anything that is implied by the name. BOY scouts has been an important male bonding and leadership learning organization for a 100 years, teaching that we should open doors for our mother and wife and others. We help those in need and so on. So much for the Girl scouts I guess as this seems to be a direct slam toward that organization. What it really is, is a collapse of common sense and the rejection by the modern generation of he, she, his, her, and any gender related reference. I would never encourage any of my grandsons to join the Modern scouts of America as the organization no longer stands for much of what is in the oath.

I started as a Cub and ended many years later as a Life scout. Enjoyed those years and what it taught me about being a man in later life. Too Bad!!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #192
Site Team

The recent decisions of the BSA have been debated ad nauseam on social media. I would prefer to leave it out of this thread and stick to our members and their families scouting history.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The recent decisions of the BSA have been debated ad nauseam on social media. I would prefer to leave it out of this thread and stick to our members and their families scouting history.
X2
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #194
Site Team

My second oldest son achieved the rank of Eagle a few weeks ago! My twins are currently Life and working on their Eagle projects. Proud Dad!( and proud Scout Master)
Old 12-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #195

Congrats Crabman, the Scouts should be very proud of what they have achieved.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #196

Cub scout, Boy Scout (Pack 26, Troop 26 and Troop 178) Northwest Council (IL). Eagle Scout (TP 178), Assistant Scout Master. Also 3 years staff at Namakogon Scout Reservation (Northern WI). Philmont Scout Ranch (2 years extended hiking/camping trips).

Honestly got enough ground time. Told the wife if we go camping, it's off the ground.

My kid brother also made Eagle (3 months before I did).

He ended up owning his own accounting firm. I traveled the world as a photojournalist and a geophysics degree.

ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #197

Somewhere back in the Stone Age, growing up in the UK (where, after all scouting originated) I was a Sea Scout.

From my last house there, I could actually see Brownsea Island, the site of LBP's first -ever camp.

Despite the name, we did camp on land too, but I also learned how to rig a tent on a small boat... not a skill that's much in demand these days, I'll admit ! ... and you did have to be careful with campfires...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #198

I'm an Eagle Scout. I was the first Eagle Scout for Troop 291 based in Covington, Indiana. Once I graduated high school, I went to Nashville Auto Diesel College in Nashville, TN, I worked with the local Boy Scouts there while I attended school. I worked as a Junior Assistant Scout Master back in Indiana and as an Assistant Scout Master while in Nashville. My brother and I were Cub Scouts, Order of the Arrow, and Eagle Scouts.

I'm an old school Boy Scout. I won't say anything about the current status of the BSA or my opinion of what's happened.
4silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #199

Troop 198, Indianapolis Indiana.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #200

Star Scout from early 2,000's here. Favorite annual trip we'd take was a canoe trip UP, yeah up the Mississippi River. It took us quite a few hours just to paddle a couple of miles upstream to an island where we would camp for 3-4 nights. The paddle back was a breeze.
JaycoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote