Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

Spotify

I like Spotify (and I will not lie!). I sync it up with Sync3 using android auto in my truck and it's a great alternative to Sirius (and it's free).

However I'd like to use it in my home too, and I'd like to do it conveniently. Our home system is old-school - a pair of Chane Music speakers, a Sony blu ray player for CD's and movies, and a mid-2000's Harman Kardon receiver. That's it - stereo only with wonderful sound. The HK is the Spotify weak link because it has no streaming capability, but I don't want to get rid of it, so what I do now is use the blu ray player - which has the Spotify app pre-loaded - to stream over the home wifi. And it works good! But it's terribly inconvenient. I have to turn on the TV, the HK, the blu ray, and fetch my phone, and then go to the Spotify app on the TV screen and open the Spotify app on my phone, and then turn off the TV so the screen isn't blaring in our faces. The obvious solution is Chromecast Audio and I intended to get one but they've been discontinued just in the past few weeks and there is no Google replacement.

Is anyone out there in Jayco Land in a similar situation as I am - juggling a phone and 3 remotes - and do you have any suggestions for a Chromecast Audio alternative? There is no HDMI or USB port on the HK so I would have to use the auxiliary plug.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #2

Could you use a bluetooth dongle? Granted if your phone has Bluetooth I think you could use a simple bluetooth receiver and that plugs into a 3.5mm headphone jack. They work pretty well and are fairly cheap.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlkn View Post
Could you use a bluetooth dongle? Granted if your phone has Bluetooth I think you could use a simple bluetooth receiver and that plugs into a 3.5mm headphone jack. They work pretty well and are fairly cheap.
I haven't been able to find a bluetooth that plugs into AC. The only things I've seen so far are battery-powered and car-powered (same thing I know) and I don't want to have to recharge it all the time. Have you seen anything different?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #4

I have used a cheap Bluetooth speaker like the one below with great success. Just sit it by the stereo and plug it in the headphones jack and you can kee it plugged in charging while you use it.

OontZ Angle 3 Enhanced Stereo Edition IPX5 Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Volume Booster AMP 10 Watts Power, Custom Bass Radiator, 100' Wireless Range Bluetooth 4.2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OYASRG..._y6hxCbHY8PVH9
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlkn View Post
I have used a cheap Bluetooth speaker like the one below with great success. Just sit it by the stereo and plug it in the headphones jack and you can kee it plugged in charging while you use it.

OontZ Angle 3 Enhanced Stereo Edition IPX5 Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Volume Booster AMP 10 Watts Power, Custom Bass Radiator, 100' Wireless Range Bluetooth 4.2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OYASRG..._y6hxCbHY8PVH9
Oh that's a good idea my friend! Thanks! I'll try it
Old 02-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #6

Does the Receiver have any available audio in ports? If so, just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Does the Receiver have any available audio in ports? If so, just get a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

-Michael
Yes. It's a mid-level HK receiver from probably 2003 or 2004 so it has the usual array of audio-in/audio-out/phono/aux, etc. There's a 3.5mm auxiliary-in on the front panel of the HK that would be perfect for a Chromecast Audio. Spotify can "see" the CCA and even Spotify Free works with it. But displaying the infinite wisdom and consumer awareness of corporate America Google decided several weeks ago to discontinue the CCA without a replacement. I ordered one from an ebay site and will keep my fingers crossed until I actually have it and see it's the genuine article.

Spotify is not the only game in town but it is my favorite and my wife knows how to use it. There are many devices to stream it, but it's generally the more expensive of those devices that can use wifi for streaming (streaming over bluetooth is more common but the quality is not as good). That's what makes the Chromecast Audio so perfect - it's cheap, unobtrusive, and streams over wifi.

What I'm doing now is using my Sony blu ray to stream. It has Spotify built in and my phone can look into our wifi and "see" the Sony. It's a bit quirky though. The app has to be opened on the phone before turning on the Sony and I have no idea why. Lectronic magic!!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

What I meant was use the 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the phone directly to the receiver, then you don't need the Blu Ray player or the TV. Yes, the phone is tethered to the receiver, but the quality would be best compared to Blue Tooth or WiFi.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
What I meant was use the 3.5mm to RCA cable to connect the phone directly to the receiver, then you don't need the Blu Ray player or the TV. Yes, the phone is tethered to the receiver, but the quality would be best compared to Blue Tooth or WiFi.

-Michael
Oh I see what you mean. I have a Fiio and do a straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm from the Fiio headphone jack to the aux on the front of the HK. Trying not to tether my phone in case I want to skip songs, etc.

Tom