Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #1

That's it, I Quit!

I just returned home from an “scheduled 7 night” camping trip at a New York State Park (1000 Islands region). We left 3 days early.

What was once a pristine state park is now a dump. Because of Federal and New York State’s extended and generous unemployment benefits, the park system cannot find any workers to hire. The restaurants are closed. Camp stores are only open noon to 5:00PM. Bathrooms and showers are disgusting, lucky to have them cleaned every two days. Beaches and pools are closed, not because of Covid, because there is no lifeguards, maintenance workers etc.

And don’t get me started on the new crop of idiot campers that are camping. Drinking, toking, 20 people to a campsite to 1:00AM or so, barking dogs (4 next door to me this trip) and the park’s police and/or park rangers will not do anything about it.

My brother and his family were camping in Central New York (Finger Lakes Region) last weekend and he reported the same experiences.

So that’s it. I have quit patronizing NYS Parks until they get their act together. Maybe the new governor will fix things. Probably not.

I will still stay at private and corporate campgrounds as they seem to be quite better as they have standards on cleanliness and behavior and having a genuine interest that their guests enjoy their stay.

PS: I’m sorry for the Scotty Kilmer style click bait to get you to read this.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
Old 08-20-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

Hopefully people have learned their lesson an the next go around will change things top to bottom
Old 08-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
That sucks..... I have to say, things are a bit better over here in Ontario. Not trying to be rude here, but I do hope that a lot of the newbies realize it’s not their thing, and move on. There are going to be lots of newbies that enjoy their new found vacationing experience, those are the ones that will bide by the rules. Our Provincial Parks have made clean facilities a priority during all this..... yes, we pay lots of money to camp here, but at the end of the day, it’s been worth it.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #4

We noticed the short staff at stores in Mesa Verde NP and Archs NP plus few rangers could be seen. Entry staff did not show up till 8 or later and many went through the gate without paying entry fees which must have cost thousands a week in lost fees. Trash pickups and patrols were infrequent.

We stayed in commercial camps as there was no way to get reservations in the parks. Either full or not accepting reservations.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
Old 08-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
I just returned home from an “scheduled 7 night” camping trip at a New York State Park (1000 Islands region). We left 3 days early.

What was once a pristine state park is now a dump. Because of Federal and New York State’s extended and generous unemployment benefits, the park system cannot find any workers to hire. The restaurants are closed. Camp stores are only open noon to 5:00PM. Bathrooms and showers are disgusting, lucky to have them cleaned every two days. Beaches and pools are closed, not because of Covid, because there is no lifeguards, maintenance workers etc.

And don’t get me started on the new crop of idiot campers that are camping. Drinking, toking, 20 people to a campsite to 1:00AM or so, barking dogs (4 next door to me this trip) and the park’s police and/or park rangers will not do anything about it.

My brother and his family were camping in Central New York (Finger Lakes Region) last weekend and he reported the same experiences.

So that’s it. I have quit patronizing NYS Parks until they get their act together. Maybe the new governor will fix things. Probably not.

I will still stay at private and corporate campgrounds as they seem to be quite better as they have standards on cleanliness and behavior and having a genuine interest that their guests enjoy their stay.

PS: I’m sorry for the Scotty Kilmer style click bait to get you to read this.
That is why I like boon docking (dry camping). Find a dirt road and park off of it. That is one advantage we have out west. Lots of room to get away from the whatever type. A well maintained private camp ground is also nice, they tend to keep out the ones who do not follow the rules. I feel for you in your pain. Keep camping and the pest type will stop when they move back to the motels because they cannot afford the RV payments.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #6

We have seen the "Covid Campers" at many private parks as well. There is just a serious lack of respect running rampant. I manage a family owned bus company that runs school, transit and motor coaches. I have lost 37 drivers since last March. Most to unemployment. We bus summer school and I had to pay drivers 8 hours pay for 3 hours work just to overcome the unemployment they were receiving. Our school runs start Sept 1st and I am at leat 19 drivers short. We pay a very decent wage, school bus drivers start at $22 per hour and I can't find anyone that wants to work...

Free money is killing us!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 08-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #7

Haven't stayed in a NYS park in quite a while. The county parks on LI are pretty strict when it comes to the rules. Park employees, park police and county police make frequent rounds and have no issues with dealing with violators. They get a call or see it they deal with it. These types of things you have to nip in the bud or it gets out of hand.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 08-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
That is why I like boon docking (dry camping). Find a dirt road and park off of it. That is one advantage we have out west. Lots of room to get away from the whatever type. A well maintained private camp ground is also nice, they tend to keep out the ones who do not follow the rules. I feel for you in your pain. Keep camping and the pest type will stop when they move back to the motels because they cannot afford the RV payments.

100%. There has been times down in southern Utah where my closest neighbor was 4 miles away.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Haven't stayed in a NYS park in quite a while. The county parks on LI are pretty strict when it comes to the rules. Park employees, park police and county police make frequent rounds and have no issues with dealing with violators. They get a call or see it they deal with it. These types of things you have to nip in the bud or it gets out of hand.

Very true!
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

Was at sacandaga nys Park. EMPTY ! About 25 Weekenders, Monday thru Thurs. About 5 that I saw. River was around 6.8 ft, flood is 7.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Help wanted signs absolutely everywhere you look here in Central Tx. The area is in a boom and you can't get help. The signs are on hwy billboards, shop and restaurant doors and windows, flyers, newsprint, internet. you name the skill or unskill and it's needed but evidently no-one has to work. The shame is there are so very many that are satisfied living off the govt. on the side of the roadways in tents. No sense of self-worth or satisfaction of something accomplished. No identity. Why.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #12

Crazy isn't exclusive to NYS parks. It's everywhere....just as the OP described. The park management, and not just gvmt parks, but all needs to step up and inform those who are looking for employment why their job is an opportunity. Signs alone done hire people. When everyone has a sign out, it's just visual noise....especially in hospitality service work. Notorious for LOW pay.

Also, if the management doesn't create a good work atmosphere, such as remove the riff raff that seem to be the 'new' camper, then guess what, I wouldn't work there either.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
Old 09-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #13

Upstate New York is beautiful but we have always avoided anything state-run there and elsewhere. Private camps can always use the business and we use them almost exclusively. Michigan state parks aren't the greatest either, often crowded and messy with tarps spread everywhere - and that was before the covid mess and government pay to stay home.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #14

Too bad to hear that. What park may I ask? We were at a Thousand Island state park this past weekend and had a great time. We don’t use the bathrooms, that is why finally upgraded to the RB195 from a tent. We are heading Coles creek this weekend and have always had a great time there.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #15

I think it has more to do with the new crop of Covid camper than with the unemployment benefits… they got rid of the kicker a few weeks ago down here (South Carolina), and we still have service industry labor shortages. People moved on since the pandemic and just don’t want to work crappy jobs for crappy wages anymore.
But those Covid Campers are the worse… we just need to be patient and educate them the best we can when we can.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
FYI, that “Free money” ain’t free. The soaring taxes paid for by folks who actually work for a living are paying the way for people to freeload off the government. It’s shameful
Closed Thread