Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #21

The actual reason you should not use the fridge while in transit is because the fridge is only designed to operate while in a perfectly (or near abouts) level setting. The movement stirs up any debris that has settled in the compressor and could (very small could) clog the tubes and blow the compressor. Same principal when moving a house fridge (old not new, new there should be no debris in the compressor) , if you've had to lay it on its side you should allow it to stand up right for the night before plugging it in.

This being said I ran my fridge on propane the entire way across Canada even through the mountains with no problems.
DarryfromOntary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #22

The moment "s/he" mentioned a "pilot," that's all the evidence you need to stop listening.

But, will the fridge burner go out while driving? Probably not, but it's easy to check.

1. Use the belt and suspenders technique the first couple of times. Freeze some blocks of ice or some normally unfrozen items. A gallon of milk freezes nicely. Just be sure to pour off a bit to allow the milk to expand when it freezes. That's your backup to keep things cold just in case.
2. With the fridge at operating temp, and with it on propane for at least a few hours before departure ("force" it to run on gas even if you're plugged in to shore power), check the fridge for a "fault" or "check" light. Mine also beeps at me if it stops running. All good? Then ready to roll.
3. Now head out with the rig in tow...fridge running on gas. After about an hour, pull over and do normal "in-flight" inspections. Tires, loose stuff, hitch and the fridge. If the fridge has a problem, the fault light will come on. If not, the panel will display as normal...same as at home in the driveway.
4. Going a long distance? Well, you've gotta pee sometime...and get fuel. Check the fridge, tires, and the rest again at every stop. These are normal towing checks...just add the fridge to the list.

More than likely, all will be well. If not, your suspenders will keep the contents cold.

If the fridge faults on gas on the road, when you come home, pop the lid on the burner cover and explore options to create a wind break to shield the burner. Of course, you MUST leave plenty of air flow, but even something as basic as metal window screen could admit plenty of air, but create a bit of shielding from the slipstream while pounding down the road. Bonus points on the window screen: no mud daubers or other critters moving into the fridge burner area.

As for the dolt talking about pilot lights, you need to double-check EVERYTHING this person told you. That was lame.

Good luck.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #23

Through experience I learned to always have fridge on. This is true the older I gets. As the units pass the 5 year mark if you turn them off everything settles and when you turn it on it takes longer for it to get colder because the liquid gets thinner. I had My last trailer For 11 years and turned it off one winter. Went camping and it never really got cold. Pulled off the outside panel and smelled the ammonia. It had leaked unit was bad. I went to camping world and for 1100 bucks bought a new one and installed it at the campground. My cousin is a plumber and told me the rule of not turning off fridge once the get old.
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
Generally yes. There is zero chance of an explosion. However I think there are some tunnels in the eastern USA that it’s technically illegal but 99.99% of the time you are completely fine leaving the fridge on while traveling.
Clearly, the consensus is running with the refrigerator operating on propane is OK and works well. I have never had an issue with operation while towing.
And, yes, there are numerous tunnels along the east coast, such as Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel that require the tanks be shut off, but there are also those like the Baltimore tunnels that do not allow any on board propane at all. There are by-pass routes/bridges you have to take to avoid those tunnels.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarryfromOntary View Post
The actual reason you should not use the fridge while in transit is because the fridge is only designed to operate while in a perfectly (or near abouts) level setting. The movement stirs up any debris that has settled in the compressor and could (very small could) clog the tubes and blow the compressor. Same principal when moving a house fridge (old not new, new there should be no debris in the compressor) , if you've had to lay it on its side you should allow it to stand up right for the night before plugging it in.

This being said I ran my fridge on propane the entire way across Canada even through the mountains with no problems.
You are probably referring to residential fridges in RVs because propane models do not have compressors. They heat ammonia which cools by flowing through the system.

According to my Norcold's (propane model) owner manual, "While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected."

I remember this same message from my camper's fridge 27 years ago. I think those old fridges required a higher degree of leveling compared to these days. The ammonia in the cooling tubing had to be allowed to run downhill through the pipes and this required a level unit. The problem happened if the ammonia didn't move. Apparently, at least back then, we were told the movement of the vehicle prevented the ammonia from getting stuck, per se, and all was good. My old fridge was a 3 way - propane, 120 volt, and 12 volt. Don't see those anymore I guess.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #26

Yes

220,000 miles across 3 coaches and everyone one was done with the frig on and I always start with full water tanks as well 😄
wducat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #27

We always leave the propane on when traveling. As others have pointed out, the tech giving the walk through was full of BS and I wonder what other bad advice he gave you.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #28

Really old repetitive question, many do, many don't. We don't, manual says no. But we only travel max of 6hrs a day so frig stays cold w/o need to keep frig going....
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #29

Just one small point if I may..

Propane fridge does not have a pilot light, but it does has a small flame that is on a lot of the time (to heat the ammonia). I drive with mine operating on propane all the time.

One thing I didn't see mentioned above is turning off the fridge (and any other open flames) when refueling the tow vehicle. I have no idea what the odds of blowing up are, but I have personally experienced gasoline fumes igniting from a source over ten feet away.

When I pull in to refuel the first thing I do is turn off fridge and water heater, preferable before approaching the pumps. Just makes me fell a little better I guess.
Davensocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #30

Since 1960, I've never turned anything off while refueling... and I'm still here.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #31

Dealer advice is dependeble 99 percent of the time. Listen carefully, then do the opposite. I shut down for the Bay Bridge Tunnel but admit to running with propane on thru the Baltimore 95 tunnels.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #32

I always run with it on. It takes so long for the convective cooling to get down to temp that it would be impossible not to in some longer driving days. I’m sure it’s a CYA thing on the dealers part. Do it and don’t lose any sleep.
captainbrad1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #33

Yeah, the dealer will tell you that you can tow a 15,000 lbs fiver with a 1/2 ton, that's why you got to do your homework.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote